ben_tso

My Texas rose garden extravaganza

BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
April 22, 2019

I came back from a vacation to find that my long awaited spring rose extravaganza is well underway! This section of the garden blooms early. Prominently featured are Granada, PJPII, Tree Peony Bartzella, Rosie the Riveter, and Brigadoon. Many more pics to follow!

• austinkisses2008

Hate fade so many do that and some years our springs are short and summers long.

• austinkisses2008

Can you get picture of that F graft very curious.

Drought-resistant gardening ideas

Have you tried roses? I live in Texas and the heat is brutal. More, my house is west facing, meaning I take that hot, hot Texas sun for close to 8 hours daily. My flower bed/garden faces west. I planted roses and they can take the heat. No matter how hot or dry, they thrive. Also, another plant called an oleander can handle it as well. I don't know if it is available to you, but you look at that plant...it grows! It does not require hardly any water and absolutely no fertilizer. Its blooms come in white and few shades of pink.

Need BIG help with landscaping our backyard for a rose garden.

You will need to gather some information, just as a professional landscaper would do. Where is the sun shining at various times of day? How long does each area of the yard receive full sun? Which areas of the yard are always in shade? From what direction are the prevailing winds? What is the drainage pattern in the yard? Have you had the soil tested so you know which amendments will be necessary for a successful rose garden? How much annual rainfall does your region get? How will you get supplemental water to your plants - drip system, sprinklers, ...? Measure your yard. Get graph paper, 1/4 inch = 1 foot in the yard. Make lots of idea pages. If you find a particular element you like, make a copy, cut it out and try it on a different page. I know there are computer programs that you can use for exactly the same thing. Sometimes it fun to make plans the traditional way.

POLL: Biggest Garden Menace?

It depends on your location , but here in Pennsylvania I find squash vine borers to be the worst menace by far. They decimate my zucchini plants and bore into most of my winter squash. They get my vote because they seem so hard to control. I have plenty of other nasty pests, but they don't make the list because I have ways to counter them. Borers are number one.

Do you like Gravel Gardens?

I agree with Elizabeth. I have only seen attractive gravel gardens in magazines. Not once have I seen one in person, and I am an old timer. I can't imagine with the rain in Florida why anyone would want gravel instead of lovely plants. To the person in Utah, dust cannot fly about when the soil is covered in plants. I still find no excuse for gravel. I have experienced the dust of St. George, so I do know what you mean. I don't always hate gravel, I like it when used in Japanese Gardens. There it is used for ornament and not as a way to get out of tending one's yard. It seems like fewer and fewer homeowners feel an obligation to their neighbors to keep things looking nice. There was a time when people would have been embarrassed to do a lot of the stuff people freely do today. Ok, I'm off the soapbox
  • austinkisses2008

Strange part of your post comes in at different times for me. That group with graft was delayed. How long did it take for it to be bush?

• austinkisses2008

Thank you both for the nice words about my garden. This one is several years ago but is favorite of all. Some days just everything shines.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Austin,

Just one season, they grow fast. I’m really enjoying this thunderstorm, so long overdue, can’t wait to see the garden in the morning :-)

• austinkisses2008

Have 80 lb dog that wants in my lap he has forgotten what that noise is thinks it is 4th

• austinkisses2008

What is the large pink bush towering above all. That is a fantastic display of beauty. Good design!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Austin,

The big pink rose is Eden, with clematis Prince Charles intertwined.

Have you grown Munstead Wood? How would you compare it to Dark Lady?

• austinkisses2008

Dark lady flowers much larger and look like a peony. When she blooms in sprays all the bloom huge. That “recent pic” of her and Chicago in vase showed flowers from one spray. M flowers often turn back red like prince. Not a color I like. Nice plant but not as spectacular for me. M flowers do not last as long, cut or on bush. Bush has extremely mean thorns and lots of them, they always get me when I cut for house. I had 2 bushes, one got RRD this summer. Because of Munsteads heavy thorns it fooled me for about a month, no other obvious symptoms. I was actually surprised when A&M confirmed RRD. Smell is great stronger than Dark almost too heady but smells are personal. I will not be ordering another M but just ordered a new Dark, gonna put that baby in sun after revisiting my old pictures for this thread. Others love M but this is my experience. Does Eden do that year round? It has my fav flower form.

