Software
Houzz Logo Print
cvvera

What paint color combinations would you use?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My roof is light gray with green tones. I dislike it and hope to change it in about 2-4 years. My husband likes a light colored house. I like blue accents but I'm tired of this one. My permanent features are the gray roof and red bricks and the red roses that I will probably transfer from my curb to my flower beds. I have purple statis plants with red roses near the curb. I will get ride of the pink flowered azaleas. Also the white vinyl windows and white garage door seem to clash with this off white color. My neighbors house on the left is gray with black shutters and my neighbor on the right is a peachy color with rust shutters. Suggestions? Visuals very welcomed! Thank you.




Comments (25)

  • 7 years ago

    What kind of windows or screens are there now? Will you be changing them at this point or later?

  • 7 years ago
    @JudyGDesigns,
    Judy, my front two windows are leaded glass. So the black crisscrossing is not changeable. To change out would be very costly. All other windows are stark white vinyl and seen mostly from the side.
    Im really liking the color combo you are suggesting. What off white color on the trim do you recommend? And should the bay window hood on top be the only thing painted or paint it all (trim and hood)? Thanks!
  • 7 years ago
    @apple_pie_order Hi, my white vinyl side windows have screens but the two front windows are leaded glass. I will be leaving those alone. Truthfully I love those windows. And as @JudyGDesigns mentioned, I now see that my shutters are too narrow. I will replace those with wider ones, put wood trim around the window to close the gap to the shutter, and put an accent wood piece on the top of the window.
  • 7 years ago
    I forgot to mention, I have interior wooden shutters which are being repainted white. They open on top and on the bottom.
  • 7 years ago

    Leaded glass windows catch the sun beautifully. If you are just painting the trim now, look at some charcoal grays. If you want a full new paint job, Judy G's suggestions would be good. The red roses will be a nice contrast.

    C V thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

    That Vale Mist from Judy is very nice!

  • 7 years ago
    Thank you for the feedback! Do you think it would be okay to paint the backyard stairs in the same color as the home (but satin paint).
    My husband probably won’t go for a white due to the dust and upkeep. Or should they be black? Which color do you like best?
  • 7 years ago

    Its not the windows that are distracting its the shutters inside that are throwing everyone off.

    The body of the house has a great color to it now, I also like the color Vale mist with white trim, and perhaps sage shutters, and a blue front door

    C V thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 7 years ago
    I opened the interior shutters on the left. Right side room is a mess so Im sparing you that. Now that you can see my sofa, you can see I need interior updates as well. :)
  • 7 years ago

    C V, I agree with RL Relocation regarding the shutters. They totally confused me. In your first photo I thought your leaded glass was some type of security screen. Then I thought the open shutters were part of the window. Hard to explain but I would reconsider the shutters in this case.


    If you keep the exterior shutters on the large window, each shutter should be half the window's width. Shutters need to look like they would cover the window if closed.

  • 7 years ago
    I’m liking the vale mist color. Now I just need help with fascia board and backyard staircase. Do you agree that fascia board should be same color as the house? And garage side doors & stairs black? With white shade hood on backyard upper door and white border around the lower side door?
  • 7 years ago

    The Vale Mist would be lovely with a soft white trim. I would use the photo Judy posted as a guide, including what to do with the fascia board. I'd probably want the stairs and side doors white, too, but I understand your husband isn't thinking that way. I'll leave that to the pros here, but I wouldn't do a black garage door. A better choice would be to use the same color as the siding (Vale Mist). You could use white since your garage is detached and set back.

    C V thanked chloebud
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, no one wants a black hole for a garage door! paint it to blend away into the house, its not a feature. I also agree with using the photo as a guide line, I also think white stairs, again these are not a feature really.

    C V thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 7 years ago

    I like the current blue. A lot.


    I'd get rid of the shutters altogether. I don't think shutters suit this house.

  • 7 years ago

    Here is your house with shutters removed and window trimmed out, with a sage green trim, with and without the gable painted.


    And a darker green:


    C V thanked groveraxle
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you GroverAxle. What program did you use to do this? I am leaning on the vale mist (sage) for the body. This white house color seems too yellowish to me. I will miss my red door but i'm looking forward to an elegant black door. My door will not be glossy as it tends to accentuate the defects in the door.

  • 7 years ago

    With an espaliered bougainvillea:


  • 7 years ago

    C V, I would have painted your house that Vale Mist except it already looks green on my monitor. Here is your house with a black door. Looks good.

    BTW, I trimmed out the window to match the bay when I removed the shutters.

  • 7 years ago

    I would go darker and work on enlarging that flower bed .


    The Twisted Willow · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    I adore your leaded glass windows and could tell what they were even with the blinds closed. While the shutters are the wrong size, I think it looks bare without them and hope you will get new ones that are the right scale. I am loving the vale mist and white trim and can't wait for someone to post a pic with a sample of that that looks like.


    I completely understand your husband not wanting white stairs. I'm wondering what it would look like to have it all painted vail mist and not have the stairs in a contrasting color.

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Yes, Im off to buy a sample size of Vale Mist. And it does look super bare w/out the shutters. I definitely want to increase the flower bed with curvy lines (future separate post) and plant a tree.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!


    Catching up with the suggestions. C V, thanks for clarifying the windows. Leaded glass is lovely and now you have told us that it explains that it is the interior shutters which confused us. Good decision about the shutters. The leaded glass is all you need for impact.


    My suggestion for trim would be B.M. Simply White and don’t hesitate to paint it semi-gloss as you would interior trim. Front door suggestion:



    B.M. Blue Spruce

  • 7 years ago

    So I went with the vale mist and I love the result. It was a good compromise with the husband who wanted to stay with white. A shout out to @JudyGDesigns for suggesting the color. Thank you all for the help. And just like that, two other people nearby have gone with similar colors. So I guess copying is a form of flattery. I want to also let you know that I took my door hardware to a metal restorer and they did an amazing job! So please if you have old door hardware and they are worn, have them restored. Mine look awesome and I felt good about helping out a small local family business. I included a photo of just the brash door knocker which was old, black and tarnished. My door knobs and handles look great as well. Like new. I also updated the house numbers to be raised and modern.




  • 7 years ago

    Nice! I really like the Vale Mist with the black door and shutters. Pretty brass door knocker, too!