Software
Houzz Logo Print
rabainsz7bpnw

walkers low catmint

7 years ago
How does walkers low catmint grow in pacific north west - Seattle area? Does it spread like mint ? Or is it a well behaved perennial ?..

Comments (75)

  • 7 years ago

    i love my Walkers Low! im in SE idaho so not the same climate but its gorgeous anb keeps color all season long. bumble bees love mine!


    it has self-seeded into some small little plants in a few places, but i tend to let those grow and then move them some place i intentionally want them so its like Hey thanks for the freebie :-D




  • 7 years ago
    My big mound that will enveolpe this whole corner and then some small volunteers in the corner and another a few feet away by daffodils. the roots don't spread how peppermint does, these just seeded themselves I think. :)
  • 7 years ago

    My cat became such an avid trimmer of the Walkers Low that is remained bushy and NEVER bloomed thanks to the close attention of the cats. i guess Should have planted more. Maybe they would have gotten tired of it after a period of time.,,,, Maybe?


    I have mountain lions too, I never thought about that. Another thing to worry about. Mountain lions rolling in the Nepeta.

  • 7 years ago

    Last year I took 3 cuttings from our Walkers Low catmint and shoved into the soil...lol...I kept soil moist and all 3 cuttings grew roots and took off...

  • 7 years ago

    Walker's Low catmint is fantastic here. It can get scraggly looking after a month or two, but then I cut it to the ground and it springs back and looks just like in the spring. It does self seed abundantly here, especially in gravel mulch. Cuttings are easy. Once when I thought I wanted a dozen more plants, I took cuttings, and they all rooted. Division is easy in the spring, just before they start growing. The color goes well with anything. I'll plant anything in that color range, but I find Walker's Low to be the most long-blooming. I think about trying others such as Six Hills Giant, but then I think, "Why, when Walker's Low looks so good?"


    Last year:



    This year, just starting to bloom, a couple weeks earlier than the above photo. Matches the color of 'Victoria Falls' bearded irises quite well.



  • 7 years ago

    @noseometer, thanks for the information about cuttings! I want more catmint so it's a useful tip.

    Are all the nepeta-looking plants in your "last year" pic Walker's Low? It looks like you have several varieties there - the big tall one in the center and then several smaller ones in the gravel. Their blooms have different shades to my eyes too. Are they the cuttings or volunteers that you referred to, or different varieties of nepeta?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Teuth, the Walker's Low is the big plant slightly to the right of center in the first photograph, and slightly below center in the second photograph. The other blue/purple flowered plants in the top photograph, from left to right are: Penstemon heterophyllus 'Margarita BOP', Penstemon linarioides (a darker flowered form), Salvia daghestanica, Salvia x sylvestris 'May Night' (dark purple), Salvia transylvannica 'Blue Cloud' (the loose spikes of blue barely seen between the 'May Night' and 'Caradonna'), Salvia nemerosa 'Caradonna' (reddish purple), Nepeta 'Walker's Low' (both the blue-colored flowers in the far top at the border of the the photograph, next to the Salvia 'Caradonna' and the bigger plant in front of 'Bishop's Castle' rose), Lavender 'Vicenza Blue'' (just starting to color), then the second 'Walker's Low', more Penstemon linarioides (the light blue at the bottom of the photograph), and more Salvia x sylvestris 'May Night' (the dark purple at the right border of the photograph). Yes, I'll plant just about anything in that blue/purple color range that will survive the high desert! This year I took out the Salvia nemerosa 'Caradonna' because it just got too ratty after bloom, even after trying various ways of cutting it back, and it didn't rebloom very well.

  • 7 years ago

    I just planted Nepeta Blue Lagoon. I hope it does well, its only supposed to get 4 Inches tall. https://www.bluestoneperennials.com/NEBL

  • 7 years ago
    And I got blue wonder too!
  • 7 years ago

    One of the wild kitty cats that roam our neighborhood just flattened one of our Walkers Lows...They like to lay in it... lol

  • 7 years ago

    I'm not in the PNW, although often classified that way. I'm in Eastern WA.

    Mine were pretty only when they were new, then they started looking like weeds. If they looked like the pics above, I would have kept them. I'm trying a different nepeta I found at Northland. Souvenir d'Andre Chaudron.

    Internet photo is from Monches Farm.

  • 7 years ago

    I stopped growing it because my 2 cays LOVED to nip off each and every bud. It grew very thick and its form was nice but it never ever bloomed due to their avid attentions.

  • 7 years ago

    Another catmint lover here! I have a NOID one. They are tough, easy-care plants, I like the gray-ish foliage and the blue flowers are gorgeous; I like the billowy affect it offers while in full bloom. After the first flush I hack them down to the ground and within a week or two they re-grow into lush clumps again with sporadic bloom thereafter.

  • 7 years ago

    Our Walker Lows started blooming here in zone 6...






  • 7 years ago
    Ours too.. it’s her first year though..
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Love my Walkers Low here in 5A Maine. Have many clusters planted around our property. For me it is a good substitute for lavender here in the cold Northeast. I did notice this spring that a few clusters have struggled to grow back.....anyone else have that problem this season?

