Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Happy Easter, and I have a request...

7 years ago

I am so frustrated. My garden is bursting with bloom, and I cannot figure out how to take even decent pictures with the camera my nephew gave me because my old one broke. So, since there are so many folks on here who take fabulous pictures of their gardens, I have a question for them - What I want is a simple, easy to use, camera to take CLEAR pictures of my garden, including close ups of flowers.


That's it - I DO NOT want to take movies, know how to set the millions of different options, spend months trying to learn how to take pictures, etc. I had one camera which was OK, but it was incredibly fragile - the same camera broke in the same way both times I owned it (and it was $$$), so I finally got smart and stopped buying that one. Oh, and I do not want to have to change the batteries every other day, so one which uses one re-chargeable battery would be best.


Not sure there is such a camera, but thought I would ask. I AM NOT interested in art photos, just a camera which will take CLEAR pics of entire areas of the garden, or one bush, or one flower, without me having to push more than 1-2 buttons (not counting the one to turn the camera on). It can cost up to $1,500, but I have discovered that quality cameras all seem to be made for super "enthusiasts" or professionals, and those cameras know how to build rocket ships to the moon, and do many other things I do not want to do, but are all way too complex and confusing for me to use for just simple pictures of my garden. Is there a camera which takes high quality CEAR pictures for dummies?


Any ideas or thoughts would be really appreciated. Right now I cannot take any pictures of Spring in the garden, which is making me crazy. Thanks -


Jackie

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    An iphone takes good pictures for the purposes you are describing, and is very easy to use. I'm not sure about the relative quality of the cameras in competing smart phones, but I'm sure there are other good options.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Use a tripod. The lens that you use is very important too. I can definitely tell the difference between my images when I use the lens that came with my camera, versus when I use one of my DH lenses that are better "glass". I would also suggest taking a trip to Samy's Cameras in San Francisco. I have not purchased anything from them in a number of years, but they definitely, have/had a reputation of carrying a good range of products for every consumer. The people there may steer you in the right direction.

    Ann takes great pictures, and is very thoughtful in her photography. She lives in No. California. Maybe she will see this.

  • 7 years ago
    Jackie, I would not know but I hope someone will help you. I am done with cameras and now I only used my phone.
    I was wondering what happened to you as I know you post remarkable pics of your garden. I cannot wait to see them and I bet it will blow me away with blooms all over. I can just imagine your place with such beauty. Can't wait :)

    Happy Easter !!

    jin
  • 7 years ago

    Jackie, go on the internet and google "point and shoot cameras". They're single lens reflex cameras. Look at the reviews for the different models and find one where people don't complain about the batteries not lasting, or where they say that batteries last a long time. They all come with an adapter to charge the batteries, where you just plug the camera into the socket via a cable, so recharging the batteries is very simple.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Canon Powershot SX740 HS (or something like it) - it is a simple point and shoot 20 megapixel camera that will allow you to zoom in and take close-ups. Your images will be clear. For best clarity, something I am lazy about, but it does make a difference, use a tripod.

    Oh... it has re-chargeable batteries too.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I don't think it's worth spending a huge amount of money on a camera, to take photos for this forum... what I have found is that the larger the file size, the clearer the image is, and I'm delighted with it... but try loading them onto Houzz and see the problems... they either won't load or time you out... so what I've had to do now is reduce the file size on my photos but by doing so I lose clarity... I can see the difference... but they do load quicker, and I can post more images...

    I'm not sure if that's a ''good trade'' or not...

    oh..Happy Easter too.. I'm forgetting you are all just getting up there, and we're off to bed...

  • 7 years ago
    I hope Bayarea girl also see this and Ann ...hmm who am I forgetting that's right Paul.

    But I totally agree with with Marlorena for forum it does not matter.

    All the new phones comes with great pictures unless you want clarity and zooming in with better pixels but I would not know much. I think the above mentioned names might know a huge difference .

    jin
  • 7 years ago

    I think you could take great photos with an iphone.

  • 7 years ago

    Jacqueline, I do hope you are able to post pictures, Your Roses are always gorgeous. I agree with Sheila, the iPhone takes pretty good photos.

  • 7 years ago

    There are you tube videos with reviews and tutorials, tips and tricks, etc. on just about every newer camera out there. Helped me out a lot with my last one.

  • 7 years ago

    My android takes pretty good pictures and there are lots of photo editor apps.

  • 7 years ago

    Glad you've got what you like. Canon shows warmer tone which doesn't work for me. My favorite is Panasonic Lumix LX10. It is great for shooting flowers in close distance and shows more shades in sunny days. Anyway, hope to see your new rose pictures soon!