pngntx

"Fancy Fancy Bathroom" help needed!

pngntx
last year

Hey everyone!

We are building soon and my 11 yr old son (who will likely be 13 when we move) has requested a "Fancy Fancy Bathroom". LOL

He has some issues with anxiety and long baths are super relaxing to him. We removed our own jetted tub in the house we are in now for a large walk in shower and he was devastated.

Does anyone know of some good jetted tub/shower combos that wouldn't break the bank for his bathroom? Something easy to clean - the big curved glass shower shields I see look like a disaster to keep clean, and we expect him to clean up after himself.

Any other ideas to make his bathroom extra 'fancy' without spending a fortune?

• Dawn Martinez
    last year

Just circling back to say, I really love all the great ideas here for this amazing mom who is trying to do a good thing for her son. Jeez, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, so sorry for the ugly comment you received. You've got tons of support here mom. Hope this will spark just the right bath inspiration! Keep us posted.

pngntx thanked Dawn Martinez
    Best Answer
  • cat_mom
    last year

Nice!

Need help decorating our first house...Tiny room, Fireplace, mismatched furniture, and I need help!

Just coming into the conversation. I am so glad you kept the aqua walls! And , although I like the look of the red brick against the aqua ( very retro), the white brick now opens the space. And the white love seat is adorable in that space. That being said....what's the deal with the palms? Please take those away. As for the arrangement, I would go back to the original, except move everything down to relate to the window (with white loveseat against the wall). Then find a cute fabric bench and put it in front of the fireplace. Also, get a rug with stripes and place it so when laid, the strips run from the side wall to the window. This will help give width (along with the bench). Then replace the coffee table with something much more simple. It's curly nature narrows the space.

Stuck-need help on living room- need help decorating- furniture ideas

My first thought is to place the couch under the window on the long wall to the right of the fire place, and the two chairs opposite it on the left of the fire place. That would open up the back of the room to the seating area. It would also make it more open as you enter the room from the wide opening to the left of the fireplace. Then place the tall secretary from dining room on back walk and put two of the smaller extra chairs on either side with your art work hung above, as pinged out above, that would nicely balance the height around the room. Possibly place the open desk/table on the long wall to the rut of where it is now.

I need a help deciding on arts pleaseeee help I need your help

I prefer the painted portrait but you could rotate your art if you really love both pieces. I kinda side with Kim and Decoenthiaste about portraits having personal meaning to me to be in my home.

Need help please!! Reno master bath. Need some help

The cement looking floor tiles would be great. I would consider a Brown Fantasy Granite/Quartz top for the vanity and keep it more simple. If you're only doing a single sink vanity you could possibly do a semi-custom and do just as well on price and then add your own pick for top. Or try finding a piece of furniture/antique to add a top and sink into- this is a unique way of making it your own and there are many to choose from (I would suggest strongly that you pick something with quality construction).
  • tatts
    last year
    last modified: last year

That kind of marble is one of my favorites! And, if you're looking for a place to go on vacation, take him to Proctor, Vermont, where they quarry marble. I have a polished chunk of that marble from when I was about his age and we visited the marble works and Vermont Marble Museum; they had a big pile of broken chunks that you could climb on and take home with you.

• Cheryl Smith
    last year

What a great smile. Happy you found hid fancy, fancy

• Sara
    last year

Hey, I have been wanting to tell you that this thread makes me so happy. I have worked my whole life in child welfare and get so tired of the media narrative about foster parents being money hungry and uncaring, when the reality is awesome stories like this-scouting the internet and local stores to make the fanciest bathroom ever for your son. Love it and love that smile!!!

pngntx thanked Sara
  • Nancy in Mich
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you did not buy that slab, check out the color "Parys" in Cambria. If you can get him some Fluorite, it should glow in a black light. That would be a pretty cool effect while he is relaxing in the bath.

Those blue stones practically glow in real life. Cambria Parys.

• Mrs Pete
    last year
    last modified: last year

Bath bombs are pretty easy to make. My daughter love to. Silicone cake molds can make some fun shapes and he could scent them. And they are cheaper. He could even make some for presents. Sending good thoughts.

So much cheaper! I bought a small stainless steel mold from Amazon (I've had it for maybe three years now?), and it works great.

You can find loads of recipes on Pinterest.

We also found out his idea of ‘fancy fancy! And guess who found a remnant? Woohoo!

I'm so glad you worked with him /pursued his own idea of fancy-fancy. I bet not a single person here would've chosen that as fancy-fancy ... but he clearly loves what he picked, and it's HIS IDEA of fancy-fancy.

