0
fellen

Really stuck & frustrated on MBath layout design

fellen
last modified: June 12, 2019

We are working with a builder who has years of very successful home designs - I fell in love with one and we needed some "minor" changes - husband wanted bigger TV+FP wall - so that ended up altering entrance to Mstr Suite - I did not want Mstr closets at the end of bathroom and did not want a toilet that was not open or near a window - this is where we are now and I am frustrated b/c this newest plan has the BR door opening right up against the sinks? I am ready to shoot myself....ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS are welcome and appreciated!!! Color schematic is the original design layout

• AJCN

I agree this is a very strange layout. I'm not a pro, but from what I have read and heard, most people don't like barn doors in the bed/bath area. They seem to be a better fit when used in an area where it is going to stay open almost all the time, rather than in an area where the door would be opened and closed multiple times a day.

My closets are situtated in the way that you said you do not want -- attached to the bathroom, so you have to enter the bath to get to the closet. I actually like this set-up because we get up and get ready for work at different times. I can shower and get completely ready for work without waking up DH and visa versa. If the closets opened into the bedroom, or were right next to the bedroom, I think I'd here him opening and closing the drawers and such.

What is the area at the upper right in your drawing, with the door, and then what looks like a linen closet. Is that all it is - a linen closet? Why does it need it's own door? Is that area open to the adjacent room. If so, why?

The long hallway between the closets bothers me.

I don't see on your drawing what the width of the bathroom is.

A 4 x 8 shower is very large and could be quite cold unless you are planning for it to be a steam shower. Ours is 4 x 6 and the glass goes all the way to the ceiling, so it is closed up and gets steamy. Even with all that, it can be cold sometimes in the winter.

Can you post the whole floor plan so we can see adjacent spaces?

fellen thanked AJCN
  • fellen

hmm - have to see how I could do that - the plans are on large paper.....