Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

2019 Iris Pictures

mstywoods
4 years ago

I'm starting a new thread for this year!

Mine are just getting started blooming, and looks like I lost a few plants over the winter :( I'll be covering up the ones with buds or blooms before the wet snow hits tomorrow.

These 3 are from the 2017 swap

Thunder Eagle

Dew Buzz Bye

Drawing Straws

Comments (68)

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

The broom may yet perform. I have another one in another location that is just starting. It is in a more shaded location because the bush beside it grew fairly fast (I think they are supposed to be in full sun). This one is on the south side of the yard so gets maximum sun.

It's been a tough spring. Such nice weather where things get started and then a blizzard or freeze or in our case hail comes along and sets it all back. Then of course there are the hungry bunnies. We haven't caged our flowers except the roses because last year they wiped one out by eating all the new growth and then damaged some others.

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Funny you should say that - I was taking my walk around this morning checking some of the new iris blooms, and noticed some teeny tiny yellow buds on the Broom! They look to be on some new growth on one side of it, so I'm relieved to see that it has survived the winter and is growing!

Here are a few pics of some more of my iris blooms:

Just Teasing (I believe):

A few I don't have names for:

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Gorgeous photos! I love Just Teasing. I have never seen a pink one before and would love to have that in my yard.

When the broom blooms get fuller go out and take a whiff. They are very fragrant like lilacs.

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another one from the swap bloomed today - it's a miniature! Florence French. It's very tiny, as you can see in relation to the normal size iris leaves on the right. Not sure if in future years it will become a little larger or not, but it's very cute and delicate! Love the purple striping.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

That miniature is so cute! I saw some really nice bright yellow miniatures at Tagawa last weekend and was really in love with them.

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

another unknown

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Fairie Court bloomed yesterday.

I spent 1 1/2 hrs last night covering as many blooming plants as possible (majority being irises, but some peonies with buds, etc.). For the most part, looks like things made it through ok despite the heavy snow packing down my makeshift draping. Including Faerie Court - bloom is still looking very pretty!

4 years ago

Mstywoods, I also have Faerie Court but it is no where near blooming yet. So interesting that you live so close to me and yet things bloom at such different times. I was really not enjoying yesterday trying to figure out what I could cover and what I just wasn't going to be able to. I remember that discussion about using socks to cover iris blooms a few years back! But I just didn't do it. I am hoping the iris will be alright. Hoping for the best!

• Laura (Z5a Fort Collins, Colorado)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Look who finally bloomed today!! (After two years!)

A bit beat up by the snow and frost, but soooo pretty. And that classic grape soda smell! It simply HAS to be Iris pallida.

Anyone have the parent plant, so I know who to thank? ;)

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

DeZi, I am going to go out to Cherry Park to see the blooms. Any tips on finding the area you planted?

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

It's on the corner, the southeast end of the park, opposite of the baseball fields.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Thanks! The map is very helpful.

4 years ago

Finally got a few blooms.

This is my sea of NOIDs that I planted the year after we moved into our house when my backyard was nothing but dirt. I got a huge box of iris rhizomes at a church rummage sale for $4. They still look really great and grow where very few things will.

Hemstitched

Red At Night

Lots more coming on...it's Iris season!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Beautiful popmama!

I finally got over to Cherry Park. What a treat!

A dog walker stopped to chat. He said the lady who lived across the street used to pull her hose over to water them as she loved them so much. She moved this last winter so he wasn't sure how they would do going forward. He said they were much admired! There were many buds that hadn't opened yet so more show to come.

My favorite the peachy pink. I'm going to try and go to the next iris swap in hopes of getting this one.

2nd favorite was a sherbet orange (foreground).

Another exotic one.

View from the bottom of the hill.

We really enjoyed strolling some of the adjacent paths and admiring the gardens and trees.

4 years ago

Wow that Cherry Park iris hill is stunning. Way to go people! And how cute that someone dragged their hose over to water them. I think they will be fine. Once they are established, they really shouldn't need supplemental water. I too love that blush pink one. I am going to Grand Junction soon and one of the stops is an iris farm. There is also an iris farm in Palisade that recently sold out to an orchard and they dug up all the iris and gave them away. I will likely end up with some of those. I will let you all know if I come back here with a load of iris to give away.

4 years ago

Gorgeous, popmama!! That's so cool, that you snagged those mystery NOIDS at a church rummage sale. Red at Night is a stunner. Love the stone/tufa(?) containers, as well. Did you make them?

mmmm12: Aw, that was very sweet of that lady to care for those irises. Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm especially enamored of the peach and orange blooms, as well.

I've never been to an iris farm, but it's definitely on my bucket list.....

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

Mmmm12 Thank you for sharing the pics, I'm out of town and I'm missing the show. I will try to label them so, Nancy and I can keep track of them. She has worked very hard on the hill. Did you smell the white ones? They smell like grape and I think they are re-bloomers too.

4 years ago

No I didn't make the hypertufa containers. The reddish one was made by a local garden club member. I keep trying to persuade him to teach a class. The large rectangular one on the ground was gifted to me by someone who was moving out of a house into an apartment. The oval one I got at a yard sale last summer. It's really heavy! I have a trough/hypertufa addiction.

• gardenchloe
    4 years ago

I'm late to the party. It's been a rough spring for my garden. The pictures below show some hail damage. Another hail storm hit us again two days ago. Luckily I took some pictures prior....

Red at Night from tomatoz1

Sarah Lauren from Liz

My yellow NOID from a former coworker. The blooms are much smaller this year due to the late frosts.

Abigail Provides from Liz

Dark yellow NOID from Liz

Wabash from Liz. It's hard to tell what they should look like due to the hail damage

NOID from catnohat

Celebration Songs

Mother Earth

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wonderful gardenchloe! I love Mother Earth!! Wish I had gotten those at that swap - very pretty!