• AJCN
    last year

OP, are your architectural drawings finished or are you still making changes?

• pngntx
    last year

AJCN - no, we are still somewhat impatiently waiting for our initial drawings. Hoping to hear from them today. We have a year until we break ground, but I'm ready to choose EVERYTHING. LOL

• Lars
    last year
    last modified: last year

Fine Art America has a huge selection of art for shower curtains, but they are not cheap. I bought this Iron Man Shower Curtain for my brother's bathroom as a birthday present. I have Aquaman on my shower curtain!

You may want to take him shopping for bathroom fixtures as well, but those can get really expensive. We went to Feguson's on Saturday to pick out new bathroom fixtures and there was a bit of a sticker shock, but then the ones we preferred happened to be the most expensive options.

As a child, I used to dream of having a Turkish style bathroom, and I really wanted to go into bathroom design at one time but ended up designing furniture instead, although I have done a few bathroom designs, but nothing as fancy as the Turkish baths.

I think your son will be extremely appreciative of what you are doing for him.

• AJCN
    last year

Following

• pngntx

I know it's been awhile, but I'm back finally. I think we have our floor plan about 95% settled.

The first picture is my son's bedroom and his bathroom. The second is the house, obviously - LOL

There is only this bathroom and the master bath as we are building this to be our retirement home. His bath will also be the official guest bathroom.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about how to bring his love of gems into the room. His absolute favorite is amethyst.

I have been inspired by folks doing some amazing stuff with epoxy resin. I saw a stunning kitchen backsplash made with a wallpaper mural pasted to MDF and then covered in epoxy. So beautiful!

I'm thinking of doing the shower wall the same way - putting the wallpaper (like this Amethyst Wallpaper Mural) on Go Board or some other appropriate base and then give it a beautiful shine with the epoxy coat.

Any thoughts about that? :)

I did ask the architect to give him a longer tub, so that's already accounted for and there's a nice big wall to display a cool art piece.

What do you guys think about accents against the amethyst colors? Black fixtures? Chrome?

He likes black and shiny for counter tops so we will find a cool remnant. I'm going to make his knobs out of real amethysts - I've already got the molds so that I can embed them in clear resin.

• jemimabean

What a sweet thread. Following along too. It sounds like you and your son are super fortunate to have each other. His smile is infectious.

• pngntx

Thank you, jemimabean! He just visited his middle school today. 6th grade - a new challenge. He’s handling it so well, I’m so proud of him

• tartanmeup

Amethyst! Your son has great taste in gems. :) What's nice about purple is it goes with pretty much any other colour. I really love it with warm metals but it sings just as nicely with cool ones like chrome. Have you seen this amethyst wall mural? Wayfair - Amethyst wall mural

• AJCN

Cool idea about the resin/amethyst knobs!!

I can’t read the floor plan on my phone. Is this a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house, or is there also a powder room?

• pngntx

Tartan - that is beautiful! I think it might be a little too pink for him tho. He is adamant that he likes the darker stones. You know, the manly ones. Lol!

AJCN - it’s technically a 4 bedroom I guess. The small exercise room has a closet so I suppose it could be a bedroom. The third bedroom is going to be a craft room.

So, really, there will only be two bedrooms being used unless we have guests.

We will also have a casita with a full kitchen and bath. My 20 yr old will use it until he’s ready to be on his own. (He is autistic) but after he moves it will be for guests.

• jgulliford

If youhavent sourced wallpaper yet, check out black crow studios. They do custom wallpaper, and they have amazing stuff. On their website they show some gorgeous amethyst wallpaper.

• AJCN

Having the casita is such a great plan! The reason I was asking about a powder room is because I think you said you run a dog-sitting business or something like that? You might have people coming to the house frequently, and if they need to use the restroom, your son might feel more comfortable if they use a powder room instead of his. But of course it’s your house and if you don’t want a powder room, that’s completely up to you!

• pngntx

Jgulliford - awesome!! Thanks for the tip

AJCN - Thanks for looking at the big picture - good memory! I do pet care in the client’s home. I will likely let pups that don’t have room to run come and play but wouldn’t likely have many folks in and out. :)

• pngntx

Jgulliford - holy moly!!!! They have gorgeous stuff!

Thanks so much! It’s going to be hard to narrow down the options!

Wow!

• calidesign

If you are still tweaking your floor plan, I would consider closing off the second entry to your master bath. Removing either one of the two doors would allow you to use otherwise wasted space to significantly expand the closet.