• austinkisses2008

Prince Charles will be in my future it beats my choices for clematis, or maybe my culture just not as good. I can never figure out what part of those clematis vines are alive. I am a novice grower for c and bearded iris. Neither grew in Houston.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

austin, clematis grow wonderfully well for me in east Texas. Bury roots deep enough, mulch to shade roots and feed. Monte Casino, a dark purple/burgundy, was glorious this year with Pretty Lady Rose and Plum Purple. Ernest Markham is one of the best. I have alot in pots that I am going to plant. They can sometimes look dead, but just lightly cut into the stem. I cut most all of mine back to 6-12" in the spring - it makes them put out more branches. If you have any, I would leave them alone until early spring then cut back when you see them start making new growth. You will be richly rewarded!

Judith

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Well this thread is blowing me over with all the fantastic blooms !!! I can’t get over these photos . I’m so thankful y’all come here and share your pictures of all your hard work . Thank you !!!!

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • austinkisses2008

Thank you alameda much appreciate info. My clematis is summer flowering Ramona. I loved the depth of color and flower size. She is pretty when she blooms but I do not feel I am caring for it correctly. It is in deep shade at roots on right side of Abe on that arch. I may have misinterpreted about shady roots, I assumed it would grow into the sun with Abe. It gets very little if any sun until it grows up on arch. I seem to break off all the vines when I trim back Abe in Feb., it sounds like I should be cutting her back in 12" .... have never cut it back except by accident. She does throw beautiful blooms off and on during spring, early summer and fall but sparsely, not enough to be spectacular, nothing like pic Ben sent. Maybe I need a different variety or plant in more sun. What do you think? Where do you and Ben buy them? Big plants preferable.

• austinkisses2008

BenT -I just spoke with K&M he said the Fort floribunda bushes might get too large for my needs. 3'x3' is ok for me but I clip down often to keep balance when they overgrow that by more than a foot I do go for neatness and some structure in my garden. I pulled out several happy roses because my beds felt messy and overgrown after spring, I work for year round form, color and order; it is what works for my personality. What do you think for Love Song, Violets P, and KoKo on Fort. rootstock. (Still considering other best varieties for orange group Rosie for sure but she not on Fort. and my garden seems to be shrinking) I do not mind buying moderns on DH rootstock but I would like a nice shruby shape like my Austins become and those you posted. Making choice putting in orders. This site has been so so much help. What a nice group of rose people it has, a pleasure.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

austin, I buy from 4 vendors: Brushwood Gardens [they may be having a fall sale], Joy Creek, Silver Star Vinery and Garden Crossings. For fun in early spring, I buy the little tiny bags of clematis at Lowes, Walmart. I pot them in 1 gallon pots in good soil and grow them. Fun early spring project when I am itching to start growing something in the greenhouse. You get big plants from these other nurseries, but bear in mind that clems at first look like big root systems with little bare sticks for stems. What you want is lots of little stems coming from the roots - these will turn into lots of vines which produce lots of flowers. There are 3 types of pruning and there are several types of clems - the large flowered are my favorites. They really are easy plants to grow and mine enjoy all day sun - I give mulches for root protection. Buy a few from one of these nurseries - they will give good instructions. They will delight you in spring! They dont bloom as much as roses, but, like daylilies [which I also adore] are magnificent when they bloom. Also, go to the Clematis forum for some informative threads. There used to be a lovely lady from Conroe who posted, Jeanne, who had the most gorgeous clems - her fenceline was covered with them and they were glorious!

• austinkisses2008

thanks Lilly, BenT's great photography helps me so much. He captures the beauty of his garden and the bushes so can see how things grow and look in the garden.

