Software
Houzz Logo Print
spectrograph_nc_7b

Looking for a cream tea rose ...

Good morning, all! I live in North Carolina. I have a grouping of Madame Lombard and Crocus Rose out by my mailbox. I don't spray this location, because of the mailbox and herbs. Madame Lombard has been spectacular and only gotten better each year. Crocus rose, however, has never really thrived and now seems to be going into terminal decline, with no blooms at all this spring.


I'd like to preserve this color grouping. The hot pink of Madame Lombard matches well with white colored with suggestions of yellow and orange from Crocus Rose. I've found that tea roses seem to survive organic gardening here well. I grow Austins, tea roses, chinas, bourbons, hybrid perpetuals, shrubs, hybrid teas and damasks.


This spot would do well with something fairly upright and not huge. Ducher, a white china, would actually be perfect but I already have two in another location and I hate duplication ...


What are you recommendations?? What does well in the Southeast no-spray, that will grow upright but not dominate? Thanks!!

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago

    Safrano. It is cream and in late fall, more pink apricot undertones appear.

    Crocus roses in my yard are whiter with only yellow undertones.

  • 7 years ago

    Safrano! I forgot about that one! They have one at Duke Gardens, which doesn't spray for fungus and therefore has been a good indication of healthy roses in the area. I haven't been back this year, but maybe I should go see how the spring flush is doing ...

  • 7 years ago

    Does anyone on the East coast have experience with Westside Road Cream Tea?

  • 7 years ago

    Alexander Hill Gray comes to mind. My climate is very different and I don't know how it would do for you, but it's a very pretty rose. I no longer have it because the area where it grew became too crowded, but I'd love to have it again.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I've been looking at cream colored teas a lot lately, trying to figure out a mystery rose. See if any of these might work for you. How about Rubens? I think this could be what I have. It's called white but the color is a soft creamy white with a little blush here. No blackspot and seems to winter well without excessive dieback so far. Also, what about the Hubner Plot Tea? That one might be hard to find but I think that Jeri has grown this one in California. She might know how well it would handle humidity and winter. The pictures are memorable and remind me of Rubens. What about Soncy, a found Bermuda rose? Its yellow is soft and pale and looks cream. It seems to be a smaller tea. What about Devoniensis? I remember that Christopher (Aquaeyes) grew this one in z 7 and Malcom Manners recommended it. It is a smaller tea and so pretty, looking a little pinker or yellower depending on the weather. If you have room for a mannerly climber, what about Brightside Cream? It's also a found Bermuda rose that may have noisette behind it too. I wish I had the space to add all of these but teas do well for me only in certain spots and they are currently filled. Good luck on your search!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    A great recent Tea is Faith Whittlesey. It has other genetics than just Tea, but behaves typically for the class. Always in heavy bloom. By itself you'd say it was white, but up next to something like Ducher, there is definitely a bit of yellow/cream cast to it.

  • 7 years ago

    What region were these photos of Faith Whittlesey taken in?

  • 7 years ago

    Dr. Manners is in Florida.

  • 7 years ago

    Spectograph, yes, on the campus of Florida Southern College, in Lakeland.


  • 7 years ago

    Faith Whittlesey has to be one of the most gorgeous and floriferous white roses around. This rose is certainly on my radar now.

  • 7 years ago

    I’m growing Westside Road Cream Tea, in NE FL. It’s a moderate grower, in its second year, and very healthy in my no-spray garden. Beautiful creamy white blooms. Unfortunately I don’t have photos—it’s a very short rose right now. :-)