Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
getgoing100_7b_nj

Miltoniopsis ID please

getgoing100_7b_nj
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I bought this at trader Joe's 2 years ago in bloom. It had 4-5 pseudobulbs. Reported it in fall. It was in tree fern mix I think (got two tree fern seedlings growing in a terranium :)). Anyhow, I thought the growing mix was too fine and the roots, though plenty, were all a bit brownish. It was my first orchid with fine roots (not a phals) so didn't know what to think. The more I felt them for firmness the more I removed. Eventually, it was left with few roots though plenty of pseudobulbs including 4 new ones. Reported in small fir bark, little bits of shredded sphagnum and perlite. Had one measly flower last year in fall while it was vacationing on my balcony. Finally I have 5 spikes with 3 buds each except one with four. There are about 15 pseudobulbs now. I am posting pictures of when I bought them and now. Can someone suggest its name. Also, what can I do to get more blooms. I am in zone 7b, coastal NJ.

Comments (14)

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Now

NNNNNFF

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

2 years ago

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

Nice! There are more than 1358 registered Miltoniopsis orchid names in the hybrid register so getting a hame is difficult. Also think of a hybrid name like all your children.... all the orchids raised from a particular crossing will be different.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Considering it is from trader joe's I would think it is one of the more pedestrian ones. I have to confess i know nothing about naming hybrids.

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

The problem is that it is possible to produce thousands of copies of a very good orchid and cut costs by not worrying about name tags.

I said nice and I meant it.

They are very rarely seen here, just too warm most of the year.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. I got lucky with this one. Two of phals haven't bloomed in two years (iI tried water culture and failed spectacularly). That year, 2017, there were a bunch of miltoniopsis and oncidiums at trader joe'sJoe's. I keep going back to see if they are back but only the usual phals show up. I am too cheap to buy them otherwise. This one was just 17 bucks!

It has fared qui well. It dorsn't get too hot here for that many days.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Perhaps it is Claret Punch, seems similar except more extensive waterfall pattern. More pics

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

Looks like is not good enough and there are many with the waterfall pattern.

Doesn't matter all that much, the American Orchid Society judges would still judge it if you put it in an orchid show.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I meant this has same colors as claret Punch - burgundy-yellow-white-light burgund/purple except that the waterfall pattern in white and burgund seems minimal in Claret punch. Here is a screenshot of claret punch. If I understand you correctly, a visual comparison isn't a good way to identify these. I will defer to your expertise.

I grow for personal pleasure (mostl flowers of all kinds on my balcony) and have no plans to enter a competion. I only have a half dozen orchids which are intermittently paid attention. I must say I am pleased with how this milt has turned out.

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

There is no registered Miltoniopsis Hybrid called Claret Punch. As I said above doesn't matter all that much. The names only become important if want to use the orchid for breeding or if the orchid is tp be given a quality award by a judging panel in the USA or elsewhere. The panels will not give an award to an unregistered orchid.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for responding and looking it up. This is good information to know. Who knows some day I would be tempted to grow for a show.

• Sheila
    4 years ago

Get going.....do you participate in trading plants.? I’d love to get a couple bulbs of this Claret Punch, even if that name is not registered. I grow plants for my enjoyment, not for awards.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have never traded plants/seeds/bulbs! Just never been organized enough for that, but sure, why not. What are you offering? And can we wait until after the bloom season? I repotted after the blooms and again a few months later because it didn't take to the new medium well. I would prefer not to mess with it until after it has bloomed for the season.

• Sheila
    4 years ago

Yes, wait until after the bloom. Spring is the best time to repot and divide. Also better weather for mailing. I’m in S. Texas and we rarely have severe cold. I’ll send you a PM in a few days after I’ve had time to check what I can divide.