carolyn_hogan6021127

floorplan debate for new build- loft living space or guest room suite?

Carolyn Oliver
May 15, 2019
We are interested in buying our forever home and my husband and I are on opposite sides of this argument I would like to put it out to the masses- maybe you can offer some valuable insight.

We are a family of 4( 2 boys- 2 and 4 months). We currently like in a 3br/ 2.5 bath townhouse with a finished basement. When my 2nd was born we were forced to put our guestbed in the basement family room area. I admit I like having the separation from guests.

We have this model we really like. The floor plan standard is 4 bedrooms all on the top floor with a private en-suite in one bedroom. We have family who visit about 4-5 times a year, at 1-2 weeks at a time, so we absolutely need a guestroom and this 4th bedroom with an ensuite would be ideal for them.

There is an option to make this a loft living room in lieu of the 4th bedroom, which my husband loves because we use our basement a lot now and the loft allows us to have that second living space available untill we finish the basement ( maybe 3-5 yr plan). Where we would have both a tv/ rec room as well as a guest room and 3 piece bathroom in the basement.

I admit I like the idea of guestroom and bath in the basement away from us, but it Would also mean reducing the the basement rec room size in half ( want a bar area, and space for our tv, sectional and elliptical) and once that basement is finished- the loft turns into wasted space. So guests have their own bathroom en-suite upstairs that allows some type of separation however we loose the second living space until the basement is finished?
4th bedroom with ensuite
loft in lieu of 4th bedroom

Comments (37)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268