Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Geoff Hamilton, another David Austin rose

Geoff Hamilton (AUSham), a David Austin rose, released in 1997 UK. Love its old-fashioned globular bloom form. Helen

Comments (24)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Oohhh I like it! It has that globular Earth Angel shape!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

Helen, that is a very pretty rose, and also one that isn't mentioned too often. It looks so delicate that I have to wonder whether it's at all suited to a hot and dry climate, but in your situation it's wonderful. We seem to hear most about a relatively few number of Austins that many people grow, and widening our horizons in that regard would be a good thing.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Sultry and Ingrid. Ingrid, Geoff Hamilton health is average in my garden so I'm not sure how it will do in a hot and dry climate. If you want a similar rose in a hot and dry climate, I think Olivia Austin Rose will be a good substitute or you can have both and see how GH is doing :) Helen

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago
    Helen, yours is totally beautiful. Your pics got me super excited. I am getting this rose hopefully in Fall Bec my rose friend is going to have cuttings for me. His is huge and he had it for many years. He said GH does really, really well here in Central Fl and also Prince.. he highly recommend it.

I am super excited Bec I was asking Vap about it not long ago if she heard of GH and why it is not popular on the forum ?

I cant wait till Fall and I am giving him some of my cuttings so he can root them Bec I am really bad in that :(

jin
    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

I have two Geoff Hamiltons in my garden, planted many years ago. It's a consistently good rose, reliable bloomer and hardy. I like the cup shaped blooms and sweet fragrance.

Your photos are beautiful!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Krista_5NY
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Gorgeous pictures of a beautiful rose! Helen, I always enjoy your beautiful roses so much, your photography is superb!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

Beautiful!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked totoro z7b Md
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone. Geoff Hamilton is a beautiful rose, however, compared to to other DAs its health is just average in my garden so I'm guessing maybe that's why it's not popular. I'm a "shallow" rose person and always pick roses for their looks first so I'll pick Geoff Hamilton rose over other healthier roses but didn't look as good as GH :) Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More Geoff Hamilton pics. Helen

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

Wow so gorgeous and voluptuous

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked pippacovalent
  • Jon Ng
    2 years ago

Hi all. I would love to have this rose in my collections. Would anyone give or sell me some of GH cuttings please? TIA🙏

• rockyrose
    2 years ago

I would like to add that I have had GH for many years. I live outside of Philadelphia. It has grown huge and has been one of my healthier DA's. But, it has not been a strong rebloomer for me. The roses are absolutely beautiful when it puts out their first flush...just like Helen's photos. I just wish the reblooms weren't so stingy!

• Jon Ng
    2 years ago

Rockyrose: would you please let me have some of your GH cuttings?

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Gorgeous, Helen! One of my absolute favorites. It was from Palatine last year and just as it started to put on some growth, it was run over by an ATV. Most of the plant was lost but enough was saved for it to survive. He has been blooming more than I expected this year. He's still very small, but obviously a survivor and I think he will be a good rose with a little maturity.

• Jon Ng
    2 years ago

You got it from Palatine? I don’t see Geoff on the list🤷‍♂️?

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Jon, Palatine offered some of the old, out of commerce Austin roses for a couple years, thanks to John, one of our members here. Their Austin list was separate from their regular rose list and was only posted a week before they went up for sale. I believe I heard or read they have discontinued selling them, at least in the near future. It was a very gracious, yet difficult undertaking on their part. They always sold out in minutes. You can try Peter Schneider at Freedom Gardens in Ohio who will do a custom propagation if he has a plant - I think.

Vaporvac, if you're reading this, maybe you can add something. You know more about Peter's nursery than I do.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    2 years ago

Wow. Gorgeous!!! 😍

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    2 years ago

Linda from Long Ago Roses also offers discontinued Austin’s as bands. I got Leander and Radio Times from Her this spring.

• Jon Ng
    2 years ago

I asked them about Geoff but they don’t have

• john_ca
    2 years ago

I have been in touch with Rene Schmitz a while back, and he told me that he was unable to produce a full crop of his normal assortment due to problems associated with the pandemic. Further, he was not able to produce any of the rare Austin roses in the fall of 2020 for sale in the winter of 2021/2. I believe that he hopes to produce some of the rare Austin roses in the fall of 2021 to sell in the winter of 2021/2.

• rockyrose
    2 years ago

Jon Ng, I am hesitant to offer you cuttings. My GH is not a good rebloomer. I have been close to shovel pruning it several times through the years. Being in the Northeast, my bloom time is short and very frustrating. I would suggest you wait and find a GH that rewards you with continuous blooms, that your time will be well spent in caring for it. Possibly Helen or Krista in NY would be able to give you cuttings? Theirs seems to be a more reliable bloomer. I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

• Jon Ng
    2 years ago

Oh I wouldn’t mind at all to have some cuttings from you. I’ll take anything and maybe I would get them rooted and grow well here in Texas 🙏

• rockyrose
    2 years ago

Perhaps you should ask Helen or Krista first? I would like to see you get a fair start. I also have never shipped any cuttings before, which also doesn't help the matter. ;-)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus