FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

mlee1976

GE Cafe Series Matte White Finish?

mlee1976

I am planning a fairly traditional kitchen and have settled on GE Cafe series- 36” professional range, counter depth refrigerator, and dishwasher. I am planning for the perimeter cabinets to be painted some form of white or cream (maybe SW Alabaster) . The island is going to be wood (not painted). All of countertops are going to be a quartzite version of calcutta gold marble (but quartzite). Backsplash will be marble tile. Two new windows with aluminum clad or black grids. Would it look ok to do GE Cafe white matte instead of stainless? Has anyone done anything similar? BTW- there are no appliances going on the island. Is this too trendy? A want classic with a twist.

• suzyq53

BM Oxford White is bright white with teeny tiny bit of gray and looks great on cabs.

• Jenn Tay

@Brigid M Yes, that all sounds amazing! We have black windows and doors and I am doing a black faucet and black/brass pendants so black for the pulls/knobs is my next best option!

Faucet finish stainless steel or chrome?

Both are good for me. But you already have stainless steel hood; in this case, I will go for a stainless steel faucet because of the match. I want to maintain the kitchen theme. Apart from being bright and shiny, I don't find chrome being superior to stainless steel. I think a stainless steel faucet has many advantages than a chrome made faucet as shown in this article.

Slate finish appliances mixed with stainless - do or don't?

We're doing slate appliances in our new build. I've second-guessed myself a bunch but really like the warmer matte look (and apparently greater durability) versus the cold shiny stainless. We're having walnut cabinets and a rustic cobblestone floor and when I put them together they look great and will definitely suit our modern jungalow style better than SS. Second choice would be GE Cafe matte white.

Need to replace white GE dishwasher - replace with another white GE or

I guess we all have different experiences, but I hated my Bosch. We purchased it because of the reviews, but it was NOT quiet and there was constantly food stuck on the dishes. We had techs out a few times and they determined that there wasn't anything wrong with it. Also, when we replaced it the outlet had burn marks....apparently Bosch dishwashers were recalled due to a fire hazard. (I tend to not randomly read recall notices. I guess I should make doing so part of my daily job :-/).... ETA: I absolutely don't think appliances need to be the same brand. You definitely want to choose your appliances based on what's the best in your price range...NOT for looks. For example I love my Bosch oven. But I wouldn't buy another dishwasher. Each manufacturer has their own strengths so you want to decide based on that. The appliance forum here is great!...

White Glossy Subway Tile or White Matte Subway?

After more tile shop shopping and the comments, I clearly saw that white subway tile washes out the granite. With my sample white ice granite, I went looking for a soft taupe tile. The sales lady pulled a few samples which included this pale gray satin matte finish. This gray appears just right and within budget. It goes well with the brushed stainless appliances despite stating that I did not want gray. Previously, I had the wrong gray from a big box store (geesh). A special thanks to Patricia Colwell for pointing out the obvious that the white on walls was an example of white tile and all who submitted examples of different tiles other than plain white. Houzzers assisted in making a better color choice.
  • Robin H

@JennTay what did you end up deciding? I am going down the same road... thanks for posting those colors GE recommended. I am really fond of BM White Dove, so I may have to give up on the matte white appliances. I was all excited to have decided on it instead of stainless. I'm going for a softer, French cottage look and I prefer not to use stainless this time. i could go with a gray cabinet but it throws off what I was picturing in my head!

• Jenn Tay

Hi @Robin H and @dmccarthy! We just went and took our Pure White sample yesterday. It was too creamy next to the matte white. I couldn’t believe it! Ugh, huge disappointment is an understatement. i am sticking with the Pure White for my main wall color throughout because I love it and I do not have it in me to look at whites again. We are now looking at stainless (which I am not thrilled about even though they are beautiful). I also thought about switching the cabinet color to a grey and looked at those colors briefly, but same-that doesn’t go with the vibe I wanted. Introducing another metal makes the most sense. I feel like I failed-really wanted to find a solution to share. The Instagram filters make them all look beautiful but in reality it would drive me nuts for the two whites to clash so much.

• Robin H

Jenn, oh no! I'm bummed to hear that. But, am also so appreciative that you are posting about your experience. There was a real possibility I would have gone forward assuming the tones of white would work out okay. Back to the drawing board. My cottage is small and I really want to use BM OC-17 throughout. It's the current color so I know it works with the light. I was planning the same colors for walls and cabinets to keep it all light and bright. Here's a couple of before pics (note, this is not where new kitchen is going - there was actually no kitchen at all, just this temp one). I really love the matte white with bronze! Aaaaagh.

