Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alberto_villamiel

Window Treatment Help!

Hi All-

I just receive my quote from
a Hunter Douglas rep.

This is it:

“For 7 new custom Hunter Douglas Duettes with PowerView Motorization and Top Down / Bottom Up, 1 PowerView Hub, 1 Surface Remote, Shipping & Handling, Installation and Sales Tax:

1-1/4” Cell Size: $8,875.02
3/4” Cell Size: $8,119.30”

5 windows are 69 x 79
1 window at 36 x 79
1 window at 34.5 x 58.5

May I get your opinion about this quote. I am a first time homeowner and we’re not sure if this is A normal price or if we should renegotiate.

Also, any thoughts/experience on motorized shades?

Thank you.

Comments (6)

• calidesign
    5 years ago

Hunter Douglas are some of the most expensive you can buy, but I've had wildly different quotes from different reps for the same HD shades. I would suggest getting a few more quotes from different vendors, as well as a different HD rep, so you can compare cost and quality before you spend that much. If you must have motorized shades because they are too high to reach any other way it may be worth the additional cost, but otherwise I would skip it. The top down/bottom up are worth the cost for the light/privacy options.

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Do you " need" shades for light control or privacy? Or are you looking at window treatment options? Personally I would never spend that much money on any window treatments.

If you post pictures on here you can ask for opinions from the many talented folks on here.

• Joe
    5 years ago

Hunter Douglas wanted $5K for my 12' slider. Instead, I bought the knock-off version and went to France that year!

Go to more dealers and get more quotes for the same items. I think Ethan Allen carries/reps Hunter Douglas too -- maybe you'll get a better deal through them because they drive more volume to Hunter Douglas? Good luck!

• NYCish
    5 years ago
    For HD that seems about right especially for motorized
  • chispa
    5 years ago

HD used to let you shop around the country for more competitive quotes and have them drop ship the blinds. They don't allow that any longer, but there are usually several dealer in your area that you should get quotes from.

I am "grandfathered" with an HD dealer in another state that my family has used for 30 years. Their quote was a bit more than half of what the dealer in Los Angeles quoted me.

• PRO
    Two Blind Guys
    5 years ago

Hunter Douglas is the leading manufacturer in custom window coverings. They are leaps and bounds ahead of some of the other brands out there when I comes to reliability, warranties, innovations, and product options. You pay a higher premium for them but they last longer and are a superior product. Plus they American Made. If you visit the Hunter Douglas site, you can type in your zip and find a list of dealers in your area. Gallery dealers have showrooms and often are competitive when it comes to pricing because of their volume. Check out another dealer in your area to see where pricing stands.