    R pnwz8a thanked Jeff Singleton
  • 7 years ago

    I have one of the shorter varieties - can't remember which one. Mine is growing outside on the porch in a rectangular planter. I've had 3 cats since we've lived here and none of them has touched it. I was disappointed because I planted it for them! I've been surprised that it has made it through our tough winters in the planter. So far, I only have one volunteer from it, growing in a bed near the planter. Love the color and enjoy watching the bees that love it too!

    R pnwz8a thanked linlily
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago




  • 7 years ago

    Oh Jim! How many plants are those?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here's a better photo...

    Two plants of Walkers Low...One on each side of a rose bush which will have red blooms soon...


    Walker Low root very easy from cuttings...



  • 7 years ago

    I've grown catmint for years, without any kind of spread--I guess conditions matter. It splays if you don't shear it back after flowering. It doesn't help that my cat used to curl up in the middle of it, as it is was a nest. Never ate it, just laid in it.


  • 7 years ago

    Thanku Jim for all the great help with catmint

  • 7 years ago

    I had to move mine early this spring, it's transplanted well and blooming now :) Grows in to large nearly 3ft mounds for me if not cut back to contain size. Takes a few years to grow to that size though but I do love this plant!!! Blooms all season long, always full of bumblebees in my yard when it's sunny out

  • 7 years ago

    Cute kitty!

  • 7 years ago

    Ivor's Rose/Flamenco with Nepeta. The rose is about 5' high so this might be Six Hills Giant instead of Walkers Low. I have both and they are bit like dining room chairs--just move them around wherever and whenever you need them.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Walkers Low with red rose bloom...


    Nice pics Ashley and subk3 ..




  • 7 years ago

    Thanks !!!

    Here's a morning sunlight shot I got today :)

  • 7 years ago

    I've got a question about cutting back 'Walker's Low'. I got my plant from Lowes this spring, and it was already blooming and kind of gangly. Should I go ahead and cut it back or give it more time to get established? It hasn't been in the ground a full month yet, just 3 weeks (and a few days).

    'Cat's Meow' was purchased at the same time, but it's still pretty tidy.

  • 7 years ago

    Probably fine to cut back. It is so strong.

  • 7 years ago

    Oddly enough, after deciding to dig up my walkers low this spring I found that it had not survived the winter. I am surprised by this as it seemed to be such a vigorous plant. But it was too large for its spot and I found it to be weedy looking. I have another nepeta called Dropmore hybrid that is much smaller and also hardier. It was developed by a CanadIan nursery. I have had it for many years and have pretty much ignored it. But last year I realized it was more attractive than the walkers low. Now I plan to move it to a sunnier location where I can appreciate it. I hope it survives my efforts.

  • 7 years ago

    Walker's Low does great for me in GA. I dug up two plants this spring, both a couple years in the ground, and divided them into an additional 14 plants to use around the garden. That's a win in my book. Always covered in bumblebees.

  • 7 years ago

    Soon as there done blooming I'll be cutting the plants back a bit...I'll post pics later when I do that...



  • 7 years ago

    The Painted Lady butterflies are going crazy for the 'Walker's Low' nepetas!



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    So far I've only seen bumblebees on ours noseometer...! So cool that your getting butterflies! :-) Real nice!

  • 7 years ago

    Still going strong so have not cut them back yet...They do grow to close to that MOTH rose bush so I keep trimming them back away from it...lol


    Took this pic the other day while we had a break in the rain..




  • 7 years ago

    I have seen the hummingbirds on mine as well! Jim I bet if you put a hook over top of that clump with a feeder the hummingbirds would come.

  • 7 years ago

    Great idea Dingo I might try that!

  • 7 years ago

    Does anyone grow the 'Cats Pajamas' variety? I saw it in a nursery & it looked better than Walkers Low.


  • 7 years ago

    I've seen a hummingird on mine and the hummingbird feeder is just above it!

    There is also a dwarf variety sold here called Junior Walker, which I think is a cute name! My niece wanted it when she saw it planted at a local Starbucks.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    W.L. is by far one of my favorite perennials, but I am opposed to growing it here in TX, especially after reading wantonamras post. I do not know for certain if mountain lions are in the area, but I definitely know nothing will be done on my part to attract them...

    I see a lot of salvias, another favorite and will likely plant that...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have never seen a mountain lion in my walkers low... that was just an aberrant out of controlled thought. I have seen their impressions and track in my bluestem, monarda citriodora and thistle. They go where they go. I think they are more interested in the deer in my field.

  • 7 years ago

    Our WL is still blooming enough to keep the bees happy so still waiting to cut it back..




  • 7 years ago

    ok I decided today to cut back our Walkers Low's just to see how fast they grow back and bloom again... I could of actually left them awhile longer cause they still looked ok...






  • 7 years ago

    Ok Jim, I cut back mine too this morning.. lets c what happens!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I cut our two larger WL way back like pictured above in another post... We have a smaller WL cause it was a cutting...I only cut the blooms off that one...I'll post a pic later...




  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Our smaller WL is blooming already... I only cut the flower stems off..Took 2 weeks or so and was blooming again...

    Our two larger WL I cut back quite a ways are getting larger but not blooming quite yet...But it looks like it will be soon..So 4 weeks or so if cut back much harder....