Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlemail3

NEED to decide soon...cabinet trim or no trim??

jlemail3
4 years ago
My custom cabinets are finally being installed after much delay. I am going for a transitional look. We’ll have white cabinets and subway tile. I have large crown over and will have some detail on the sides of a wolf range top (pull out spice racks) They are finishing the install today and were going to add bottom trim to the cabinets. The kitchen designer likes trim for a more custom look, but the contractor thinks it looks better without . I’ll include some pics but it’s hard to tell with the raw wood. The piece of trim I’m holding up isn’t the exact one they want to install but you’ll get the idea. So with or without?

Comments (28)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The door style and crown build up are more traditional than transitional. You need light rail to go with that for sure. It helps to shield any glare from your under cabinet lighting.

Why are the cabinets being site finished? Will they be using conversion varnish? Will they remove the doors and drawer fronts and hardware, and then spray those off site?

• jlemail3
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you... I do think it looks less busy without. I’ll post a pic of what the detail on the sides of my stove top will look like. Can’t change that now. Will the more plain cabinets still go with that detail and all look transitional?
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    4 years ago

I wouldn't do a trim

• jlemail3
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yes, they remove the doors and drawers before spraying. I do see some kitchens that aren’t totally modern without trim like the pic I’ll post. I have bought these same pendants for over the island too.
  • flyr4fun
    4 years ago

If it didn't have that huge crown on the top, I would say no trim. But that size of crown looks top heavy to me and I feel like the trim on the bottom would add balance. Especially with the trim columns you show that will flank the stove.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

No trim. Adding trim is more of a traditional look, rather than transitional and clean.

• mark_rachel
    4 years ago

No trim. It will just be another ledge to collect dust.

• jlemail3
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ahhh...they just added trim to see. The guys here said with the big crown, the trim balances it out.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

I don't love how it looks with trim, but it's your call.

• mark_rachel
    4 years ago

It gives it a much more traditional look. I would say no if you are going transitional.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That kitchen veered away from Transitional 15 decisions ago. Every detail is darn Traditional. The doors. The details beside the range. That oversized stacked crown. That sets the table squarely as Traditional. Don’t stop now. It’s unfinished with out light rail. Even a simple light rail.

The bigger concern is the bugs and dust and painted drawer glides that result from site finished cabinets. And the lack of durability. You just don’t finish in people’s homes. Setting up an explosion proof booth in open concept is doomed. That’s a hack process. All true custom cabinetry is finished in the cabinet maker’s shop, in his clean room. This must be TX.

• mynovahome
    4 years ago

I think the trim looks great and your kitchen looks AWESOME! Who cares if the top molding is traditional and the rest leans transitional. "Rules" were meant to be broken. I also LOVE the pendant lights you picked. Will all look great!

• jlemail3
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    It’s California. They take all out and spray in shop except base...oh well. They brought 2 trims to try. The little larger matches the crown. The smaller might look too small... don’t know. I do see lots of kitchens with over sized crowns and no lower trim tho. I’ll put pic of smaller trim. Need to decide today. (Also example of big crown no trim)
  • dsgts
    4 years ago

Have you thought about under cabinet lighting? If it is placed against the wall, you may need trim to hide the light fixtures. If you decide against trim, you might prefer narrow light channels installed at the front of the cabinet.

I have the latter and am much happier than when lights were at the back of the cabinet. The new fixtures are concealed without adding trim, and the light shining on the countertop is continuous and even.

I know this doesn't speak to your question about the overall aesthetic, but it might be something to consider.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

CA? Then it’s far worse. CA doesn’t even allow the most durable solvent or water based products to be used by small firms. Much less in home. In CA, ordering post catalyzed finished products from an out of state manufacturer is the only way to go.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Trim or no trim, either way will look nice. Personally, I prefer no trim. If you do decide to go with a trim piece I would go for the last (thinner) trim option you posted above.

In my house, if we can't decide, we flip a coin. Generally, when the coin is in the air you will root one way or the other before it lands. That is the one you know you truly want. It might help here.

Good luck!

• felizlady
    4 years ago
    The top moldings are gorgeous. You don’t need more than that.
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Small trim for the bottom.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

Assuming there is a recess in the bottom of the cabinet for the lighting to "hide" I would go no trim...

• L thomas
    4 years ago

The bottom trim sorta makes it look like you hung a china cabinet on the wall. Also, I've seen more than a few site-finished cabinet installs that turned out beautifully and held up well. It can be done without the world ending :)

• User
    4 years ago
    I much prefer it with no trim if you’re aiming for transitional. But I feel it just a personal preference.
  • vpierce
    4 years ago

Depends on whether you need the trim to hide undercabinet lighting.

• M Miller
    4 years ago

That large size of crown makes it traditional. And inset cabinetry, the lanterns you chose, and the Shaw’s sink too. And the little cabinetry stack on top. A transitional layout would have had a smaller crown thereby allowing a different proportion of the stacked cabinets so that the upper stack would be larger than what you have. I don’t see even a hint of transitional anywhere, or see why you mention transitional, but I am not seeing all your choices for the kitchen. Add the trim.

While you are in this stage, please lower your backsplash receptacles and make them horizontal. What KD places them that high up? Make the change while you still can or they will stick out in your backsplash. Here are a couple pics I got from quick googling to show you what I mean.

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

Definitely yes to the light rail trim and yes to the smaller choice that you posted.

i think most cabinetry looks better with the light rail trim. Definitely yours. Just my opinion!

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

Your cabinets look absolutely beautiful, with or without trim. When deciding what to do, just consider what do you like better. Labels like ''traditional'' or ''transitional'' don't mean a lot when you know what you love and you already have a plan for the rest of the kitchen. But personally, I prefer the look without trim.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago
    The crown is overwhelming.
  • Mary S. Pagac
    2 years ago

No bottom trim and can you get rid of or modernize and reduce in size the top crown? its not transitional, its very traditional

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!