Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

My brand-new $6 Austins

They look better than some I paid more for:


Except Molineux: it looks like half the root broke off and is moldy. I cleaned it and I’m hoping it’s strong enough to rebound:




Comments (24)

  • 7 years ago

    Good for you! I bet they will do great.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Pretty good overall! I hope Moulineux recovers. Mine are at home but now I'm not lol. They werent delivered until right after I had to leave. Luckily my son was home and moved them into the house where its cooler.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I’m glad (edited to add “he“) did that, Sultry! Today was the hottest day so far—my car said 107 when I left the school at 3:30. Tomorrow is supposed to be better. I’ve got mine soaking now, and will clean them up and pot them up when it cools down. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Where did you get these if you don't mind my asking..... thanks

    Sharon

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sharon2079
  • 7 years ago

    Nice! I assume this was the Wayside order.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago

    Oops—yes, forgot to include that. Yep, Wayside. I was so worried that they’d be all brown and shriveled. They are a little wonky, but not bad for $6. Now I just need to keep them alive. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    I just got home and it is dark already. I had the water tubs/buckets ready so I just plopped them in there. Some had longer roots and some shorter. Most seemed to have white growth which probably means they were coming out of dormancy in cold storage or in the box, during shipping. The instructions say, let them soak 2 days. They are in deep shade under a mulberry tree.

    I wish it had rained as they do better soaked in rain water. I will have to get pics in the morning when I'm not stumbling around with a flashlight in the dark lol. Our back few acres is very wooded and backed up to more woods and sometimes kinda creepy at night, tbh LOL! At least, all the night jasmine and brugmansia are blooming so it smells nice.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Glad you got them in some water. The thorns on the Harlow Carr are scaring me a bit. It’s got thorns on the thorns! It looks like it will be pretty vicious. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have heard HC is thorny! I ordered one, one year from Burpee Clearance and it arrived completely dead and dry. They refunded me but I do remember it was thorny. Just keep it out of walkways and seating areas lol. I have some really thorny roses (Mermaid, Laguna,) plus lots of bougainvillea and I have to watch where I place them :/

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Congrats, Perma ! You have great selection there. They really look great no worries, they will grow quickly. This is exciting. .. hurray !!
    Yes, it was really hot today been working outside in backyard all day...weeding, cleaning my pool , pressure washing my patio area.
    Jasmin, can't wait to see what you got ? I absolutely love DA and now I got two of you in FL to tell me how they perform. :)
    jin

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, it probably was Wayside.... David Austins were gone by the time I saw your original post Brent.... but then I put it out of my mind (so I wouldn't dwell) by the time I saw this post.... Boy I wish I would have seen your post earlier... I really want Ancient Mariner..... Oh well, someday I will the lottery.... hopefully.... settle for the rose lottery.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sharon2079
  • 7 years ago

    Jin I hope our weather cools down a bit. I have so much weeding and other outside chores to do.

    Ok, here they are by the light of day lol.

    The 2 Pilgrims. I think they look the best out of the lot. Excuse the kitty paws :)




    Carding Mill, Tranquility, & Darcy Bussell



    Carding Mill (top) looks to have have cane split off the top and other canes look pretty beat up. Not crazy about that.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    They look great Sultry! Very much alive! How deep will you plant yours? I’ve been experimenting with this, and am curious what you’ve been doing?

    Thanks!! :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I usually don't plant deep here. I have issues with the graft staying too wet if we flood. There is a small branch of a river behind the property which during a lot of rain or storm surge can back up into our yard. Some of our yard is clay and doesnt have great drainage that's why a lot of things are in pots.A few yrs ago our yard was a lake for a week lol. Im also thinking of moving in a year or so - so I'm probably going to put these in pots.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I’m very excited, and a little scared. :) I hope they look as good as most of yours! More to the point, I hope I can keep them alive after they get here. more to the point, I hope I can keep them alive after they get here. Lol


    Carding Mill was among those I ordered, but apparently they overlisted their stock as they canceled it from my order. boo hoo. I hope it does well for you!



    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • 7 years ago

    I hope my orders are as good as yours. I have been waiting all day at my front door for the delivery. They are not here yet. Waiting time seems so much longer :(

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Jennifer (7b)
  • 7 years ago

    Oh, you guys are killing me . I wish I would have order first time I saw the thread. It just got posted and it slip out of my mind a few days later all sold out. Next sale :)
    Jasmin, I did my whole yard this week but last few days , I was under pressure . My family is here finally. No more stepping into radiant heat of over 100 degrees. Sorry to hear about the flooding but I am looking forward to more rain so our temps are not so hot.

    jin

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I am really enjoying everyone’s pictures of bareroots, I almost rather look at your pictures and your work than actually have to do my own bargain rose planting when they arrive!

    Suttry,

    How did you get your cat to show off your rose tags, you are quite the cat trainer =)

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Jin, Edmunds' Rose has some roses at 50% off sale. The price isn't as good as J&P or Wayside Gardens but I believe their bare roots are normally big https://www.edmundsroses.com/C/30/WebSpecials

    Some examples:

    Alfred Sisley $10.98

    All Dressed Up $12.48

    Carding Mill $18.98

    Crazy Love $12.48

    Graham Thomas $17.48

    Princess Charlene De Monaco $12.48

    Quick Silver $11.48

    ...

    Helen

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 7 years ago

    Oh, wow—he’s a very handsome fellow! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    We got almost 2” of rain here in Jax. Did you get any Jin? It was our first rain in over a month. I did a happy rain dance when I saw my wheelbarrow filling up—just in time for all my new roses!


    Right now, my rainwater harvesting is very low-tech, but I’m almost done with my rainbarrels, so it will be much easier. But right now I’m just happy to have rain!! :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    We only got a sprinkle yesterday,hopefully we will get some today. We need it badly. My rain barrels are a series of 5 gal buckets lol.

    Your raised veggie garden beds look nice! What all are you growing?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    That’s amazing that we could get a downpour over here and you only got a sprinkle! I’m hoping for more today.

    Thank you! My raised beds are self-watering, much like a wicking bed. They’ve worked out great! Right now, they’re almost entirely full of volunteers...basil, parsley, tomatoes & peppers. A few onions and strawberries, and I think some other herbs. They need thinning, but I’m so swamped with garden chores right now I can’t keep up. :-)