Software
Houzz Logo Print
parisbolder

suggested tree size for 25 foot ceiling?

7 years ago

Hi

I’m trying to decide on a christmas three size for our formal living room which is big with the following dimensions 25’ by 25, with a 25 foot ceiling, this is an open plan house so the foyer is before the formal living and is 30’ by 25’ by the same 25 foot ceiling which is continuous to the family room.

Would a 20’ christmass tree would be ok for this space?

If soo where to find a good quality one that does not look commercial?

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    Balsam Hill has 15-30 foot trees. Right now, they have only one 15-footer but you might keep checking back beginning around September. They do get more in, and I have to say their quality is high. If you can handle it, one without lights will probably last you longer than one with (unless you don't mind cutting off the pre-lit lights when they die out): https://www.balsamhill.com/c/15-to-30-ft-artificial-christmas-trees


    I have to say that I really don't know how people decorate these tall trees, though I would presume a stepladder.

  • 7 years ago

    We did an 18' tree with a 27' ceiling once and it was great. We definitely could have gone taller but we couldn't find a good tree that was taller, and our Christmas tree cutting permit didn't allow topping, so that ruled out chopping the top off a larger tree.


    Since you're asking about this in spring, I imagine you're looking for a fake tree? I don't have any experience or recommendations there.



  • 7 years ago

    Just a comment that a 20' tree will also have a wide diameter at the base....you might lose a fair amount of living space...

  • 7 years ago

    Yes definitely looking for an artificial tree. Just more practical for such a size. We always hire a company to decorate the tress and the fireplaces in the house.

    Looking for it know to get a better deal on it.

    On the size I think I would prefer a slim profile, but not skinny.

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with using Balsam Hill. You could call them now to see what they plan to have available later this year.

  • 7 years ago

    I like Patricia's and Balsam Hill's suggestions to use a 12' tree. I like the idea of keeping the scale more human.

    Otherwise you run the risk of looking like a hotel lobby, or the White House or Met Museum at Christmas. Unless of course that's the effect your going for.

  • 7 years ago

    We have 18-20 ft ceilings. For many years we had a 12 ft pre-lit tree. It was perfect, but it did fill up a lot of room space. I stopped using it a couple of years ago since our children are adults and not around to help decorate it. I became tired of climbing up and down a ladder to decorate it and take it down. Husband was tired of dragging the heavy thing up and down from storage.

    I downsized to a 10 ft tree. While not quite as grand, it's still fills up the space and looks fine. I still need a ladder to decorate, but not as much.

  • 7 years ago

    last year we had to put it under the chandelier so it would not look small for the room, we want to place it against the two story windows, hence the need to make it much bigger. and the drapes are also 24 feet high.

    decorating will be done by a crew in our house, since they do 5 front balconies, 7 chimneys, 2 trees and stairs.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Then get whatever you want but IMO those skinny trees look weird when they are tall.

  • 7 years ago

    It's months away, but I hope you post pictures when it's decorated! Sounds like it will be stunning.

  • 7 years ago

    Im not ok with a skinny tree, neither a fat tree. the proportions of the tree have to look right. just to give you a perspective, the size of mirror on top of the chimney is 14ft tall so the tree needs to be good size.


  • 7 years ago

    Would it be possible to put it in front of the balcony, so that some of the width can be in the hall? You would still be able to get around it, but less would be in the room...

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio