Software
Houzz Logo Print
pipthepiper

Lacanche range moving advice

7 years ago

Hello All,

I’m soon to be the proud owner of a large lacanche range. I’ve been watching the YouTube video on how to move them off the shipping pallet and they make it look easy peasy with the forearm forklift straps. I’m not entirely convinced. My range is about 800 lbs and I have to get it up a 4 foot stoop then it’s basically in the house. Anybody out there have any advice/tips/trouble?

Comments (6)

  • 7 years ago

    The advice is to hire professional movers. It might cost you a few hundred dollars, but it is so worth it. Much lower risk to damaging your house and your new stove. But even more importantly, much lower risk to damaging your own health.


    I have seen professionals move heavy items of furniture, and every single time I was glad I paid somebody else to do this. I have moved a few heavier and bulkier objects myself. And it took me hours to do what a professional would do in 20min. Not worth it at all.


    Also, movers might have specialized tools that you don't have. There are some fancy dollies that can climb stairs and that can make quite the difference -- if you know how to use them.


    The only tricky bit is that some movers might consider this too small of a job to be worth their while. So, you might have to call around a bit and you might have to be very flexible with your schedule. Sometimes, they can squeeze you in at the end of the day, if they finished unexpectedly early on another project in the area.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Not DIYable in the least. I know someone who hired a wrecker to move theirs from one house to the other. Used a low profile jack to get it up in the air a bit, then used steel bars as mini wheels to roll it until they got it out of the garage and into the drive for the wrecker to hoist. But they had expertise in heavy equipment handling and rigging. It would be very easy to lose a limb or a life if it got away.

  • 7 years ago

    Not sure this will help since it wasn't a stove I had to move but.... I had a kiln one part weighing 1300 lbs and another part weighing 800 lbs. They were very heave and VERY fragile. It was my responsibility to have a forklift ready to remove it from the Semi WHEN it arrives. Right, I have a forklift ft just sitting around.

    It was unbelievably stressful just to find someone that I felt was capable. I finally found a moving company with a manager who was smart and figured out how to do it. First he I had him receive it at his moving and storage place.....that was the easy part as they had a fork lift available in the warehouse

    Now to get it to my house off their 20' truck into my garage then into my kiln room. I seriously doubt anyone will do your job for 200 bucks but if they do good for you. I bought extra insurance as moving companies pay .60 cents per lb. not going to cover a 20K kiln if it's damaged. There were 5 men with the manager literally giving directions and working with his crew.. once they got it off the truck they had two pallet jacks to move it around as it had to be lifted equally from all sides. There were some very tense moments but they got the job done and there were no steps involved. It was not a 20 minute job by any means

    Anything is doable the question is will you find someone and will they do it right. The cost is secondary. If they do it for 2 or three hundred I would give them a huge tip.


    Good luck.


    Inga

  • 7 years ago

    I own a Lacanche Chagney 1400. I had my range put in my garage until the kitchen was ready. We uncrated the range, it came with the doors off, grates off, traditional top off (these are very heavy). 2 of my kitchen contractors used the foreman forklift straps, and yes there were steps they had to come up. Once in the kitchen they used the airsled to move it into the space between cabinets. It is amazing but very doable.

    You might be able to get the delivery truck to lift it onto the porch. The company that delivered mine was great and so very nice.

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Bonjour pipthepiper !


    Where are you located? Let us know if we can connect you with our support department who has excellent tips regarding this very issue. I'm reachable directly at blair@frenchranges.com, and I'll be glad to put you the right hands.

    Merci et welcome to the family.


    Lacanche US