• Jenn Tay

@Robin H what a neat space! I love the idea of keeping it light and bright (which it is) and that is a great color. I know, I realllly loved those appliances and think they are so fun and different and was looking forward to the bronze accents. Good luck with your project, it will be beautiful I’m sure!

• jemimabean

I was so surprised by just how much of a cold blue-ish white the GE matte white appliances are. The GE color somehow manages to make even the most blinding bright white look creamy. It was super frustrating and given how popular colors like White Dove are, I’m surprised that GE isn’t leaning more that direction in color.

We were really hooked on the two toned look of the line, so we ended up going with the stainless and bronze handles and sticking with the stainless fridge that we have (and love). It’s not exactly what we were after, but I think that it will work best in our kitchen. Tomorrow is the last day of cabinet installation and then appliances are delivered Thursday but not installed til next Tuesday, so I’ll post photos once they’re in place.

Robin, that is such a cute cottage.

• Robin H

jemimabean Thanks! I'm looking forward to your photos. I agree that is a nice looking stainless stove and not as industrial as a Wolf or similar brand which I think would overwhelm my space.

• dmccarthy76

@Jenn Tay and @jemimabean I am with you both. I gave up on the matte white because I could not find anything that matched as far as paint. it's super disappointing because those matte white cafe appliances are what started my whole vision to redo this kitchen. Ive also considered doing the stainless with copper handles, but again, not what i had my heart set on and if I am making this investment, i want it all to come together the way i envisioned. i'm holding off from any deicisons for now but looking forward to seeing others kitchens come together! i'm holding out my hopes for it lol

• Jenn Tay

@dmccarthy76 Totally get it! They were what I had based my entire kitchen on too! I ran across one of your comments on a random Houzz post today while looking at kitchen ideas . The one where the guy answered the paint color as “white”. Super helpful. Haha. Anyways, I think we are going to go with GE Monogram stainless with the European style handles. Good luck with everything!

• Robin H

Jenn, I think the GE Monogram is also a super nice choice. Since my design plan was centered around all white, I continue my hunt. I had seen Ilve (too pricey) and Hallman (too new and iffy) early on but rejected them for those reasons. Plus, I couldn't see the Hallman in person, and I prefer a double oven like my Kitchenaid which I love but only comes in stainless and has the inelegant high back piece.

Well, that was a year ago. So, I revisited Hallman and came across a couple of good recent blogs with the range in antique white finish. Unbelievably (!!), all online ads and marketing info show Hallman's "antique white" as a deep tan yellow! NOT SO! It's actually apparently a soft creamy white. They also have a brighter white.

Now I realize this is a specific vintage look that may not work for all who considered the GE Cafe matte white. Very different style. It does for me but I was happy to go more contemporary IF the matte white finish worked. I am blending some vintage and modern elements in my 120 y.o. cottage when it makes sense to.

Anyway, I thought I would share this as I investigate what color the Hallman antique white really is! Haha. If I go this route, I will also get the extended warranty as this is a new product line and reviews are a little mixed on reliability (but there aren't enough to fully rely on them).

Here is one blog with the antique white Hallman that also links to another blog that has a lovely all white kitchen with the antique white range. In that case, she used a F&B paint color for cabinets with greyish undertone.

I'd like to see what paint colors the antique white more closely matches. Fingers crossed it will go with white dove as you know!! :-) I've contacted Hallman to see if I can get some accurate colors. I'd love the option of a custom color (they have hundreds) but I can't justify the extra $1500 and lead time. But oooh a soft blue gray would be pretty with my Pratt and Larson heron tile backsplash.

https://www.jessicabrigham.com/head-over-heels-for-my-hallman-range-the-ultimate-review/

• Christine Rizzo

SW Pure White is the closest I’ve seen.

• Linda Whitted

Try Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace before you give up!!

• kjente

I will be in the minority here, but we have a full stainless kitchen and HATE IT. you can not keep fingerprints from it. When you wipe it down it is always streak. The stainless is a veneer sheet, not stainless. We have Jenn Airand It came with the new construction. We are five years in and the fridge has had issues so I’m shopping. We’ll replace the dishwasher at the same time. We’ll see about the built in ovens.

idon’t remember the manufacturer, but in our previous home we used the color cafe Latte, a creamy white for trim.

