carolyn_hogan6021127

floorplan debate for new build- loft living space or guest room suite?

Carolyn Oliver
We are interested in buying our forever home and my husband and I are on opposite sides of this argument I would like to put it out to the masses- maybe you can offer some valuable insight.

We are a family of 4( 2 boys- 2 and 4 months). We currently like in a 3br/ 2.5 bath townhouse with a finished basement. When my 2nd was born we were forced to put our guestbed in the basement family room area. I admit I like having the separation from guests.

We have this model we really like. The floor plan standard is 4 bedrooms all on the top floor with a private en-suite in one bedroom. We have family who visit about 4-5 times a year, at 1-2 weeks at a time, so we absolutely need a guestroom and this 4th bedroom with an ensuite would be ideal for them.

There is an option to make this a loft living room in lieu of the 4th bedroom, which my husband loves because we use our basement a lot now and the loft allows us to have that second living space available untill we finish the basement ( maybe 3-5 yr plan). Where we would have both a tv/ rec room as well as a guest room and 3 piece bathroom in the basement.

I admit I like the idea of guestroom and bath in the basement away from us, but it Would also mean reducing the the basement rec room size in half ( want a bar area, and space for our tv, sectional and elliptical) and once that basement is finished- the loft turns into wasted space. So guests have their own bathroom en-suite upstairs that allows some type of separation however we loose the second living space until the basement is finished?
4th bedroom with ensuite
loft in lieu of 4th bedroom