• AJCN

Now I see 2 master bath doors. Agree with Cali to eliminate one. Probably I would eliminate the far door at top of drawing, slide vanity and other door north, and then you can have a bigger closet. Also swap WC and shower, so WC is closer to MB entrance. 2 doors into MB could be kinda like a Jack n Jill where someone forgets to lock or unlock a door and it annoys the other person. But I’m not a pro, just trying to think about flow and regular living.

• AJCN

Do you have to have 2 entrances into your laundry room? If you eliminate the door from master closet, you could gain that entire wall for hanging space, a shoe storage stack or built ins. The laundry room is just a few steps from master bedroom anyway, so plenty close, and the extra storage in closet might be of more value to you than the door.

• pngntx

I know those options wouldn’t be the first choice usually but those additional doors were at our request.

I recently had major foot surgery and we had to rearrange the entire bedroom set up so I could get to the toilet. My husband had issues with mobility already too. So we are trying to think of how to make life much easier down the road.

Allowing us to enter the bathroom from either side reduces walking. And we can enter the shower from both sides. Access to the laundry from the master is the same concept.

Watching my parents age in a house that wasn’t conducive to that has caused me to think and rethink what might be needed

• AJCN

Gotcha, that makes sense. Have you already involved a designer who is an aging in place specialist? I haven’t done this but from what I understand, they can help you make decisions from property line to property line.

• pngntx

Ok you guys!! I need a little more help :)

I just scored an amazing bathtub for my little dude:

If that doesn't say "FANCY" to a pre-teen boy, I don't know what would. I'm super excited about this bargain!

Based on his generic floorplan (nothing final yet) do you guys think there's room to do a smaller vanity, move the toilet over and put a separate shower in there?

With the tub being a drop in, I don't know if it's recommended to make it a shower as well, but he will never need the second sink anyway, so I think it might be a better option if it's not too crowded. I'm having a hard time visualizing how I would do it.

Ideas?

Wondering about even turning the tub 90* and putting it on the wall, putting the shower across from it and basically making the back half of the bathroom a 'wet room'.

My biggest concern is keeping everything super easy to clean because my dear boy isn't exactly extra tidy. ;)

• pngntx

AJCN - our architect is helping us out with that and has given us some good ideas. :)

• Coneflower4

How about asking him to draw a picture of himself in the best bathroom he could imagine? This might be helpful as well as fun!

• calidesign

Imo a "wet room" is a cleaning nightmare, but it doesn't look like that is a good tub for use as a shower. The tub may need a large deck for the equipment, and looks like it is too deep for use as a shower combo. Did you notice your plans show a 56" tub and this one is a 66", without the deck? The price also seems suspect to me. I would seriously rethink the tub. If you want both a shower and tub, you may be able to change the door to a pocket door, move the toilet to the linen closet, reduce the sink to one vanity, put the shower in the back of the room, and fit a free standing tub along the wall next to the new shorter sink. Not much is fancier than a free standing tub.

• pngntx
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Calidesign - the tub in the plan is 5’6”, so it is 66”

I’ve purchased from RenovationAngel in the past. They are above board and a great charity. This is just a demo tub from a showroom.

Coneflower - we have had lots of chats about it. His mind keeps changing so I told him I’m taking it from here for my own sanity.
  • live_wire_oak

That tub will not work as a tub shower. It’s designed to have a deck around it as a separate soaking tub, with a totally separate shower.

A tub shower must have an integral tile flange.

• Karenseb

If you really want to keep the soaking tub, I would remove the linen cabinet and bump the bathroom out 12 inches to accommodate a shower behind the door. You can install a hinge restrictor to keep the door from hitting the shower if needed.

• AJCN

I've been following your thread, and I really think you should consider sticking to a tub/shower combo because:

- Cleaning. It's soooo much easier to clean because you don't have all that glass of a stand-alone shower. You can hang a really cool shower curtain, and if it gets dirty, just wash it, or if it gets really yucky you can throw it away and buy a new on. It's also easier to clean a tub than a tiled shower floor.

- Style/cost consideration. It might be fun for your son to have the freedom to change the shower curtain as his tastes change over the years, and that's a very inexpensive thing to do. If he wanted a new shower curtain every quarter, it would still be waaaayy less expensive than the glass required for a stand-alone shower.

- Privacy. Your son might actually want to draw the shower curtain while taking a bath (my daughters like to do that). Some people don't like glass because even though no else is in the room, it "feels" too exposed. My daughters were locking the door (!), paranoid that someone would walk in on them, and I told them to draw the curtain instead bc locking the door is not safe.

