needmorerose_va_zone8

Ground cover roses comparison - Drift vs Sunblaze vs Vigorosa

needmorerose_va_zone8
last modified: May 9, 2019

I only have experience with Drift series of rose (great experience) and Flower Carpet (not so fond of). I’m so interested in adding Sunblaze or Vigorosa to my landscaping; to be specific, is to line a 50’ brick walled raised bed of existing evergreens. I would like a row of ground cover roses and give a slightly cascading look off the brick wall. I need them to stay not taller than 2’. What do you recommend?

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    I can't really help you on this, but am interested in the responses. I'm at a point where I am running out of spots for the bigger roses & was looking at doing some ground cover front of the bed fillers. Just not sure what series is best. Hopefully, some people with experience will chime in.
    needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    I do have one popcorn drift. It has always done well, but one side of it has sported into I think the apricot drift. I recall reading comments before that apricot drift was the most prolific of that series.
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

The kordes rosen site lists recommendations for specific “situations”. One is “slope/retaining walls”. Included there are a couple which were dubbed vigorosa here. I have toscana, which Star’s relatively wimpy kordesus.us site does not even currently list - Palatine sent it spring 2018.

The sun blaze always look real nice when HD sells them here, but I’m skeptical they would stand up to black spot no spray.

Though my Peach Drift is not in a slope/wall situation, it’s habit suggests it would do well were it so sited. Apricot drift must be quite a rose if it’s more prolific than PD. That’s a big if.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • needmorerose_va_zone8

Blonde, thank you for your input. I have been growing Drift series roses for a few years prior to my full blown rose fever LOL I collected every single variety except for the Popcorn you have. I found four at Home Depot today so I may go back and pick them up to complete the collection :) Drift roses have been solid performers for my garden. They are prolific growers though differ in characters and growth habits. I love them dearly.

I only saw Amber Sunblaze in person. They looked lovely but I have no info regarding their growth habit or disease resistance.

• needmorerose_va_zone8

Rifis, thank you for the info. I have not seen a vigorosa in person. I just can’t find them locally. As ground cover roses are usually mass planted, I would really like to see them before I mail order a dozen. The photos of Solero look pretty, so do Tuscana. I too am skeptical about the disease resistance of Sunblaze, they just look more like mini roses for containers than low maintenance ground cover types that have a spreading habit. I could be so wrong though, so I really hope someone with experience of these roses can chime in. I’m so willing to try these roses out!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

The only rose that comes close to what you describe is White Meidiland which is a very good rose. Mine is in a lousy location with only afternoon sun which is becoming ever more minimal because of encroaching trees and shrubs. I may have to move it to a better location one of these days.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • needmorerose_va_zone8

Ingrid, oh I forgot about Meilland series. I remember looking them up before, and compared with Seafoam and White Pet. But of course I was quite confused after a while. How tall do White Meilland get to?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Mine has stayed short for quite a few years, no more than two feet tall, and I would say it tends to bend to the sides when the canes get longer rather than standing straight up. I've seen Alba Meidiland and much prefer White Meidiland, which seems to have a nicer color and form.

• modestgoddess z7 MD

I really like Solero vigorosa. It’s healthy in my crazy humidity. Mine has stayed small on a slope. I just got a second one for the backyard.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked modestgoddess z7 MD
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I am very pleased with OSO Easy Fragrant Spreader. I don't have any pics but there are some good examples if you google it. The pics on HMF don't show the size. It really spreads and stays low. This one seems especially suited to your situation.

OSO Easy Strawberry Crush is another that blooms constantly. I prune mine to grow upward, but it can be pruned to stay low. It's big.

Gourmet Pheasant is very much like Gourmet Popcorn. Lost it when I moved it. Description says deep pink, but mine was bright orange red. Good spreader.

Lavender Friendship stays low and is a good bloomer. Smallest of the four in my garden.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • needmorerose_va_zone8

Modest goddess, do you have a pic of your Solero?

• needmorerose_va_zone8

Flowersaremusic, thanks for letting me know about Oso easy series. I am not familiar with it but looked it up. it seems to be a very comparable line of rose to the Drift. They are beautiful and have several colors to choose from.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

I totally forgot I have one of the oso easy ones - Mango salsa. Actually two of them. They are quite small here. Would probably be a bit bigger in your climate. Mine usually have complete winter dieback. Here's a pic of mango - a little past a good photo op. Here's popcorn & one showing popcorn with it's sport/reversion.

• needmorerose_va_zone8

Blonde, mango salsa looks lovely, I like the incurved petals, the indivisual bloom almost looks like a petite water lotus. Does the color change during the growing season?

The more I look at Popcorn the more I start to fall in love. It is interesting that it reversed to Apricot. Several of my White drift reversed to Sweet drift just like that. I know Popcorn won the Biltmore International Trial Competition a few years ago.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

I have one red Sunblaze rose that I rescued from a grocery store last year. The colors on the rose are gorgeous and this year, it is starting to take off. I have a ton of blooms on it at the moment that are just getting ready to open. I have not had any issues with diseases but then in my area, I am not prone to having plants with fungal diseases. My rose tends to grow more upright rather than cascading. However, it is still a baby so I don't know what the final result will be. So far, I am happy with this rose. Color stays a true blue red, not orange. My phone does not photograph red roses well so sorry for the poor picture. I have not taken a photo this year (just video) of the bush, so I don't have anything that is a better picture for you.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • needmorerose_va_zone8

Mustbnut, I have been considering Red Sunblaze but got a little hesitated because it might stay more upright than I want. Otherwise, The color and the bloom form are perfect. How big are the blooms? Some vendors said 4-inch across.

• Rockridge Rose

Rainbow happy trails might work. I planted it last year in my hellstrip. People stepping on it, dogs peeing on it. I dont water it very much. despite the abuse, it is constantly in bloom, covering the entire bush. It stays low and spreads, so it will likely cascade down, like you’re envisioning. And the colors are beautiful.

needmorerose_va_zone8 thanked Rockridge Rose
  • Rockridge Rose
    One errant cane I need to cut. Took this this morning on the way to work after a week of rain.
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

zzg, again my rose is a baby but the blooms are not 4 inches (yet, anyway). I would say they are more like two inches.

I have a rose (mini) that cascades like crazy right now. It is only about 6 months or so old, so it is still a baby but I love this rose. No disease, etc. Vineyard Song. It is supposed to get to be 4--5 feet but I see no sign of that yet. It is a beauty and the flowers are quite pretty and charming. It definitely cascades.

• needmorerose_va_zone8

Rock ridge, wow, your rainbow happy trail is truly a rainbow! I love how the color varies from bloom to bloom, and the blooms are doubles. Thank you for showing me the photos. So Happy Trail series is a possibility for my project too!

• needmorerose_va_zone8

Mustbnuts, I’ve never heard of Vineyard Song and I just looked it up on HMF. Oh gosh, I am in love with the lilac tone of this rose right away!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Burling sells this rose. Very disease resistant. Can't wait until she gets a bit bigger as she is still such a baby right now. I think she will be gorgeous in my yard. Color is great. She tends to have a light lavender on the outer petals and then a deeper lavender on the inside.