Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_581710163

New Dawn Placement

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The spot I’ve had picked out for my New Dawn is at the back of my property between a mimosa tree and an unused chicken coop. It’s NE facing. I’ve been watching the sunlight over the past week and it’s not going to get much. Definitely not any direct. With the shade of the super tall trees behind it plus the canopy from the mimosa, I would consider this full shade. It’s 2:00 now and its getting some dappled sunlight. I know New Dawn does great in shady spots but will I be shooting myself in the foot if I choose this spot?


(Pictures below)

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    I’d like to put the rose between the tree and the old chicken coop

  • 7 years ago

    It will face root competition from the tree, in addition to struggling with shade. I don't think any of us can predict whether or not it will work out there -- the best way to find out is to try it. Maybe giving it some sort of raised bed would help it along a bit, to give it some space that hasn't already been colonized entirely by the tree.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm a little doubtful about that location. Would it be possible to place it along the edge of the chicken coop and train it along the side of it! That looks like a sunnier aspect from what I can tell.

  • 7 years ago

    I love your chicken coop, Mrs. Gartin. A Hybrid Musk like Darlow's Enigma might handle shade better.

  • 7 years ago

    I was afraid that was going to be the general consensus, Ingrid. Shucks. Thanks sheila, are all hybrid musks super shade tolerant or just that one? I’d really like something with a tad more color, though enigma is very pretty :)

  • 7 years ago

    Not all hybrid masks but many. I would personally suggest gaenslen de fille gone. I'm sorry I'm on my phone I'm going to have to accept your computer to spell that right cuz unless you know what Rose it is you'll never understand that. Geez why do I bother sometimes? I hate hoes. Oh gosh that's even worse! Anyway when I get to computer I'll type in the proper name because it's a great Rose for shade and while it may not bloom all summer long my spring Bloom this year was fantastic for basically first-year Rose.

  • 7 years ago

    I have a pink HM "Andenken an Alma de l'Aigle" from Antique Rose Emporium which would look pretty.


    The HM group has a lot of beauties.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, Sheila, that Rose is beautiful! I didn't realize it was a hybrid must and I'll have to consider it for next year. I cringe to think what my voice recognition would have done with that name! Lol! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    You got it right!

  • 7 years ago

    It's fine. Nobody likes hoes. lolol

  • 7 years ago

    If you can get your hands on either the species field rose, r.arvensis or any of it's hybrids (Bennets Seedling and most especially Ayreshire Splendens), these are, by a million miles, the very best roses for deepest shade. Certainly, they flower with unbridled vigour, even in the green depths of a poplar wood. Although only once blooming, everything, from the beautiful deep vinous bloom on the limber canes, to the ever clean foliage, the raspberry ripple blooms, tender fragrance and delightful heps is an absolute winner for a wild and shady grove Just coming into bloom in front of the half-size caravan we made for grand-daughter

  • 7 years ago

    I agree (1) won't know until you try! but (2) that unless there's a good long shot of sun morning or evening, shade probably will be a problem. When I had my monster New Dawn, she definitely ran away from the shade from my dogwood. She'd throw a tentacle into the shade (probably planning/wishfully thinking the dogwood would die) and that would bloom a little but it was obviously being fed by the foliage in full sun. Once she picked up speed, I was glad something was stopping her :)


    I have a Darlow's growing in mostly shade now (it gets some dappled sun in the morning but that's it) and after settling in for a year, it's taking off. FWIW, I almost killed a Lyda rose in that same spot, the shade was not tolerable to her. To continue to sell you on Darlow's: it's scented, free-blooming, its open flower shape makes it easy for bees/bugs to get pollen from it, it makes hips, has healthy foliage here. Also thorny as heck but that helps with climbing. Yeah, it's white, ho hum!, but I'm learning to appreciate white on green and also, the white gives the illusion of sunlight streaming through the tree. You culd add some color to the scene by planting shade lovers at its feet. Do Heucheras grow well in your area? It seems they make those things in every color now.