Software
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Update on Tabitha

We have lost our beautiful, our darling Tabitha.

She was hit by a vehicle on the nearby road and died.

It happened some weeks ago, but I have been unable to write about it.

I still can't, sorry.

Daisy

Comments (33)

  • 7 years ago

    I am so sorry for your loss. Do you have friends nearby who can visit with you?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    I’m so sorry Daisy, my thoughts are with you.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago

    I am so sorry! Prayers and thoughts are with you!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    I am so very sorry, Daisy.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I once read a quote from a letter written by F. Scott Fitzgerald that said something to the effect that as long as we cherish the memories we hold, no one can ever take some one or something we loved away from us.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked robw1963
  • 7 years ago

    I am so sorry you are hurting. UC Davis has compiled a list for pet loss bereavement, some are online, it might help

    https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/grief-counseling/pet-loss-resources

    Carla in Sac

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, so sorry....

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • 7 years ago

    Oh Daisy, I am so sorry to hear. She was a sweetheart. Thank you for sharing her with us and letting us know.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    What sad news! I'm so sorry for your loss, Daisy. Just remember that you found her in a bad state, and gave her a wonderful, happy life for a while. So so sorry.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    I’m so sorry for the loss of Tabitha. The time she spent exploring and playing in your garden was a wonderful gift. I’m sad her time was so short.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • 7 years ago

    I'm so sorry Daisy. These losses tear at our soul.

    Though he was talking about dogs, I think Kipling sized it up well:

    The
    Power of the Dog

    Rudyard
    Kipling (1865-1936)

    There
    is sorrow enough in the natural way

    From
    men and women to fill our day;

    And
    when we are certain of sorrow in store,

    Why
    do we always arrange for more?

    Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware

    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

    Buy
    a pup and your money will buy

    Love
    unflinching that cannot lie—

    Perfect
    passion and worship fed

    By
    a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

    Nevertheless it is hardly fair

    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

    When
    the fourteen years which Nature permits

    Are
    closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,

    And
    the vet’s unspoken prescription runs

    To
    lethal chambers or loaded guns,

    Then you will find—it’s your own affair—

    But … you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

    When
    the body that lived at your single will,

    With
    its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).

    When
    the spirit that answered your every mood

    Is
    gone—wherever it goes—for good,

    You will discover how much you care,

    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

    We’ve
    sorrow enough in the natural way,

    When
    it comes to burying Christian clay.

    Our
    loves are not given, but only lent,

    At
    compound interest of cent per cent.

    Though
    it is not always the case, I believe,

    That
    the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:

    For,
    when debts are payable, right or wrong,

    A
    short-time loan is as bad as a long—

    So why in—Heaven (before we are there)

    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, this is heartbreaking. Just know that there are many of us thinking of you in this difficult time. So very sorry to hear this news. :-(

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    So sorry about this sad news, Daisy. I hope you can share your love again in the future.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Oh Daisy - I am so sorry! Thats so devastating. My heart breaks for you all. Tabitha was such a special kitty.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Other posters are right, you did give her a good life. Wishing you peace and good memories!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Genevre
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, I'm heartbroken for you, but know you gave her a wonderful love however short, although that's hardly a condolence now. She felt love and caring and the warmth of your home. Such a precious little imp.

    rob, that is a apt saying; jerijen, what a beautiful poem that truly expresses the sentiment.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    You shared Tabitha with us, Daisy, and I now feel her loss too, although not with your heart-wrenching pain. I so wish I could put my arms around you, to at least try to comfort a pain that does not go away, and only lessens with time. Take care, my friend.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oh Daisy, I’m so incredibly sorry. I opened this thread eagerly, sitting down to enjoy pictures and stories of your sweet little girl. Upon reading your first sentence, I had to close the page for a while, before I could bear to return and read on. I know my mere words cannot help, yet that’s all I have to offer. As others have said, you indeed gave her a happy life, tragically short though it was. As having so recently come so close to a similar loss, I can certainly empathize with your pain. As my son has told me so often, “It’s not about how LONG she lives, it’s about how HAPPY she is with the days she does live.” I know it’s of little consolation now that sweet Tabitha is gone, but you and your husband gave her a very happy life. You made her short life a joyful one, and I hope someday you’ll be able to concentrate on the wonderful days you had with her, rather than that very last bit. I know it’s easy to say such things, and another thing altogether to be the one feeling the empty hole she’s left in your heart. My deepest condolences to you and your husband. ♥️ Lisa

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, I am so sorry. My deepest condolences to you and your husband. I cannot believe Tabitha is gone but I sure remember , how you guys found her and save her. The best days of roaming in your garden. Took perfect pics esp with the very tall vase which I can never ever forget. playing with others family members and older cats. It is very hard and I know your heart is broken but i am sure you will treasure her memories.
    Prayers to you & your husband and I am sorry for your lost again.

    jin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I am so sorry for your loss.