• Linda Whitted

I’m doing my whole kitchen white. I used Benjamin Moore chantilly lace for the cabinets, MSI carerra Morro for the quartz counters, and ive ordered GE cafe matte white appliances - I will let you know how it looks

• macjj5

We were planning on doing Chantilly Lace also and would love to hear how it looks with the matte white GE Cafe appliances. Keep us posted.

• Linda Whitted

Just waiting for the floors to be installed so my appliances can be delivered...I have the microwave installed but the stainless handles are back ordered so it doesn't match the cabinet hardware yet...will post pics as soon as possible...I'm loving the matte white color...it isn't an exact match but it's not so different that it looks off..and I'm really picky. The Chantilly Lace cabinets are so perfect...just a true soft white with no yellow.

• Linda Whitted

PS I did Sherwin Williams Pure White on my bathroom cabinets, and it has a slight yellow to it, enough that it wouldn't have gone well with the matte white appliances so Chantilly is definitely the way to go.

• dmccarthy76

@lindawhitted thanks so much for the info. Excited to see your finished photos. Please do share!!!

• Vicki Cheairs

I am so thankful to have been reading up on all the color deliberations. Thanks to all who contribute. I chose the GE Cafe Matte White appliances in September and am now about 2-3 weeks from installation. I have never loss so much sleep over my decision to fight all the recent decorating trends of stainless appliances, gray walls, and white quartz. The posts referencing the effects the matte white appliance seems to have on white paint have been so beneficial. I am praying the experiences the rest of you have had may have helped me on the right solution. Not sure if Im right (will know in a few weeks), but here is what I learned from y'all.

All color studies were done in Sherwin Williams colors. Based on posts in here I learned the appliances were turning otherwise white cabinets either a cream/tan color or otherwise making cabinets look unclean up against the appliance. The I read where GE Cafe and the designer Gretchen Black both said the perfect match for the Matte White appliances was SW 6231 Rock Candy. I hired Sherwin Williams to take their device to a local store that had a Matte White stove and 6 different tests showed the perfect Sherwin Williams match was SW 6238 Icicle. Both Icicle and Rock Candy ARE Blue. On top of that my new cabinets will now go all the way to the ceiling so if I chose to paint my cabinets Rock Candy or Icicle and they meet a white ceiling, my cabinets are then going to Look blue. On top of that my house is filled with wood.. block paneling, crown molding, chair rails, high base boards...whatever color i paint those cabinets will end up flowing through the whole house...but I am just beyond over with the stainless appliances.

I painted white poster boards in Rock Candy, Icicle, 7005 Pure White and 7006 Extra White. While purchasing these colors at the store i learned that 7006 Extra White is the base white used before they add colors. I took all the poster boards to Best Buy with designer friend for opinion and it was unbelievable...the blue posters of Rock Candy and Icicle were a far better match than either of the whites. On that day I thought I too would throw in the towel and change order to Stainless...However, a couple of you had posted how the 7005 Pure White looked dirty up against the appliances.

Having just learned that 7006 Extra White was the base white they add color to, I decided to move the other way on the spectrum and look at 7007 Ceiling Bright White - which has a touch of indistinguishable blue. I promptly grabbed shelves which had been primed but not painted and painted them #7007 Ceiling Bright White, 7006 Extra White, 7005 Pure White and 6231 Rock Candy and headed to Best Buy to visit their Matte White Stove. Make no mistake, 6231 Rock Candy is a dead on match but I just couldnt do it. The 7005 Pure White looks cream colored next to the matte white, the 7006 Extra White looks better than the Pure White, but I do think the 7007 Ceiling Bright White just may be the answer for white cabinets.

Here is the best part, it turns out that Best Buy will take the appliances back upto 14 days after install and switch them out to stainless (if I must), so I now, not only think I may have solved my cabinet color issue but I also have a way to save myself if after they are installed I learn I blew it.

Thank you for all your posts - you certainly helped me. Hope the 7007 Ceiling Bright White cures the creamy tan in the 7005 Pure White and saves you from the heavy blue tones in 6231 Rock Candy. I'll post pics (if) when I ever finish the house.

• Rower 76

I have already purchased our matte white appliances. We are in the process of picking our perimeter cabinet color. Our cabinet maker uses Benjamin Moore paint. Here is a piece of the vent hood with BM samples. The Chantilly Lace and Oxford White have been recommended in this post. In my light the Oxford White (middle sample) looks a little too yellow. I’ve also included Wedding Veil (left). Chantilly lace is on the right.
    Thoughts? Has anyone used Wedding Veil with any success on their cabinets with the matte white appliances?

