0
bailey22m

ideas? walkway and Pergola

Mike
We added the pergola and it looks great! The driveway and path to the door are aged ugly concrete. I am thinking of removing the walkway and replacing. Any ideas? My thoughts include flagstone and crushed granite. The material for under the pergola is still up in the air, but leaning towards brick. Ideas and thoughts?

• Stacey Collins
    The concrete may be stained but it doesn’t appear to be broken up. You may find pressure washing it improves the appearance. You could cut it and add a brick joint periodically to liven it up also.
    Yardvaark

If the back end of the pergola is resting on the roof, there is danger of damming roof drainage, which would cause water to run under the shingles. You should explore if this is the case.

Based on the area shown in the photo, I'd be inclined to pave the whole area (everything from walk on back). It looks just right for a couple of chairs and container plants. IMO, there is not any place good for bed against the house, unless the walk were moved away from the building, but I like that less based on what I see here.

• Elaine Ricci
    I'd paint pergola a deep charcoal gray. A stone patio (perhaps bluestone) would look nice, IMO. I envision a sort of Zen-inspired area: perhaps a statue or fountain and a little sitting area.
  • tony jelly

When you first thought of filling that gap between the two wings of your house, what had you in mind?