Software
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmama_gw

Kitchen Before and After

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I do not know why, but I cannot find my original post. I am showing my before and afters of my kitchen remodel. I did the vast majority of the work myself. The wall paint is Soar by Shherwin Williams flat Cashmere. Cabinets are Benjamin Moore Advance, I forget the color as it was matched to the grout.

















And my favorite personalized touch... we have a Boston and a pug...



Comments (35)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Great job!

  • 7 years ago

    Nice job.

  • 7 years ago

    Looks great! And I love the artwork.

  • 7 years ago

    beautiful kitchen. Enjoy it!!

  • 7 years ago

    Wow--what a transformation! Beautiful new space.

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful, love the retro look lighting.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Well done! The new cabinet layout and refrigerator placement really open the space up.

  • 7 years ago

    You did a nice job.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Vast improvement!

  • 7 years ago

    Really good work : ) I so enjoy seeing the results when capable people do DIY remodel work. Love the paintings!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Very nice update. Modern with warmth.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Beautiful kitchen transformation! Your new kitchen countertops, cabinets, and lighting looks amazing!

  • 7 years ago

    lovely! I especially like the artwork-love touches like that!!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Very nice. Excellent color choice.

  • 7 years ago

    stove placement is hazardous

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Beautiful work! Love the built-in shelving for additional storage!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    That's awesome!

  • 7 years ago

    I appreciate all of the compliments. It took me a long time to finish it! I still want to do more like internal organizers for some of the cabinets etc... but this works in the mean time.


    Jck910, can you explain why the stove placement is a hazard? I'd like to understand what I missed on that.


    I spent around 12K on the remodel, so I was able to keep it under my budget which made me quite happy.


    I picked the shade of gray for the cabinets by matching it to the grout color so it wasn't noticeable where they grout and cabinets met. :) Sometimes I struggle with decisions so that was my way of not having to make one. ;)


    I really wanted soapstone but that was out of my budget so I went with a honed nero orion granite. I love it. The original counter had the drop in cooktop in it. It was also wider in that spot and the previous owner had bar stools there. I didn't want people to sit at the cooktop, so I am not sure why that was made that way. I removed the cooktop and made the counter much narrower there, with only the traditional overhang on each side. This gave my seating area more room and was more useful to us. The previous family that lived here for 20 years consisted of only 2 people. I live here with 5 children so the 6 of us needed the table space more. I would really think about replacing the cabinets this time if I started over, but I am pleased with how they turned out.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, that's awesome. The end result looks fantastic - everything sparkles.

  • 7 years ago

    There's no protection from the burners as people come through the doorway. I'm surprised it passed inspection

  • 7 years ago

    Your cabinets are lovely !

    What exactly is that shade of gray ? It looks more like a brownish-grey to me...

  • 7 years ago

    Since I started the all the kitchens look the same thread, I felt I needed to point out how this kitchen goes beyond the typical gray/white kitchen.

    Love the light blue walls and the greige cabinets.

    Love that you kept the original floors.

    Love that you kept the wood trim around the window.

    Love the light fixtures.

    Love that you mixed the glass knobs with the pulls.

    And even love that in this case you kept the cabinets which have a nice look to them.

    And yes, while it does have the white backsplash and black counters, it is not the everyone is doing it kitchen!

  • 7 years ago

    Oh I especially love the dog prints!

  • 7 years ago

    Wow. I really love this kitchen. The U shape is my favorite by far. So functional. Those pendants are beautiful.
    My range is the same location as yours. Not sure why one comment mentioned that wouldn’t pass code. I find much safer than having a cooktop out in the middle of a flat open area.

    Nice job!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Nice job rehabilitating those cabinets! They look great.

  • 7 years ago

    My range is the same location as yours. Not sure why one comment mentioned that wouldn’t pass code.

    Ideally there should be a counter on both sides for landing. I know in some areas it would be a code issue, but not in all areas.

  • 7 years ago

    What a tremendous improvement. Well done! Nice material and color choices throughout, and I love the minimal-front fridges with maximum storage!

    While the range placement might not be ideal, you didn’t have a lot of choices, and it’s miles better than that cooktop in the peninsula.

    Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen. And love the doggy prints :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Nice transformation. Doing it yourself is tough when you're doing it but so rewarding in the end! I hope some of your kids were able to help : ) Could you please post how wide the aisle is between the counter and the fridge. I'm looking at the same arrangement and want as much cabinet space possible.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Wow!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The distance between the counter and the refrigerator is 34 inches.

    The paint is Benjamin Moore Advance in flat or matte and the color is Cinder. I matched it to the grout color in my tile. The pictures don't show it well, but there is grey veining in it.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes!!! I could NOT find that! Thanks!


  • 7 years ago

    Wow great job midwestmama! Looks so much better than before. Love how you added the huge fridge/freezer and relocated the stove. Great vision:)