• Harry Doyle

Please do not rely on paint chips. Get samples and paint them on foam core or a plywood board. Especially not for something as important as your cabinet color. Walls can be repainted easily, cabinets, not so much.

• dmccarthy76

@ Vicki Cheairs thank you, thank you!!!11 I am still holding off on this. it's been MONTHS now and I can't pull the trigger on this remodel. I was just about sold on giving up on the white and doing stainless, but i can't do it. please do post an update once you had it. I did the same with the rock candy. painted a board, brought it to the store. nice match, but up against my crown molding throughout the kitchen and remainder of the house, it was blue. thanks for sharing all of your info!

• Linda Whitted

OK so my GE matte white appliances have finally been installed. I'm still waiting for the brushed stainless handles...but I wanted to share pics in case it helps anyone still deciding. I painted my cabinets BM Chantilly Lace. If you are needing the whites to match exactly...you might not be happy. I, however, LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I like the slight gray look, but I also used the marble backsplash that has whites and grays. Here are the pics.

They look different in different lighting throughout the day and such. But overall, the whites just all work together for the look I was hoping for. :)

• Linda Whitted

Also...here is a before and after just for fun

• Robin H

Linda, Thanks for posting your pics. It is so helpful to see real world photos and not just marketing inages. What a nice update to your kitchen!
    Your backsplash really ties the two whites together and it all looks great together. I agree that if you aren't going for an exact match to the matte white, it needs to be an obvious difference so it looks intentional. Your cabinet color looks warm but clean and not too yellow and there is just enough contrast with the matte white. Nice!

• dmccarthy76

Linda thanks for sharing! Love seeing the before and after.

• Brigid M

Looks beautiful, @Linda Whitted! What a change! Thanks for sharing...our appliances arrive 12/26; can’t wait to see how they look

• Meagan Sherwood

we are going with the matte white and decided to use a contrasting wood tone around the appliances and white for everything else. This will solve any issues of the white tones not matching up and will also make the appliances really pop. The photo here is just a rendering, but gives the general idea. We are using the same darker tone for the fridge enclosure as well.

• Meagan Sherwood

• Brigid M

This thread has been so helpful for us—wanted to share a photo of our appliances that arrived today

• Abby Dupre

@Brigid M I’m interesting in seeing your final photos — I don’t think it posted! I’m anxiously waiting completion of our new kitchen — Matte white appliances and SW Pure White parameter Cabinets. Hope I chose right!

• Brigid M

🤦🏼‍♀️ let me try again!

• Brigid M

Different view/lighting

• Linda Whitted

Gorgeous!!

• Lizzie Borden

Following

• Railey Burrage

Following

• Linda Whitted

I have a whole set of GE Cafe' copper handles if anyone would like them. They are $1150 new. I will sell them for a couple hundred. They came with my matte white appliances but I wanted stainless handles.

• vdanner

@Linda Whitted to fit what appliances? Thanks

• Linda Whitted

GE Cafe' dishwasher, microwave, slide in range with warming drawer 2 bars & knobs, french door fridge with freezer on the bottom (3 handles). They are all new in boxes. Let me know if you'd like a picture.

• mizzliz33

I too wanted the Cafe Matte White appliances but am about to give up and go back to stainless. The choice to do Cafe White has been driving all decisions of new cabinet colors and I'm about to give up and go back to stainless. Using either Shuler or Diamond cabinets. Thinking to try an off-white cabinetry with hopefully enough contrast against the Cafe Matte White appliances. Diamond makes a SW Agreeable Gray cabinet. Debating if that will provide enough contrast. I too am running to the appliance store with cabinet color samples. (Possibly blue/green vintage-look island)

• mizzliz33

Also found this photo in Houzz which shows the CAFE matte white with I believe SW Wordly gray

Fairmount 2019 (Lakeville, MN) · More Info

• Linda Whitted

I love the matte white finish SO much and I’m so glad I powered through. Do the whites match exactly? No... but they are beautiful and I never have prints on my appliances! I’ve had SO many compliments on the appliances. My advice is don’t overthink the paint - chantilly lace or extra white or pure white all work pretty well 💕

• davidswat114

@itsourcasa, i love your backsplash. can you tell me what you used?

• Abby Dupre

@Vicki Cheairs what color cabinets did you choose?

• itsourcasa

@davidswat114 any pictures I posted aren't my kitchen, I didn't end up with white appliances.