Software
Houzz Logo Print
joelcoqui

Backsplash behind range

7 years ago
Anyone have photos of their backsplash behind their slide in range that does not have a pencil tile’s or a picture frame. I want to change it up a little bit from the rest of the backsplash but I don’t want the picture frame behind the range.

Comments (24)

  • 7 years ago

    How about a piece of stainless steel or some other metal? How about a piece of the countertop?

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

    This is the only picture I found, but it does have a rope liner.

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

    Or use the hood brackets to delineate.

    Range Hoods Cast Stone Project with DeLeo Fletcher Design · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. I have a 30 inch stove put the hood is 36 with space on each side of it. I have 42 in in between the wall cabinets so there's 3in on either side. I don't want to put a trim anywhere.

  • 7 years ago
    Houssaon had the best suggestion. IMO, Stainless steel is the way to go. Every time something spatters on my tile and I have to clean it off I wish I had put stainless up. Cleaning would be so much easier.
  • 7 years ago

    what about back-painted glass?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You mean like this ? I'm sorry, can't get the photo to load but they used a totally different tile behind the range. Must have been the same thickness. You could get a similar result by using different colors of the same tile or maybe mix matte and glossy glazes. I did that in my backsplash. Mine are randomly intermixed but you could use one of the glazes, say just the matte, behind the range. It would be a subtle change.


    https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-monochromatic-kitchen-wheaton-il-contemporary-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~16710960

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Stainless, or stick to one tile. Honestly the range and hood, assuming a pro style, are ENOUGH a focal point. You really don't need an accent behind it at all.

    Failing that? Find a great ART print you love, metal frame behind glass, and proportional to the space. Hang it there : ) Bonus? Change it up when you want. It's a teeny screw hole in the grout. Second bonus? Glass and a bottle of glass cleaner. ...........



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    IMO this look only works in huge Tuscan style kitchens and using one tile everywhere is a look that is timeless. IMO the hood and range are the focal point and if you must I like Jans idea .

  • 7 years ago

    I would prefer a pane of solid glass, although I am obviously biased in that direction. Here is my range with the back-painted glass. Maybe someone with photoshop skills could shop some tile onto the backsplash to the left and right of the range as an example. Sorry for the crooked picture.

    .

  • 7 years ago

    That looks nice...thank you but no glass. I think I will do a subway in a very soft off gray color in a horizontal pattern and behind the range with the same tile do it in a vertical. same tile.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Depending on the style of your kitchen you could do a thin Schluter strip around the accent tile design. I can't find an example but something similar to this but around the tile...


    Here is a picture with Schluter strips in between tile. Obviously you would want one line of Schluter strip to outline your detail but hopefully you can piece these ideas and pictures together in your mind...



    Here's my photoshop attempt at the idea.

    Something similar to this but with a thinner piece similar to the above photo...



    Hope this sparks some ideas!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I remodeled a kitchen a few years ago and used a mirror as the back splash. The customer loved it as reflected a lot of light onto the cooking surface and was very easy to clean.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm thinking about my back splash as well. My stone contractor wants me to install a waterfall island but I'm concerned that in the future when I think it's time to change the kitchen tiles working around it will be a nightmare. So I'm thinking of using the extra stone carried up the back wall behind the range. It's a large open wall space 60"wx75"t. I've seen some photos and I'm just not sure. I like modern kitchens so that might work??? It's hard to commit.

  • 7 years ago

    I agree .. the waterfall countertops is a trend right now.

  • 7 years ago

    We put a niche in the wall above the stove so that I can always have salt, pepper, and oils easy at hand. Inside the niche is the same color tile as backsplash but a different shape and texture. No pencil tile; a piece of counter top material for the sill, same as window sills. Since the accent tile is the same color as backsplash, it just provides a little texture, not a stark accented area.




  • 7 years ago


    PRO

  • 7 years ago


    PRO

    Beth H. :

    Hi, Beth can you tell me where the last kitchen of the 3 that you posted came from?

    Thanks

    Barb

  • 7 years ago

    barb,,,it's from Addisons Wonderland blog. beautiful work she does

    https://addisonswonderland.com/take-full-tour-colorful-whimsical-1905-wonderland/

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    A simple approach would be to use the same finish tile but in a different direction, size, or even shape, just to break create a subtle change and not be too overpowering. It would transition fine since the thickness would be the same.

    If you prefer the idea of changing the material, stainless or countertop material would be our next suggestion. Here are a few examples of stainless steel risers and backsplashes we’ve done. I hope this is helpful!

    An example of a 20” stainless riser:
    Waggoner II · More Info


    An example of a 36” stainless riser:
    Bluffview · More Info


    An example of a 24” (maybe higher) stainless riser:
    Vendome Dallas · More Info
  • 7 years ago
    2017 kitchen remodel with our slide-in range backsplash - love it!
  • 7 years ago

    the stainless risers remind me of commercial pro kitchens. I will have a black induction range. Its a different look. to Barbara Davis I love the black tile on the side wall of the last picture you posted. Do you know what that is?

  • 7 years ago

    I think you meant to ask Beth H that question - By the look of it, I'd say a honed Nero Marquina marble 4ish by 16ish, corners clipped and laid in a chevron.

  • 7 years ago

    @Jan, I like the idea of having changable art behind the stove. You said it only requires a screw hole in the grout. What does it screw into, the backer board or....do you need blocking? thanks.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Unless your picture is a 80 lb thing??? Not to worry. ..... really. A drill bit and a nice little screw. that's it. Get it in the right spot , meaning have what you are HANGING on hand.