• austinkisses2008

Alameda thanks!!! . I bought mine in a 3 gal. pot from local nursery. I read a good bit about them but still felt ill informed, your input is what I needed. I had no idea they would grow so big and beautiful in D until I saw Ben's pics. When do you plant those root systems. I am itching to get started; you and Ben gave me a gardening gift. XXXX

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Wonderful! So glad to be of help! Now would be a good time to plant - not sure where you are, but unless you are up north, fall is a great time to plant most anything - let the roots get a good start, and they will be ready to bloom in spring. I have a bunch in pots I need to get in the ground and now is perfect time to do it. You will really enjoy these wonderful plants!

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Austin,

I think most of those newer Weeks floribundas have a nice full habit...Rosie, Love Song, Violets Pride...whether on Fort or Dr Huey.

The Viticella group of Clematis are smaller flowering but very well suited to our hot humid summers ...some of the huge flowered Clematis may look great as an individual bloom but can’t give a good mass effect here. I have three mature Viticellas:

Venosa Violacea, shown here with Lady in Red

Madame Julia Correvon with Evelyn

Prince Charles (and Eden)

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Wowser! Awesome thread!

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
  • Ann9BNCalif

BenT - you have the most fabulous, amazing garden! Besides your roses I absolutely love that scarlet quince! The size of the blooms is incredible. I used to work with quince a lot when I did Japanese flower arrangement. I didn't know there was a variety like yours which would have been wonderful to work with! Thanks for sharing your fantastic garden - it really is an extravaganza!

Ann

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • austinkisses2008

To my clematis helpers... I just ordered 3 clematis from Silver Star.

Crystal Fountain 'Fairy Blue', Perle d' Azur, and Prince Charles. If it is a clematis, it has to be blue for me and the closer to sky not purple the better. Wish me luck. Read posts from Jeanne on Clematis forum, I like her input. Special thanks Alameda and Ben. Alameda I am in Dallas, you are in East Texas right?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Good luck, Austin. I just received 8 great looking clematis from Silver star and planted them. I'm afraid my planting was less ideal than it could have been. I probably should have had deeper holes. Oh well, at least the crowns won't rot. Her plants are great. I think Perle d' Azur is the bluest here. I did get Multiblue, which I saw in Ninfa, Italy, and that looked quite blue too.

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas

austin, congratulations on your clematis purchases! You will be so happy when you see what nice plants you get! I am 2 hours from Houston, in Lufkin. so we are about in the same zone. Once you see what they will do in the spring, you will be hooked. They look so good on obelisks and with roses. Now you need some daylilies to edge your rose beds with!

• Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI

BenT your garden is an inspiration, and I love reading your commentary! So many great pictures on this thread! Thank you for sharing!

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI
  • austinkisses2008

well ok then I think I will double my order. Any other suggestions on varieties? Silver S seems to have lot of stock? Not big on the burgundy reds but like purple if it is not red purple. Your purple with L in R looks like a good color bed but flowers are so small. I know you said those were the easiest to grow but I like a changledge. A interesting white to go with Paul Neuron? I am inspired! I do daylilies alamedia, but I really lean to things that bloom all summer. Loved Lufkin, my daughter showed her Arabian horses there every year to qualify them for nationals. Such nice people.

Problem: My creative muscle served me better when I was making $$ from it rather than spending $$ to flex it. Oh well, I will be the best dressed bag lady on the Dallas street corner when I hit 80 with no funds. :)

• austinkisses2008

I read somewhere that the 3 most expensive hobbies were yachting, equestrian, and gardening- In that order.. I seem to have hit up 2 of the 3 and I'm just a middle class gal, not affluent. Thank goodness I am not big on boats beyond decorating them.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I have hit 2 out of the 3 myself - gardening and horses. Decorating/projects around the farm/house and chickens/ducks would fall under the "I am spending my children's inheritance" category.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

austin, when did your daughter show Arabians? I showed/bred them for nearly 40 yrs. The "alameda" in my thread comes from Alameda Arabian Farm. I bred AAF Kaset, US/Canadian National Champion in 1984, & son AAF Kadet, and rode Natl. Ch. Eskabor . Showed for years and loved it! Now raise Miniature Horses. Had so many good times at shows in Lufkin and Nacogdoches! Garden Crossings, that has clematis, is offering free shipping over $25. [sorry to get off topic]

