Software
Houzz Logo Print
mg930

Help with kitchen layout

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I would be appreciative of any feedback on this kitchen layout. There will be a steam oven in the island. Dishwasher will be to the right of the sink.

The windows will be French casement with muttons. There is a view of the harbor from those windows and that is why there are no upper cabinets.

Planning on purchasing a Wolf 48 inch DF and a subzero 42 inch side by side.

Thank you!!!

Melissa








Comments (7)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Nice ice-water-fire layout & lots of drawers - good work!

    Will you use the desk? I hear many people removing kitchen desks as often not used (esp. when you have that great island with a view, I'd sit there - not at a desk facing the wall).

    I also have a couple upper cabinet to countertops; suggest putting drawer(s) at bottom, so you can still open the cab doors even if you have a cup (or something else) sitting on the counter.

  • 7 years ago

    Mdle- great suggestions! I am on the fence about the desk. Right now my hot spot is on the kitchen counter and my 7 and 9 year old come home with lots of papers everyday. Hoping to file them promptly. Also my kids do homework and sometimes need my help while I am making dinner. It’s nice to have a dedicated computer area. I love the look of the cabinets to countertops, I could do that around my stove but will I lose too much prep area around my stove?

  • 7 years ago

    I would not want the steam oven in the island. I would want it at eye level or at counter level so the controls can be seen and items an be easily and safely removed.

  • 7 years ago

    Your fridge and range will be about twice as far apart as the NKBA recommended 9' maximum for efficient prep/work. I'd suggest putting the range in the middle of the long counter between wide double windows, with a prep sink on the island. The clean-up zone can go on the right side short wall where the range is drawn.

    But--if symmetry and appearance are more important to you than saving steps (and it's OK if you are form-over-function) then you have IWSF in perfect order. Just think about how many steps between the fridge and range x how many years you plan to cook in this kitchen. Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    Remodeling 1840- good point on the steam oven. I wanted it eye level also. I could not find a place for it. I was going to put it where our coffee station is on the right (to the right of stove) but the coffee station would be so nice! There will also be pantry storage in the bottom. Like this:



  • 7 years ago

    Mama goose- really good point. I am struggling with this and was even considering putting my range in the island We were trying not to block the view of the harbor.

    I want it to look nice but I am worried that I will get annoyed. What is NKBA?