Software
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Violette rambler

7 years ago

I'm enjoying it. I think it's purpler than either of these pictures.






More like the color:


Comments (36)

  • 7 years ago

    Love that color!!

    erasmus_gw thanked pippacovalent
  • 7 years ago

    Very dramatic and beautiful!

    erasmus_gw thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Just gorgeous!! Love it on the arbor! :-)

    erasmus_gw thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago
    Oh, love that colour. It is so romantic and very inviting to the arbour. I can see punk roses too.
    Does that colour stay true or fades in summer ?
    That is my favorite colour...deep magenta or deep deep purple. I got one EBB Tide and I definitely need more colours like that :)
    jin
    erasmus_gw thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    hehehe...not punk but pink.
    opps :)
    forgive me with my silly mistakes..touch screen is so Agree !!
    jin
  • 7 years ago

    I love mine I got from you. I agree about the color. The last picture is better. Probably darker still. Love seeing your pictures of your beautiful garden.

    erasmus_gw thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    Wow, Erasmus, that is beautiful!

    erasmus_gw thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    Agreed! Just gorgeous!

    erasmus_gw thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Love your garden! I have 'Violette', too, but it doesn't look like that. Clearly it prefers your conditions.

    erasmus_gw thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you! It is a once-bloomer, Plumeria Girl. It's related to Veilchenblau but doesn't get as huge as Veilchenblau.

  • 7 years ago

    It is sprawling around on the sunny side. I like letting plants do their thing to some extent.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh this is gorgeous!

    erasmus_gw thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago
    That's a great colour, it looks great on that arbour! I too would like to see more of your garden!
    erasmus_gw thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you for sharing images of this rarely seen, majestic purple rambler. Your specimen is positively breathtaking! I grow it, too, but mine has got a lot of explaining to do now that I've seen your photos. Who knew it could look THAT spectacular?! You're right about the color. It's one of those deep shades that's hard to capture with a camera. Violette is really, really violet-purple. I grow mine next to Madame Alfred Carriere, and except for the effort involved in containing those two, I'm rather pleased with how well they play together. P.S. Your garden is beautiful! Count me in as another who can hardly wait to see more. I'll pretend we're sitting together in lawn chairs and swapping family stories while I gaze at your roses. :-) Carol

    erasmus_gw thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. I think MAC and Violette would be beautiful together. My white arbor is no longer white..it's lichen green. There was a can of marked down exterior paint so I snapped it up.

  • 7 years ago

    So darling! This inspires me to try and start some seedlings from Veilchenblau to see what happens.

    erasmus_gw thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful rose, and your garden looks lovely! Is this what HMF identities as “Climber, Hybrid Multiflora, Polyantha, Cl.. ”, bred by Eugène Turbat & Compagnie (France, 1921)? Your photos are prettier than any they have on HMF.

    erasmus_gw thanked Rosefool/Karen 8b, central Texas
  • 7 years ago

    Wow that is beautiful! Mine (new last spring) is covered in buds - if its only a fraction as gorgeous as yours I'll be plenty happy!


    erasmus_gw thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Eramus, you got to show us more. I took a snap shot of your pic. In the background, I can see so many roses and they all look beautiful. I am dying to explore further. ..hehe ;).
    You have a beautiful garden and I too wish I was there. Opps !! I almost forgot to paste the pic. Silly me :)
    Great idea to put it on HMF. Yours is beautiful !!

    jin

    erasmus_gw thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks so much! It would be nice if we could tour each other's gardens. Mine is getting to be pretty hard to keep up with. It is interesting how the weeds germinate in flushes. Always the same type of weed at the same time of year.

  • 7 years ago

    Weeds have their requirements, too. It doesn't stop me from pulling the truly obnoxious ones, but I find in myself a growing attitude that weeds are just plants, which leads me to think of them, if not actually with benevolence, at least with a sort of tolerant respect.

  • 7 years ago

    But the reason a weed is called a weed is that it wants to take over. I have about decided to be tolerant of chickweed, but I can not be passive about pokeweed, or a little cucumber vine, wild grapevine , or poison ivy, and several others. I have a few pretty plants that are invasive such as rudbeckia, chameleon plant, tall phlox, physostegia, and yellow corydalis.

    I'm sorry I didn't answer your question, rosefool. You are correct about the ID of Violette.


  • 7 years ago

    Erasmus, you've been in my garden obviously. Is it just me or is the pokeweed absolutely out of control this year? I too have the little cuke invader and grapevines out the wazoo. They all become compost, so that's good.