• austinkisses2008

OMG-I am so impressed! My daughter is in her early 40’s we were with Buck Grass and later with Bob Battaglia. Started when she was 10 until soph. In college and won a lot, esp. regionals in Ft Worth but never higher than top 10 at Nationals. She was showing before they divided into youth national. This requires a whole discussion betw. us someday. What a small, small world. I know your horse fabulous. Congratulations, the joy of those wins is unparalleled.

• austinkisses2008

Off subject sorry rose friends.... but beauty is beauty& her horse is famous.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Thank you for posting that lovely photo! He was an orphan and I adored him and he, me. When we sold him, I was heartbroken, but back then, too much $$$ involved. He still knew me 2 yrs. later......now in Brazil, probably passed away. Arabian business isnt the same - I got busy being married, raising our son so showing at the level I did - just couldnt give it my full attention. Would love to converse with you sometime - how do I send you my email? I know Buck and Bob......they were excellent.

• austinkisses2008

I have no idea how to do personal contact. I am doing good just to negotiate the gardenweb forums, past all the house design stuff and Houzz ads. If you find out post me here. Maybe someone else can advise us. I would love a visit.

Those were good times for me and I feel privileged to have been able to participate. It left a hole when we stopped as it had been so all consuming for so many years. I don't apologize for living vicariously through my daughter's showing. It was special.

• austinkisses2008

Garden crossing plants are a bit small for me. The bigger the better.

I am currently looking for a 15-30 gal Merlot Redbud. In case anyone knows where to get one. I need to replace a Forest Pansy that is giving up the ship and leaning sideways over my roses.

• austinkisses2008

Alameda, enjoyed seeing you are getting several "likes" on that pic I posted of Kaset. A beautiful horse always takes my breath.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

So special.......thank you for posting that. You might be interested in googling his son, AAF Kadet, 1988 National Champion Futurity Stallion, that I also bred. My most beloved.......Eskabor, a pure Polish gelding and I won 3 National Championships together, numerous Top Tens. He is my soulmate. Still working on how to connect you with my email..........I was at Walmart, bought another Cl. Polka and a Fruity Petals........that one will be planted at the gravesite of my beloved little dog Fruitcake [Fruity] who passed last December. It is a beautiful, happy rose - this is my 2nd one. We are now getting quite a bit of rain and the roses are responding......plan to put out triple 13 tomorrow. Have a friend who puts a bit of this out on his roses every week or so and they are magnificent!

• austinkisses2008

Osmocote is that what you meant by triple 13? I relate to soul mater pets that Dobie pic is mine. Died in Jan , I am still mourning

• austinkisses2008

Can I send my email address to you mini website

• austinkisses2008

Clematis: I read that Hagley Hybrid liked shade does anyone grow it? any other good semi shade varieties,(4-5 hrs sun) . My other wish is for one that would give blooms all summer in our heat. that may not be possible in Texas. Ben your Prince Charles and 2 other clematis are arriving today, I read about why the group 3 is usually better for D so probably best I avoid the "challenge" of the larger flowers. One more thing... you mentioned "humid" describing our area. I always describe our area as dry maybe Dallasites think I am nutts. Houston & area drips water on its driest day so guess it is all relative to your experiences. :)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

austin, my website is down currently. I have written Houzz twice to ask about this - I have their phone number, will just call them. Re clematis - I love the large flowered ones and I grow mostly those and have had no problems with them. Need to grow some of the others to see how I like them. Only very occasionally will mine get wilt - then all you do is cut them down to the roots, they grow back again and no problem. I have Hagley Hybrid, but it is still in a pot - it grows and blooms well but would do so much better in the ground. And yes.......I have a clematis pot ghetto too - and a daylily one! Clems really are easy, I have found. Plant them well - yours will come with instructions - and you will be thrilled come spring. I will keep trying about my email address!