We got some hail as well couple of days ago. My irises survived fairly well, with just a few signs of damage. Many of my other plant leaves show more battered signs, however.

Here are a few more of my irises that have been blooming:

Hemstitch ( you can see some of the other irises in my iris border blooming in the background in this shot)

Champagne Elegance

I think this is a white rebloomer that I got on one of the swaps, and that I somehow misplaced (had to dig up from one spot, and got it mixed up with other ones). Will see if it reblooms this year!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Love the fact that there are rebloomers. I should replace mine with those so I can enjoy them through the summer.

4 years ago

Hemstitched was quite prolific for me this year. It multiplied a lot!

Here are a few from today. Celebration Song from the 2017 iris swap. It's such a delicate color combination. I should have waited for the sun to be on it.

Raptor Red also from the 2017 iris swap.

One I acquired last year from a Craigslist ad, Wild Irish Rose

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oooo, Wild Iris Rose and Celebration Song!!!

4 years ago

A few more blooming as of today. These are all from the 2017 Iris Swap.

Champagne Elegance

And Metaphor really trying to outdo itself with 5 buds on one stalk!

Another stalk of Metaphor

The color is really peachy!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    4 years ago

I think they're all pretty, but I'm with you, Misty, on the Celebration Song! That color combination is to die for! Oh, how I wish I had a half an acre to plant with Iris!

Skybird

• tomatoz1
    4 years ago

Oh popmama! I am so happy to see Metaphor is doing so well. I brought them to the swap in 2017 and mine did not survive 2019. Could you please save a couple for me in the future? They are so pretty!

4 years ago

tomatoz1, yes I can save some Methaphor for you. Gardenchloe did remember that those came from you. I'll dig one out for you next week if you want. It looks like I have several! Let me know. I'll be around.

• tomatoz1
    4 years ago

No hurry, popmama. No hurry, and thank you for offering. Maybe we'll be able to have another iris swap this year. They seem to be very prolific this year despite the snow and hail. If anyone wants white or yellow, I have at least 3 clumps of each that need to find other homes.

• gardenchloe
    4 years ago

Tomotoz1, it would be a lot of fun to have another iris swap. My neighbor was just telling me she would love to go to it with me sometime.

4 years ago

Stairway to Heaven (also from iris swap 2017)

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How fun - my Stairway To Heaven just bloomed as well, popmama!

Here's a couple of other newbies:

Coloradan

Wabash

You can tell there was some hail damage to them, unfortunately. But still pretty! tomatoz - I think I lost Metaphor over the winter :(

4 years ago

High Five mstywoods on the Stairway to Heaven! I am loving the variety this year. I now have plans to re-arrange some to make better color combinations. I think Metaphor would look really nice paired with something red or copper. I have a lot of ideas now to find the way to do it!

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great idea with placing next to Metaphor - coincidentally, I had those two varieties place next to each other! lol But I either lost Metaphor, or it's sort of mixed into a couple other varieties next to Stairway and it's just not blooming (yet?).

Here's a couple more:

Purple Double Ruffle (as it was called by the women who gave the rhizome to me):

Buttonwillow:

4 years ago

A few I acquired last year that were not from the swap.

Starship Enterprise

Cherry Blossom Song (mislabeled Rose Princess)

Orange Orangutan

• tomatoz1
    4 years ago

Many thanks to popmama for offering to share her Metaphor with me. To my surprise, I had planted some at the community garden and they are finally in bloom. The extra rains this year have truly helped the iris.

Metaphor

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

DeZi Lo and Nancy,

You are to be congratulated on creating such a wonderful hill. I just saw the comment about fragrance of the white one. I did see one white I liked quite a bit. Here is a picture.

The long stalk was sort of sideways. Is this the one with good fragrance and is it by chance Immortality?

I did smell some of them and maybe this one but I can't remember for sure since there were so many.

The neighborhood guy I talked to took quite a bit of pride in the plants and the hill. I think it likely gives everyone in the area a boost to see something so pretty.

4 years ago

Sooo lovely!! Can't believe how many different kinds there are out there.

Has anyone been able to match their irises to the grape kool-aid one I got at the 2017 swap yet? (see above pic in the thread). I'd love to know its "provenance" for future swaps. Heh.

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    4 years ago

It's been a long time since I've participated in the group, but I'm back. ;-) BloomingAmaryllis. Here are my Spring Iris Pics.

• gardenchloe
    4 years ago

Hi BloomingAmaryllis. These are gorgeous. Do you happen to have the names of these iris?

• gardenchloe
    4 years ago

Circus Stripes from tomatoz1

Fiery orange

Hemstitched

Nancy Lee from tomatoz1.

Gnu Again

Abigail Provides

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    4 years ago

The last image I posted is Hooked. The others, I can't say without doing some research. I more often than not get them from swaps or https://www.iris4u.com/

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

mmmm12 yes there is a good chance that there are quite a few Immortality planted on the hill. the stalk you posted was amazing. I stopped by today. The show is almost over but still very pretty.

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

Mmmm12 here is the before pic from Nancy, with just the 2 poppies she planted to start off this dream.

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

More No IDs from Cherry Park

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

cont...

• gjcore
    4 years ago

Some photos of the front yard.

Most of the iris have come from the swaps.

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    4 years ago

Hi All. Is the swap time and location planned. How long before the swap can I harvest my iris to swap? Will this just occur during the fall swap?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Blooming, the summer swap was just last weekend. There will also be a fall swap. Do you have pictures of what your harvesting and even the name if you know it?

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

Blooming, I can also dig up some iris for you if you are looking for anything I have.