Software
Houzz Logo Print
lesley_baradel

Refrigerator in Pantry

7 years ago

I am struggling with whether to put my extra refrigerator in my pantry or garage. My space is 70W x 11'9"L, so the width is small and I know that when I open the door up 90 degrees, I would really only have 8" between me and the back wall. But, I have had refrigerators in my garage and I feel they get dirty so I do not like it.


Is this space too tight to do this? Also, will there be ventilation problems?

I have to make my decision quickly bc plumbing starts this week and my refrig has an ice maker so I will need to plumb for that. TIA!!


Note: The pic shows it is 6' but we made the upper wall 2x6 so I lost 2".


Comments (14)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    We recently added a laundry room/mud room to our house to move the laundry from the basement to main floor. Our original plan was to have a sink in the laundry room because that's what every one does. Fortunately, I thought of putting the garage reefer in the sink space early in the design process. We love our small addition and having the 2nd reefer in the house and convenient to the kitchen is one of the best features. It's plumbed for a sink if we ever change our minds.

    Lesley Baradel thanked Granite City Services
  • 7 years ago

    Do you have the model of fridge are you putting in the space? Or at least general dimensions that you can share?

    Lesley Baradel thanked damiarain
  • 7 years ago

    Is your space as tight as mine?

  • 7 years ago

    If possible I would place it on the short wall opposite the doorway to make it easier to move in and out. A ceiling vent fan and a tilt out transom window above the doorway would help to keep the air moving, especially if it is in a spot where you will likely be keeping the door closed.

    Lesley Baradel thanked wilson853
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I agree a fridge will produce a lot of heat in a small space so a window would be a good idea. I have to tell IMO walk in pantries are a waste of space but now that it is there in the pantry is IMO a better spot than the garage and the only place I think it can go is on the left wall and will eat into the other storage space for sure

    Lesley Baradel thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Fridge is a Whirlpool 28 wide x 28" deep. wall with reefer, washer, and dryer has only 2" add'l space over total for appliances. We made this work by putting the appliances on dollies so they can be pulled straight out. Reefer has to be a little more out from the wall to provide clearance for the door to open without hitting the adjacent washer (this is a detail that is often overlooked by non-professionals.) added room is right across from the pantry so very conveniently placed. heat from reefer has not been an issue, it is a few inches farther from the wall to clear the plumbing stubs that allow for a future sink.

    Lesley Baradel thanked Granite City Services
  • 7 years ago

    My refrig dimensions are 34D x 32.75W x 69H. I cannot get a vent in there but it seems that this has not be a huge issue for some. I will ask my builder about it. The door will probably be open much of the time anyways.

  • 7 years ago

    My pantry is 8.5 long by 6.25 wide and I have an upright freezer on the side wall as you enter the pantry. I love the convenience vs. having it in the garage. One tip is to be aware of what side the door swing is on so you do not block the entrance or bang into cabinetry.

    Lesley Baradel thanked carladr
  • 7 years ago

    We put a small 10 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer in a pantry area. So much better than going to the garage. We primarily use it for a beverage center - sodas, beer, water and the crisper drawers are used for fruit like oranges, lemons and limes. Freezer is tiny, but good for smaller packages.

    Lesley Baradel thanked Denise Evans
  • 7 years ago

    Wanted to add that we don't have a vent or window in the pantry but we have a pocket door that is always open. I haven't noticed any issues with heat being generated from the freezer.


    Lesley Baradel thanked carladr
  • 7 years ago

    We have a pocket door and I am now going to place it it in the back like the pix above and put some shelves around it. I have alot of pantry and cook fresh alot so I will have PLENTY of shelf space. I really appreciate all the help in this decision!

  • 7 years ago

    I had one in my last pantry but it was 6'6" wide. My pantry door was to the far right walking in and the fridge was the first thing on the left. We loved it and will never not have an extra fridge nearby. Our family size and needs demand it. I never had any trouble with heat, either.

    That being said, though, I think 5'10" will be a little tight to place yours as I did mine and if you place it at the end, it'll have to be in the middle for door clearances. That will create two narrow deep "pocket" on each side of the fridge that might be awkward to use.

    Is there no way to get a few more inches in the pantry?


  • 7 years ago

    No refrigerator in my pantry, have an upright freezer in my mudroom ;0) My SIL has a refrigerator in a galley style pantry that's a bit on the narrow side...a squeeze if the refrigerator door or door to second dishwasher that is installed in that room are open, but we all make it work and appreciate the space.

    My caution would be if you are still considering your garage. Depending on your climate, the newer refrigerators won't work in an unheated space in winter. That is to say, the refrigerator part would likely be fine, but any food you might have in the freezer WILL thaw - discuss it with an appliance salesman. There are about two refrigerators on the market deemed appropriate for an unheated space. This is a coastal Z8 and the owner of a dedicated appliance store did not want to sell me a new refrigerator for the garage, knowing its performance would disappoint.