Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

RRD mites question

Sorry if this is a silly question, but while visiting family in austin, I noticed that all of their knockouts seem to have RRD. one is completely dead, and 3 other show all signs.
My question is this, we are coming back, and plan to work in our yard including putting a couple of Rose's in. Couple of questions:
What precautions can we take? Heard the mites can be on our clothes, car and what not...
Is there a simple fact sheet I can forward to the homeowners? They are not gardeners and have no idea. They did not even notice that one was completely dead. I saw all the signs, witches broom, excessive thorniness, succulent like red growth etc, and worse, all neighbouring houses also seem to have same knockouts with same issues.

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    I can't 'like' this comment, but I think you've asked some really good questions for anybody coming back from a vacation.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked ac91z6
  • 7 years ago

    Alarming.

    Or, as is said here on gardenweb rose forum: scary!

    Once home: Take everyone outside - at least 200 yards downwind from your garden. Put on KC and the Sunshine Band. Volume up to max ( as you are outdoors), and shake shake shake.

  • 7 years ago

    I wonder if I may have brought RRD mites from a bush I would walk by once a week. Maybe you change your clothes at a pit stop and put the clothes in a bag and wash your clothes and hair as soon as possible. As for your car, maybe hose it down when you get home?

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have my DH and kids with me, cant even convince DH to shower again after we get back, but am going to lay down the law! Everyone gets a shower and car will get hosed down...that is about what I can do..

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You can report the siting to the following Report RRD

    Just found out that RRD was found in the county below mine. UGH!

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Reported...told my cousin and explained as much as I could, but its it's hard for people who are not familiar to get it.

  • 7 years ago

    In looking at the map that is provided on this website, I see that RRD has been identified in Bakersfield (first contemporary landscape in California that has RRD) as well as Tulare County. Also positive in Tulare County positive ID of RRD in Tulare County, but no mites present. The cultivar was Caramba.

    The first report in Bakersfield is about 20 miles away from the rose fields in Wasco where Weeks is located. I have no idea where the rose plant that was found with the disease (and I presume mites since it didn't state that they were not on there), was originally grown.

    Don't mean to hijack your thread Rekha, but this area of California is a huge rose production area. Very, very scary. I wish they had stated what the cultivar was that the disease was found on in Bakersfield. Would love to know if it was the cultivar of the rose was and where it was purchased.

    Since the mites are carried by the wind, I wonder if covering the roses (just an attempt to save them) would help against not only the wind but those blasted leaf blowers. I hate those things and refuse to have them in my yard, but my neighbors gardeners blow things around like there is no tomorrow.

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry but I just think it’s overkill to worry about transporting mites on your vehicle, etc. RRD has been identified in Houston, it’s not like you are traveling back into an area that’s “clean”. Life is too short :).

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, it may be overkill, but I work in Houston and live in a county south of Houston and while I am aware that there has been a couple of reports of RRD in Houston, I have never seen one. I see many hundreds of Rose's daily, the landscaping knockouts are everywhere, but did not notice any issues here. But the area I visited in Austin was different with rampant spread.


    My concern was not for my garden, I just started planting recently and dont have anything irreplaceable or so established that I would lose sleep over it. But since I have not seen anything in this area and it was so bad there, I did not want to be the one spreading ut!!



    And I dont think anyone is aware of the issue. I explained to the best of my ability, but as we were leaving, I think they were talking about cutting the stems off. I attribute this to my ignorance and my laclack of communication skill than them. I was hoping that someone on this forum can point me to a simple guide that I can forward on...



  • 7 years ago

    Here’s some info:
    RRD

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio