Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nachiketa_hota

Help needed on backsplash selection!

NH
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We have selected white quartz countertop (similar to marble in looks with grey veins) and dark maple cabinets. We need your help in selecting the right backsplash. We prefer clean modern lines. We are leaning towards rectangular glass tiles. We have selected a few (pics below). We welcome your thoughts on the following:

a. which of these would your prefer

b. what pattern would your recommend (subway, herringbone)

c. any other material/color that's not selected here you think would work better

Thanks!

-NH

[Note: This pics are for illustration only. In the actual kitchen the space between countertop and the bottom of the cabinet will be about 18 inches, which means that we would need about 6 stacked rows of tiles in option 1, 3, 4 and 5, and, about 9 rows of tiles in option 2 and 6]

Comments (11)

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Could you share pictures of your kitchen from further away as well? Or is it not built yet? If it's not built yet, wait until the cabinets and counters are done before selecting a backsplash. It's really the only way to gauge scale and pattern in the space. As for colours, well, monitors and screens can't be trusted but on my current Mac monitor, the third option looks promising. The last option intrigues but not sure the tile harmonizes that well with the counter veins. Hexagon glass tiles colours look good but the pattern might be too busy with your counter.

NH thanked tartanmeup
  • kariyava
    4 years ago

Number 2!

NH thanked kariyava
  • Sibylle
    4 years ago
    It’s hard to say w/out seeing the full picture, literally, but I would say based on the tiny snippet option 3
  • NH
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your quick response. Please note that these are the samples that I was trying to match in a tile store yesterday. For Options 1, 3,4 and 5, I have only shown two rows to illustrate the patterns - i envision at least six rows of tiles in the walls in the actual kitchen.

tartanmeup: Thanks for your inputs. Third option has white tiles that actually look light greyish from some angles - its very neutral. Kitchen is not built yet.

kariyava: Thank you for your inputs. Please note that I would need about 9-10 rows of these tiles as they are 2 inches each in width. Do you think they would look too narrow on the walls? My kitchen is 13' X 12', so not very large.

• parkerc01
    4 years ago

I second the comment to wait until everything else is in. I thought I knew what I was going to install for a solid 6-8 months and then ended up doing something completely different once the cabs and counter were in.

• rguilmette
    4 years ago

Took me month or two to select the right gray tile to go with countertop and cabinets. You really should wait until the cabinets and counters are in and then bring home samples to view in all lighting and around your room. I thought I would go with light gray glass tiles but never could find the right gray. Either too blue or purple. Almost went with taupe as my counter veins are very varied. Ended up with a hand glazed light mottled gray tile that's perfect. And i needed to see the movement in the granite in place because it's so different than the sample I was walking around with. It really impacted the choice of pattern for my backspash as I needed to keep it more simple than originally planned. My final choice was so different than my initial expectation of what I was searching for! Contractor got a little annoyed with me but it was worth waiting and searching with many, many samples being lugged home, to get it right.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Wait to see, but I think a taupe option could work well - either ceramic or glass.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

option 4

• kariyava
    4 years ago

NH I think the scale of #2 will be fine, but if you are worried about it I would go with #1. I just think that color (and the dimension that glass gives you) will be best for your kitchen.

• PRO
    Abbey Ragsdale, Designer
    4 years ago

Option 1 (warmer) or Option 6 (cooler) caught my eye first. If you like clean and contemporary lines, have you considered doing a straight lay / stacked installation rather than a traditional subway or herringbone pattern?