Software
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_luh75

Small door for a closet

7 years ago

Hello! I asked my contractor to create a small custom door on a hinge for the open part of my closet here (I currently have a dresser there).


He told me it wasn’t possible (or was very expensive).


I’ve seen small unframed doors on hinges in Europe. Is there a way to enclose this space? Do we have to redo the entire doorframe to put a door here?


Of course, my other option to just combine it all into one big closet and buy a custom sized door, but I’m wondering if anyone here has had this problem, and found a creative solution. Thank you in advance!



Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Your contractor is a dodo...one solution is literally right in front of him.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    What do you mean by that? He said he couldnt put a closet door here, I think, bc it it is a custom size, and needs to be framed out. I used the bifold doors on the other half of the closet bc the other half could take standard sized doors. Maybe I didn’t use the right terminology when I askEd him.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    How wide is the open part of your closet?

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you - the width is about 19.5". I originally had a full large closet of 94.5", but couldn't find a standard sized door for it, and preferred bifold doors to sliding doors, so ended up breaking the closet into a standard 72" closet, and a 19.5" opening. I now regret that I didn't just keep the entire closet open and buy a custom 94.5" door. Let me know if you have other ideas to enclose the space. Thank you!

  • 7 years ago

    You could use curtains for all the closets.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Buy a matching bi-fold door and use 1 of the leaves. It may need to be cut down width wise, but that's easy enough to do.

  • 7 years ago

    thank you -- My contractor told me he couldn't place a hinge to hold the door. Do you think it is possible to put a hinge on the side for the door to swing open?

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you! This makes complete sense. I kept wondering what I was missing when I asked if we could put a door on that separate area. He’s an old school contractor, and I think he does more standard stuff.

  • 7 years ago

    Since you’re obviously trying to keep this project low-cost AND you have a sketchy contractor (I’m not a contractor and I immediately thought to do what PPF. advised in his first post, hence the comment I made about a solution literally being right in front of him!), you might just want to install floor to ceiling adjustable wooden shelving. Depending on your storage needs (what are they, btw—is this a master bedroom? Single or double occupancy?), you could put your stuff in pretty baskets or canvas totes.

    margaret_luh75 thanked Sammy
  • 7 years ago

    That’s a great idea. it’s a master bedroom closet in a rental property. I’m trying to give some flexibility to the tenant for hanging space or shelves, which is why I’d like it to be enclosed. Probably will also look nicer after I enclose it.

  • 4 years ago

    What did you end of up doing? Do you have photo of the result?