Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Perle d'Or by mistake

7 years ago

My PdO has finally taken off, after sulking for 3 years - I think all of the rain we got this Winter (last real rainfall was last week, so I can't really say Winter!) woke it up. It is about 4 feet high, but I am sure is planning on getting bigger. I did not actually mean to order it - I ordered one for a neighbor "to be picked up" (by me) from a nursery when I was visiting the area where the nursery was. Very confused at the office - could not find my order, but a nice person went out and dug one up for me and I paid for it. Sure enough, the following week (marked already paid for) another one arrived at my home. So, of course I had to plant it!


Jackie





Comments (10)

  • 7 years ago

    What a happy specimen and what a fun backstory! If you're going to end up with a duplicate rose, Perle d'Or is one of the best. My PdO sends its regards to yours! Carol



  • 7 years ago

    It's a wonderful rose. There's a huge one in the San Juan Bautista Campo Santo.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Helpful hint for you -- 'Perle d'Or' will leaf-out on its naked candelabra canes, and these will continue to grow, branch, and bloom. They don't look like they will, but they will. Mine was "sulking" its first two years because I was dead-heading by removing those early candelabra canes, cutting back to the next set of leaflets like the books said. Well, when I got too caught up with work to keep after it, I found my error -- 'Perle d'Or' would start leafing-out on those naked stems I didn't get around to cutting, and it built upon itself that way, growing rather quickly thereafter. To shape, I'd just remove the parts of the candelabras that were pointing toward the center, and over time, it achieved a rather vase-shaped form that echoed its Tea ancestry. There's a pic or two of my plant somewhere on HelpMeFind.......oh, here.

    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.319647


    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.319646

    :-)

    ~Christopher

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Christopher! I had no idea they would do that. I spent yesterday pruning and re-organizing a bed of roses, and I do remember cutting off those sorts of sprays - they did not appear to have those little nodes on them where the leaves come from. Do other roses do that? Leaving roses alone is what I do best, so I will stop cutting those off on many roses, and see what happens.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    PdO is one of my best roses for bs resistance and bloom power here in the hot, humid southeast. Sometimes I deadhead the spent candlelabras and sometimes I don't get around to it. Either way, it grows like a weed in my garden. Mine was planted 5 or 6 years ago and is about 6 ft x 6 ft now...maybe larger. Here it is this spring





  • 7 years ago

    Jackie, I can't say this is the case for all roses, but it is the case for 'Perle d'Or' -- and probably other Poly-Teas. Just snap the faded bloom right below the receptacle, and leave the naked candelabra canes. Soon enough you'll see which will sprout new shoots and which won't, since the latter will start to shrivel and dry. Clip those off, plus any that won't be growing in the direction you prefer.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pat, your PdO is beautiful! Wow! With those beautiful blooms and great black spot resistance, it sounds like I need PdO.

    Good tip Christopher!

  • 7 years ago

    I can vouch it's true about the candelabras and the hardiness of this gorgeous beast.. She blooms here April through November here. In cooler weather the flowers are a bigger and in particular in fall it pops out these longer, strappy petals. I got mine in Spring 2017, the one in full sun is now 4' x 3'. It's sister that's mostly shaded is just a twiggy thing. This little bouquet was from late November. I'd have to say it's the best rose I'm growing all around.


  • 7 years ago

    Fruitcat, that’s just gorgeous! I love how it goes from pink to peach. This would be a great bridge plant, to join pinks & peaches.

    All these beautiful roses, I am going to have to start guerrilla gardening, lol! :-)