Software
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Favorite rose classes/groups

With a few decades' experience growing roses I've developed some favorite groups or classes. Most of them are roses I can grow in my conditions: growability is an endearing quality, and having them in the garden gives me a chance to get to know them. Favorites:

The once-flowering old roses of European origin: Gallicas, Damasks. Albas, Centifolias, old Moss varieties close to the Centifolias and Damasks they sported or were bred from. This is a vast and varied group, of course, but generally we get along. It's not accidental that these roses are descended in from species native to our area: R. gallica, R. canina, and R. arvensis (parent of the Ayrshire ramblers, also good) all grow wild on our property.

Teas, in particular, with a kindly glance toward the Chinas and Noisettes. These are harder to grow in our conditions than the once-bloomers, needing lighter soil and better drainage than we can easily create. I will never forget losing a marvelous 'Anna Jung' to drowning one winter. But around the house in particular, these are most beautiful roses, as elegant as they are sturdy.

Quite a few ramblers do well here, but particular favorites are the Wichuriana ramblers, especially those bred by Barbier, with lovely foliage, habit, and flowers. They're once-blooming, but worth their space. 'Edmond Proust' is forming buds and will begin flowering soon: a beauty! Dr. Van Fleet was another great breeder of Wichurianas. I don't know enough about either of these hybridizers to say much about them.

Hybrid Musks, especially those bred by Pemberton. Sweet, glorious roses. These are also iffy as to our garden conditions, liking lighter soil, cooler and moister conditions than are easily found here.

A word also for roses with a lot of Damask in their background, whether they're classed as Portlands or Hybrid Perpetuals: many are adapted and lovely here.


Rose groups that don't do well here: Rugosas, species from the eastern U.S., R. hugonis. Multifloras in general are not too fond of our conditions: these include the Hybrid Musks, which I struggle on with because I love them so much. I've never had much luck with Bourbons. Anything that requires high culture or coddling is out.

I don't grow many modern roses for various reasons, though some are beautiful.


What rose groups do well for you?

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    For me it's the teas, chinas, polyanthas, short Bourbons like SdlM and its sports and the Austin roses, although compared to others here I don't have many of the Austins. With global warming advancing apace, I'm finding that all my roses do much better with afternoon shade. My light soil does not retain moisture well at all, which is another limiting factor. I'm no longer able to do more for the roses other than supplying them with water and some mulch, and growth and flowering ability are compromised in every rose variety. It says a lot about the toughness of the older roses that they continue to flower at all, and that for me is one of their most endearing qualities.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oooh lost my post.

    Have to agree about the Barbier ramblers and Edmond Proust, mine is recovering after being accidentally cut to the ground. Truly a beautiful rose.



    I also love Geschwinds, if I could only have roses by one breeder it would be him, a shame many of his creations were credited to Peter Lambert.


    Geschwind's Orden



    Prinz Hirtzenprinzen



    Nymphe Egeria



    Also love and want more of the ramblers bred by Michael Walsh

    Unknown Walsh



    Summer Joy



    Jessica



  • 7 years ago

    Altorama Ray, sorry you lost your post, that's so maddening. I suppose the Pemberton HM 'Francesca' wouldn't be hardy for you. I saw its first bloom today and thought how much it resembled photos of 'Lady Hillingdon'. Do you grow any of the Fruehlings roses? I think 'Fruehlingsgold' is really beautiful, and also like 'Fruehlingsduft' (also spelled Fruhlings). They're rated as hardy in your zone, as they should be. What do you think of Van Fleet roses? And Brownell varieties?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Hi Melissa, yes I grow Glenn Dale by Van Fleet, extremely vigorous and hardy. I actually would like more of them just because I am so impressed with that rose, a 15 footer. This year it was mysteriously killed to the ground but is rebounding. I have one by Brownell, Captain Kidd, which is hardy though not a strong grower. The bloom on it is beautiful though.

    I have grown those Kordes in the past, I did not take them when I moved as they were too established.

    Westerland and Rosarium Utersen do very well for me though.

    I have always thought Francesca was beautiful and will probably try it at some point!

    Alida

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Altorama, Edmond Proust is absolutely divine!

    Melissa my favorite class of roses are the Hybrid Chinas and Gallicas. They do awesome here, and are a long awaited arrival in Spring. I love some of the other European roses as well, Ispahan does awesome!, Ramblers do quite well, as do polyantha's.

    Portlands are a mixed bag. Actually they are all kinda a mixed bag. Even to the Teas, and Chinas. Noisettes so fine, but it takes a while to get going.

    I did actually take a risk, after losing so many Teas and Chinas to our Freeze thaw in Spring, and Order some more Teas from ARE sale. I figured Mme. Lombard does so well here there's got to be others. I plan to put them up front where more full Sun is and see how that does them. But the ones I lost were in morning sun, so we shall see. Wish me luck. I got one bloom from my new Mrs. Dudley Cross and fell in love! I have to refrain myself from ordering more until I get through the Winter with these. I figured to order them bigger should help them too. My Marie Van Houte barely made it. All her old canes died, but she threw up three new ones, before they did. I hope she builds some size and does better this Winter..I'm beginning to think the river maybe some reason to bring in more cold. What do y'all think? It is less than a mile from my house, I am up river though. That and my exact location. On the map I was 7b before it changed a few years ago..I'm still in a pocket that goes up north on the zone map..different zones on each side, lol.


    Edited to add the Rugosa, Damasks, mostly, Spinosissima's, and Hybrid musk's do well here too. Now the roses in origin of Lady Penzance didn't care for my humidity, I believe, and died. Though Father Hugo does well, and Harrison's Yellow does ok, but has been having die back since I put him in the ground. He did great in a pot, and I told him to straighten up or he's going back in it!

    That's all I can think of for now.

    I don't grow many modern's , since meeting the OGR, they stole my heart!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks Alana, a shame it has to start growing all oberover again but at least it survived!


    I forgot, I really love species roses.