Software
Houzz Logo Print
glenesa

Re-purposing storage over basement stairs

7 years ago

We live in a midcentury house that has a deep storage in the kitchen, built over basement stairs (see photos). I think the previous owners use this storage as pantry. We remodeled the kitchen and added pantry space elsewhere, so we don't need this anymore.


I'm curious if other people have/had a similar setup and what they have done with it. I understand this was pretty common in houses from the 50s.


We are wondering whether we could build a unit with bookshelves and space to mount a small tv over this old pantry. Looking for ideas and photos. I haven't been able to find anything on line.






Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    I would sheetrock it on this side, will make your kitchen appear much nicer.

    See if you can access the space from another side.

    glenesa thanked Angel 18432
  • 7 years ago

    Sure, you can do anything you want with the depth. You could even have a shallow bookcase that swings open for Way Back storage of rarely needed things. Or you could paint out the doors to match the walls, changing knobs for white finger pulls, and minimizing the door frames. Then just pretend it's not there (but keep the storage for luggage or something).

    glenesa thanked acm
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Add new, different doors. I would choose louvered, to cover the entire space to the floor so it looks as it should, a real door. It does not matter that inside the doors, the bottom is higher than the floor, but is much more aesthetically pleasing.

    glenesa thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 7 years ago

    Looks like a perfect place for bookshelves and a tv. Maybe a drawer, too. If you eat in that nook, a drawer would hold napkins, candles, lighter.

    And, perhaps put the tv on a swivel (lazy Susan) on a pull-out shelf, so you can see it from the kitchen.

    glenesa thanked bpath
  • 7 years ago

    My parents store gift wrapping supplies in their deep cupboard similar to this. I store linens in mine. It is perfect for my winter down comforter. Mine isn't in the kitchen, though.

    What is on the other side?

    glenesa thanked Lady Driver
  • 7 years ago

    I should have mentioned that we're not intending to keep the doors. We're thinking of having an open unit with bookshelves and space for a flat tv. We would have a false back to reduce the depth and see if we can open it on the other side (the garage) for additional storage there. I was just curious if other people had done something similar and how it turned out. Here's a photo of the space above the stairs. On the other side is the attached garage.


  • 7 years ago
    I had a house that this in my kitchen. It was for a microwave! Best located microwave I have ever seen. But perhaps not for you.

    Built in bookcases are a great idea.
    glenesa thanked mainenell
  • 7 years ago

    If you can access that space from the garage, I would just sheettock it and hang thr TV where ever it works best.

    glenesa thanked Karenseb
  • 7 years ago

    if its on the other side of the garage i would make a pass through (doors on both sides) so you can load groceries right there !

    glenesa thanked deb s
  • 7 years ago
    Paint it over so that it’s just part of the wall. Right now, it’s an intrusion.
    glenesa thanked jbtanyderi
  • 7 years ago

    Very interesting and helpful advice, everyone. It seems many people are pointing out the odd length, which makes it look like it doesn't belong in the kitchen. I still think we would like to have space for cookbooks, tv, ipad, etc. and would prefer recessed for better use of space. We have two young boys and spend a lot of time in the kitchen, cooking, feeding, etc. How about a unit that would go floor to ceiling, even if the bottom is fake (i.e just wood panel)?



    I'm attaching pictures of the rest of the kitchen for context.

  • 7 years ago

    Here it is with doors to the bottom. It does look better.

    Your kitchen is really nice. If you wanted even more storage, you could have a 15-18 inch deep wall unit made for the entire wall with TV incorporated. Access original storage from garage. Use baskets to hold balls and outdoor equipment.

    glenesa thanked Karenseb
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    opening the shelving into the stair well looks like a dangerous endeavor. You would not be able to reach the shelving without a ladder, it looks like to me. I like the idea of a shelving unit, with a false back, where you could open from the kitchen side, to store little used items. That might be difficult with a TV in there though as you'd want easily removed items to access the panel to retrieve what is behind.

    Could you mount a TV on a raising panel, like they put on cabinets. Then you could raise the panel to get into the shelving. You could put pull out trays inside where the shelves are now to access the deep dimensions.

    like this:



    glenesa thanked enduring