    Jennifer

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Jennifer (7b)
  • 7 years ago

    There isn’t much to be said that can lessen your pain and grief, Daisy.

    So, so sorry and I wish there was a way to offer you comfort, and like Carol, I hold your hand in spirit.

    Tabitha was special, wasn’t she? Not only did she touch your life but many of us on this forum will remember her as well. Thank you for sharing her with all of us through your posts - I will never forget the pic of her in the large pot.

    Jo


    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
  • 7 years ago

    Dear Daisy,

    Tears welled up in my eyes as I read your post! I'm so so sorry you lost your little sweetheart! Just a few days before last Christmas, I lost one of our outdoor cats as well. I found him by the side of the street in our neighborhood when I drove my son to school in the morning. So as I read this thread, I relived all those days after that first sight of him, lying by the curb.

    May I make a suggestion, if I'm not being out of line? A little memorial in Tabitha's honor may help to alleviate your sadness and allow all your wonderful memories of hers live on. Even though our Star Kitty only came to us for about a year, the loss of him intensely saddened me. He, an initially skinny and hostile stray, had learned to really open up to me, letting me pet him, even groomed him. He came to our screened-in porch for meals and a warm spot to sleep in the cold nights. I was saddened and angered that all the year ahead and all the opportunities to get to know him and love him so much more were deprived of me. After Christmas, it came to me that I wanted to keep all the lovely memories of Star as close to me as possible. So I decided to build a small memorial garden on top of his grave in our backyard. Now every time I look at the roses newly planted there, I would smile and think of Star, the wonderful moments I had with him.

    That little memorial garden transformed some of my sadness to hope and anticipation, and helped me to move on, because he will now be with me in the forms of my beloved roses. It may help you too, not to forget, but to retain all the happy moments, the laughters, and the love you shared with Tabitha.

    Hugs and love to you! Please take care!

    --Lin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy. my heart aches with you. Losing a pet is losing a part of your family, and it leaves a hole in your life.

    We lost our 18 year old kitty a few weeks ago

    We bought A little kitty statue and she will be buried under our new arbor surrounded by the roses that she enjoyed helping me plant.

    I am so sorry for your loss, it is so hard but maybe a little Memorial will help


    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    This is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. It sometimes seems the very best are taken from us untimely.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    So sorry for your loss.


    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ily68
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, I am so very sorry that you lost your beloved Tabitha. They touch our lives and leave such an emptiness when they die. She was lucky to be found by your husband, and you gave her a happy life. Hugs.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for allowing us all to know her, too. She touched our hearts. I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave her the best life she could have known. My heart is broken.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank-you all for your thoughts and sympathy, so freely given. It does make a world of difference to me. So many warm responses, it is impossible to reply to you all individually, but thank-you for the poem, jeri. I have had animals all my life and have always been fond of them and enjoyed their company, but Tabitha was special. It was not possible to just be "fond of" Tabitha, we both loved her dearly. She had so many endearing ways, such joy in life and she wanted to be friends with everyone. She showed such happiness and love to us that for the short 5 months she was with us, every day was special. I had better stop now. The keyboard of this lap top is getting too wet! Thank-you all again.
    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    There are tears in my eyes too, dear Daisy, which is as it should be, because Tabitha was a very special kitty. I believe that she still is, and it waiting patiently until she can cuddle in your lap again and purr in your ear, and there will be a garden again, filled with the most beautiful roses, and she will be yours to love always.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Sorry to hear about your little cat, Daisy. Particularly painful when a young cat is so savagely ripped away ( yep, I do know). Hope that empty space in your heart is soon filled up.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    My condolences, Daisy. Cats are wonderful companions, thanks for posting photos of her on the Forum. She was a lovely kitty.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Krista_5NY