Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_r_duggins

Fox Hosta Farm!

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Had a fabulous visit with Bob and Linda Fox at Fox Hosta Farm on Memorial Day on the drive home from seeing my daughter. Very engaging, gracious hosts with a passion for big, beautiful blue Hostas. It was really cool seeing the up and coming creations he's working on. I've added some more to my list that won't be available for a few years. We ended up staying almost 3 hours. Enough of the chit-chat, let's see the pics!

Here's what greets me as I exit my car.

and my lovely wife

Hard to tell, but these are the biggest leaves I've ever seen. The tall green in the middle. All of the Hostas near it had huge leaves. Sorry there's no scale - even staying 3 hours, I felt rushed.

Some of the things he's working on.

and preparing to leave

The rest of the pics are here Fox Hosta Farm

Comments (18)

• 4 years ago

Sorry about that. Here's the shared link (I'm still new to google photos). Let me know if this one works.

Fox Hosta Farm

That yellow one in the 4th picture is the one he was showing off. There are two other pics of it in the link. And the big green in the previous picture dwarfed those.

Here's what I went home with:
    Sweetheart
    Extasy
    H.F. Going Green
    Stand by Me
    Robin Hood
    Going for Gold
    Christmas Lights
    Foxfire Palm Sunday
    Ruffles n Ridges

and a sampler in my wheel barrow

• 4 years ago

steve..I saw the link..fabulous photos!..what a fun place..I love your new hostas..like everyone else I love the big yellow one..

steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • 4 years ago

I've never gone to a hosta farm where they dig them out for you. That looks like fun!

You're getting quite a big collection. I'm waiting on Stand by Me, but don't have any of the others you listed. Your second link is working. I recognize "Almost" in the 4th row down. Nice to see what I hope mine will grow into.

steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • 4 years ago

Love the big yellow. You have a great collection growing by leaps and bounds. How many varieties do you have now?

steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio thanked miles10612
  • 4 years ago

I learned to cheat. I bring only so much cash to Bob and Linda. Otherwise I will be in trouble, big trouble. I have no real estate left. Bob sure knows how to grow them right.

• 4 years ago

I've never been anywhere else like Fox's. His seedlings are MIND blowing! they are HUGE - literally the biggest hosta I've ever seen. Here's a beauty I picked up from him last year - one of his seedlings:

Neptune x Lothar the Giant

• 4 years ago

Looks like a great place to stop at when on the way to Chicago. Now for the planting to begin.

• 4 years ago

Thanks all. It truly is a wonderful place to visit. Might be my most enjoyable visit yet. That "Almost" is actually "First Blush"

He sells seedlings!!! Maybe it's best I didn't know that as I already nixed these from my list I was making as I walked around:

xmas tree gala, 5 o'clock shadow, glory, totally twisted, lakeside waterfall, rhythm & blues, arc de triomphe, sergeant pepper, blue eyed dragon, pillow talk, aladdin's lamp, lakeside cindy cee, amazing grace, gilded teacup, diva, fox factor, blue shadows - calling all enablers, anything on this list an amazing grower with unique qualities that every hostaphile needs?

I'll be up around 333 different Hosta after this year's acquisitions. I'm still waiting on a few shippers to deliver. Seems like a slow year for mail order, but now I can catch up on other gardening chores.

Yes planting has begun in earnest. Here's a couple you don't see a lot of Ruffles n Ridges and HF Going Green

(Did I mention I also went to Land of the Giants the day before?)

• 4 years ago

Boy, you are in a lot of work to be done. Lakeside waterfall is one of my favorites. It is such a cheerful small yellow, just a gem.

steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • 4 years ago

Arc de Triomphe

• 4 years ago

Xmas tree gala is a favorite after 5 years mine is finally looking good

steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio thanked miles10612
  • 4 years ago

I will post a pic this weekend

• 4 years ago

Yes, Lakeside Waterfall really caught my interest. Some of my cuts were because the plants were smaller, but L.W. is a small plant to begin with. And Arc de Triomphe was on my list when I was trying to grow in California, but that guy takes up a lot of room. I'm already working on a list for when I go back. Hopefully next year. I don't think my back can take much more.

Need . . . . more . . . . . . pictures.

I was really happy when I came across one I just loved, but I had already ordered or recently received it. Like Simply Sharon with these large dinner plate sized leaves and over two feet tall, larger than I expected:

or Rascal, which I ordered after seeing and hearing such good things about it here, but great to see how big it gets in person - it never looked that big in pictures.

• 4 years ago

Oooh! I'll be driving near there 2 times in the next 2 weeks. Are they open weekdays, or only weekends? Thanks

• 4 years ago

You can contact them by phone and check. They are very friendly.

Steve, did you see his Justice?

• 4 years ago

Yes, call and make an appt. very worthwhile.

I'm not talking about Justice in the hopes that nobody else will notice it since I didn't pick it up this time. And don't mention Her Honor (working name) either.