  • 7 years ago

    Shudder! Poison ivy. I don't miss that one! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Pokeweed is a pain. I had two little boys in my garden who asked if they could eat the blackberries. It was pokeweed. Some parts of that plant are poisonous I think, though you can eat poke salad, which I think is made only with young leaves.

    Grapevine is maybe the worst weed I have. It grows a couple of feet overnight, and you can't just pull it up. You have to dig it out, and once it's big I just don't know how to get rid of it. The cuke invader reseeds something awful. Is yours the kind with the stems like fine filaments, and the little cukes like green marbles?


  • 7 years ago

    Erasmus, I know. I have my own choked weed jungles, too.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    We have oodles of pokeweed (Phytolacca americana) popping up all over our inner city neighborhood, too, and we have kids of all ages wandering the sidewalks right next to the seductive berries. When she was younger, I had to redirect my daughter hundreds of times during our walks. I've read that this plant, when used cautiously and with an understanding of when and how and what, can serve a number of useful purposes. However, it is also the case that all parts are toxic to mammals, including humans. I believe the root is the most toxic. Erasmus, you mentioned using very young leaves for salad, and it is my understanding that you have to boil them twice and change the water in between. (Everyone reading this, please note that you should double check a reliable source instead of taking my word for the safety of this preparation.) Personally, I'm going to stick to kale and arugula. Like you, I worry about the intersection between curious young berry samplers and these rapidly developing, attractive but poisonous botanical interlopers. Since birds seem to be spreading this native "weed" like crazy, it's recommended that gardeners do not handle it with bare hands and only a hefty shovel and determined digging can make a dent in the stubborn taproot, I find urban pokeweed intensely annoying! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Good to know more about pokeweed, Carol. I told the little boys not ever to eat things out in the wild without knowing for sure what they are. Even many grownups don't know how to recognize a poisonous mushroom.

    I have managed not to get poison ivy. I had poison oak in 1970 after I rolled down a hill in Hayward, CA. Don't ask me why I rolled down a hill.

  • 7 years ago

    Violette is my personal favorite of the purple multiflora ramblers, and the one that was best able to tolerate my alkaline soil. To me it is much prettier than Veilchenblau, which looks a bit grayish to me.

    Rosefolly

  • 7 years ago

    I had the same thought while reading the comments, Rosefolly. I think I've only seen Veilchenblau once in person, but to me its color does not look like a "Veilchen" (the name of violets in German) which do not have that grayish tone. Must have been wishful thinking on the part of the breeder. Violette, on the other hand, does live up to its name beautifully.

  • 7 years ago

    Where's the "eek" emoji when I need it? That hill in CA sounds like a story for a post of its own, Erasmus! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Here's Veilchenblau to compare. I think it's a pretty color.



    I think my camera accidentally had a blue enhanced setting for the above pic.

    This big Veilchenblau came down with RRD years ago. I think the bigger the plant, the more surface area mites can land on, so the more likely it could get RRD. Plus I guess these ramblers have multiflora in them.

    I put a second Veilchenblau near my picket fence in dry shade, thinking it would not thrive well there so would not get too big. It settled in and started to look like it would get huge so I took it out. I chopped the plant, chopped the roots and tossed it in a big pot. I left it in the pot most of the winter with no potting soil. ( didn't care about it much I guess). Then it started perking up so I potted it in soil and now it is doing fine. I just don't want it to get huge.

    Here is Purple Skyliner, which some describe as a reblooming Veilchenblau. It also has a lot of vigor. It's hard to capture the color...pics often look pinker than it is. It is a pretty purply shade.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'm convinced! :-)


    And I'm so sorry about the RRD! It looks like there has been life after RRD in your garden, though. SO much beauty still reigns. Carol

    erasmus_gw thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    Such pretty purples, Erasmus! I’m amazed at your Veilchenblau that survived in the pot over winter with no soil—what a will to live!! You certainly have the green thumb. :-)

    erasmus_gw thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    I have not seen any RRD yet this year. It makes me imagine what it's like to live in a place where it is never seen, or rare.

    I have not had RRD devastate my garden like wildfire. I think I calculated that it is 6% of my roses which I've lost to RRD over the years, roughly 15 to 20 years since I saw the first case. My location might be a help in some way. Or it might be because I am pretty prompt about getting rid of an infected plant. I don't give plants a chance by cutting out one part of them and waiting to see if more RRD shows up.

    Also I sterilize pruners and my shovel frequently. The rate that I have lost plants to RRD is not worse than losing them to other causes. So in my experience it has not been devastating, knock on wood.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!