Software
Houzz Logo Print
letstrydiy

Microclover lawn?

7 years ago

We recently bought a house that has a lot of grass in the front yard. To water, mow and maintain this is not going to be ideal in the long run and I'd like to create something lower maintenance that has a similar visual appeal. I've thought about a microclover lawn but am curious what the realities of this are.

Has anyone tried this? Is it indeed easier to maintain? Any drawbacks? If I introduce microclover seed will it eventually push out the existing lawn if I don't water as much, or would I need to tear out the existing lawn and replant just microclover seed?

Comments (4)

  • 7 years ago

    Microclover won't outcompete the lawn, it's just not that competitive and, just like any other stand of any plant, it'll also get weeds that you have to take care of. However, being clover, it's also susceptible to some of the herbicides you'd use to knock out other weeds, including other clovers, oxalis, and so forth.

    Adding it to the existing lawn will get you out of feeding your existing lawn for the most part (you still should, just not nearly as much or as often). The stuff is really more of a helper plant than a groundcover on its own. It's usually used at about five percent of the lawn grass seed count.

    Microclover, just like grass, would require watering during periods of extreme heat and dryness, although it'll need less water than most grasses. So you aren't completely out of the woods in terms of "lawn" care. :-)

    You'll also have a lot of bees, which may or may not be a concern for you. Personally, having dogs, I'd rather not have said bees at grass level but clouds of them in the gardens are fine with me.

    And lastly, clover is moderately wear tolerant, so it should be competitive with the lawn--but I've never tried it as a monoculture.


    Depending on your locale, there may be other lawn alternatives that would serve you better?


  • 7 years ago

    Yes, where do you live?

  • 7 years ago

    Apologies for delay in reply ... I live in the San Francisco bay area, east towards Sacramento where it's a bit warmer/dryer.

  • 7 years ago

    If you have full sun, try UC Verde buffalo grass. It goes in as plugs and will spread far and wide fairly quickly to become full and dense. The mowing, watering, and fertilizer requirements are much lower than for almost all other grass types. This grass will thin out in the shade on the north side of a fence, building, or low shrub. If a tree has a high canopy, it should be fine.

    If you don't like that, then a "dwarf" (actually just slower growing) type of St Augustine would work for you. St Aug is much less hassle than bermuda if you want the bermuda to look nice.

    I seem to recall a discussion about microclover on a forum somewhere. What the owner found was the micro leaves became regular clover after a season or two.