- It can still be fancy. You can still make the tub/shower combo very fancy because it doesn't have to be the typical 30"x60" size. If you can elongate the area on your drawing to accomodate a 66" or longer tub with a slightly slanted back (don't know the width you want, but 32", 34" or 36" would be fancier than 30"), then it will feel very luxurious and he can grow into it as he gets older. You can also add a few other fancy elements such as a full-wall niche (with amethyst-colored tile maybe?), nice fixtures, bath pillow, etc.

Just my thoughts of course!

• pngntx
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thank you for the ideas!!

I have already purchased the tub and am determined to find the best fit.

It’s 66x36 and will be the favorite thing in the room for my guy - especially considering the calming sounds it plays and that he can feel the sound waves in the water.
  • pngntx

Photo didn’t attach?

• pngntx

Not sure why my comments are funky. Sorry everyone!

Thinking I can move his bedroom closet to the other side, going along the full wall. One side can be for clothes. The other for storage - toys, rocks, etc.

Then that gives me room to have walking space around the tub so we can tuck a shower in behind it and avoid glass all together.

• shirlpp

Since you're considering moving his closet - why not make the linen closet the shower and then put a linen closet next to the new tub?

• pngntx
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Interesting idea - do you think the shower would be wide enough?

The reason I like the idea of the shower behind the tub - no glass needed. Maybe not even a shower curtain. His normal shower stuff would be hidden from people using the bath as our guest bath. (Will be the only other bath besides the MBR)

I agree the linen closet might look strange alone tho. Maybe a built in bench next to it?

Although that would become a huge catch all I’m sure.
  • pngntx

After looking at the floor plan I could probably steal a few feet between bedroom 2 and bedroom 3 to make the bath large enough to create a walk-in alcove shower where that linen closet is.

• shirlpp

Nice idea! I looked at your ideabook and the Devine Casita is your plan right? Nice, however, can you please consider putting in a powder room.

• pngntx

I’m terrible about updating the idea books.

This is our tentative plan right now. There will also be a small casita as well.

The home is our retirement home and we’ve decided that we don’t need more than 2 bathrooms, especially with the casita for overnight guests.

We are trying to find ways to narrow it a bit more because we are going to be close to some beautiful oak trees I can’t bear to remove

• AJCN

Is there anywhere you could put in a powder room? Just a sink and toilet?

• pngntx
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I’m curious - why is a powder room so important?

I honestly don’t think it’s needed as it will just be my husband and I soon and we have the 2nd bathroom.

While it’s for son, it’s going to be fairly modern and simple - with amethyst graphic wall covering and simple accents.

Am I missing something?
  • suzyq53

Just good to have a separate sink and toilet for guests. Then less issues and pressure for your son to keep his bath pristine because likely isn't going to happen so you end up scrubbing his bath if expecting guests. I know you will encourage him to keep it clean but based on my experience it won't be guest ready. Hah good thing our guests don't use our master because it is never pristine.

• pngntx

Hey everyone!! Just popping in to give you an update on the ‘fancy fancy’ planning!

We’ve got a finished floor plan now. We decided to go with the amethyst theme and it’s coming together pretty easily. It’s been a fun room to plan.

I’m still looking for the perfect vanity but it’ll be a black vanity with modern lines.

I haven’t decided if the amethyst mural I attached will be on the wall as art, behind the tub as a mural or on the tub surround as an accent - if it’s at risk of being wet, I’ll be adding a clear coat of epoxy to make it waterproof.

I found a Kohler Vibracoustic drop in tub for a steal, so the tub will be extra special since my guy loves music.

Still working on the final touches but wanted to share our progress and thank you all for your ideas and input.

• Sara

So fancy!!! I love it.

• john3582

It sounds lovely. I am so happy for both of you.

• tartanmeup

Sounds so much fun to plan. I hope he loves it! Where did you find the pretty sconce?

• pngntx

tartanmeup - it’s a Feiss fixture called Katerina. I ordered it a few days ago on Supply.com but have since found out it’s been discontinued.

My order shows that it’s pending fulfillment, so fingers crossed that they had it in stock and not ordering from Feiss!

• pngntx

My last decision is the shower wall. I actually posted a separate post about it specifically to see if anyone had experience

I’m considering buying this wall paper and adhering it to a waterproofed substrate and then doing a coat or two of epoxy on it.

I’m comfortable enough with my experience in epoxy to feel I can do the pour without too many problems.

I’m just not sure if there’s a downside to doing it that I’m not considering.

Anyone have an idea?