Software
Houzz Logo Print
dragonru

Please help me to choose tile for the kitchen

7 years ago

Which porcelain tile looks better with my granite and cabinet?


Dark taupe



Light grey



Medium Brown?



Any suggestions?


Thank you.

Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I like the first one best, because it's a more solid color (from what I can tell).

    Personally I'd go for a wood look tile, as I don't like two similar patterns together.

    dragonru thanked rinked
  • 7 years ago

    dark taupe


    dragonru thanked Melissa R
  • 7 years ago

    Medium brown

    dragonru thanked herbflavor
  • 7 years ago

    I like the dark taupe or medium brown with your other choices, but you also need to consider what flooring will be connected to this room. The kitchen needs to flow with the rest of the house.

    dragonru thanked calidesign
  • 7 years ago

    The last tiles are 18 x 36. Kitchen is opens to the hallway with the red oak floor. I do like taupe and medium brown next to the hardwood and the granite. I am a bit worried if brown earthy colors are considered "dated".

  • 7 years ago

    Brown by itself isn't dated. Choose the color you like the most.

    dragonru thanked calidesign
  • 7 years ago

    the last tiles remind me of a nice basalt or black slate. (charcoal/brown tones). not dated.

    dragonru thanked Beth H. :
  • 7 years ago

    The last, medium brown, is my favorite, with the dark taupe in 2nd place. The light gray looks boring and institutional.

    dragonru thanked cawaps
  • 7 years ago

    Oh boy. I think they're all pretty. What color is the red oak stained? Maybe post a pic of that.

    dragonru thanked MT Castillo
  • 7 years ago

    Adjacent red oak floor




  • 7 years ago

    Did you bring the tiles to your house and place them next to your red oak floor? Do that first, take photos and then post those here.

    Don't make a big decision in a vacuum!

    dragonru thanked chispa
  • 7 years ago

    What chispa said. You need to place it next to the wood.

    Right now the two browns look better than the gray. And no brown isn't out of style but gray will be within the next 2-4 years.

    dragonru thanked cpartist
  • 7 years ago

    We installed 12 x 24 tiles, and our tile guy said to not do a “running bond” brick-type layout, which would be offsetting by a half tile. Instead he said that offsetting rows by 1/3 of a tile made for a more stable floor and a better pattern. We love the look.

    Not sure if that’s also true for your larger 18 x 36” tiles, but something to work out with your tiler ahead of time...

    dragonru thanked chloe00s
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, that is the standard for large format tiles, to minimize the effect of lippage. Wider grout lines also minimize this effect.

    dragonru thanked MT Castillo
  • 7 years ago

    following

    dragonru thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • 7 years ago

    Last pic is lovely

    dragonru thanked Irene Morresey
  • 7 years ago

    I like them all, but the last picture is best to me.

    dragonru thanked heather3794
  • 7 years ago

    I like your cab/granite/floor combo, but not next to your red oak flooring.


    Can you run red oak in your kitchen? I would only use wood floors in my kitchen...so comfy underfoot. And the space will be more cohesive. Then you can do the white or wood cabs but a more with a more simple, solid surface counter.


    Perhaps post some pics of the space, and be sure to put samples down next to your floor.

    dragonru thanked Laura Mac
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I agree I am not sure about any of them with the wood floor I think the wood floor would be great to run into the kitchenbut for sure bring home samples and take pictures beside the red oak. I like the look of one floor material in all the living spaces.

    dragonru thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 years ago

    I like th least one, med brown best.

    dragonru thanked lulu
  • 7 years ago

    The last one!

    dragonru thanked lulu