Judith

• austinkisses2008

thanks again, I plan to try some large flowered after I cut my teeth on these. I also read that east Texas is prime for growing clematis, I know we get hotter and hot last longer. Regardless your input is encouraging and I am going to try the big guys. Silver Star lady super nice and very helpful. Bushwood seemed to be out of the ones I wanted.... I love love love sky blue in anything but I bet it fades in our heat so that is why I selected Perle d' Azur. It seems that cutting back to ground in Feb would work with my overgrown roses so that is a plus for group 3. I still have no idea how Ben keeps his Bearded healthy between his roses, Mine were raised high and I tried to keep water away from them as best I could. It could be that mine grew too thick with all that healthy soil In my rose garden,. I moved them last month. . Iris and clematis perfect go-alongs for the English rose garden look.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Austin

I just remembered that I have Crystal Fountains Blue clematis , too. Here it is, just getting started, with the climber Blossomtime

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Now we have fall weather and nicer blooms, finally. Tahitian Sunset, Melody Parfumee, St Patrick, Double Delight, Lemon Spice, Red Intuition, Barbra Streisand. The vase is a Aalto Freeform vase. It was featured in Ortho’s All About Roses book many, many years ago and I always wanted one...I won an auction on EBay and it came in the mail yesterday :-)

Clematis are enjoying fall too, this is Mme Julie Correvon

I posted this elsewhere, but this is my first bloom of Typhoo Tea from a band. I‘m so impressed with its powerful lemon tea scent, like no other.

• austinkisses2008

Geeze Ben I do not think there is anything I like you do not grow. I am getting Crystal tomorrow in mail and was googling how it did not Texas. It seems to be rather small so I was going to put in on right side of arch by itself with Olivia growing on left or if grows big then with Olivia. Arch goes over flagstone 3-3 1/2 ' wide walkway. Because I like order I leave one side of path arches bare when they are no wider than that. Also Olivia is a strong grower. Advise please.You are such help so glad you are gardener instead of doing another hobby - saving me many mistakes is placing and new purchases.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Yes, I think your space is fine for Crystal Fountain, it really is a small plant, a rambler that you have to force to climb.

Speaking of blue/purple, have you grown Thunbergia Battescombei? It’s a fabulous perennial for our area blooms continuously from May to Frost. It can take heat as well as the most heatproof plants, you can plant it the hottest sunniest part of the garden like Lantana.

• austinkisses2008

Grew Thunbergia in H, several varieties, not sure name. Mine had bigger flowers, some sky blue. I loved them. One grew rampant and up into my holly tree, gave great yr round display...everyone asked me what tree I had that bloomed those big blue flowers. Tropical has its rewards. Excited to research your suggestion thanks. Crystal sounds like a weak grower better up close and alone, was hoping for big flowers. Oh well yours is very pretty. Putting Prince Charles on Abe arch after seeing your pics.

• austinkisses2008

this is such a good thread going all the way back to BenT first post. Lot of information from many people I would like to keep for reference. Is there any way to do this on Houzz??

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Click the Save button in the first post of the thread and save it to an “Idea Book” Must be first post and not a comment of that post. that’s how I save interesting threads.

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • austinkisses2008

thanks how do you get back to first post my devices are not showing those; this is a super long thread going on spring to fall and so much good stuff

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

I use the Houzz app on my iPhone/iPad and the Save button is under the title “My Texas Garden extravaganza”. When I link to the post on my iPhone’s Safari browser then the Save button is moved slightly and is now under the initial text/picture of the original post rather than under the post title. For both the Houzz app and the link used in the Safari browser, the original post is at the top of the page. Here is the link.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5677489/my-texas-rose-garden-extravaganza