Software
Houzz Logo Print
krista_5ny

June roses and flowers

7 years ago

June is my favorite month in the garden. The garden smells like Damask and other rose scents. The doves coo in the morning, a peaceful sound...

Eglantyne





Memorial Day



The Wedgewood Rose


Duchesse de Rohan





I like to sit on the front porch and watch thunderstorms. When a strong wind blows rain onto the porch I can pretend it's Niagara Falls, LOL.

The groundcover in front is cranesbill Biokovo.



Pansies



Dianthus



Mme Pierre Oger




Lavender Lassie



Gertrude Jekyll





Evelyn




Stanwell Perpetual



Reine des Violettes






Comments (53)

  • 7 years ago

    So many pinks I love them all!!

    Krista_5NY thanked pippacovalent
  • 7 years ago

    Just dreamy, Krista! I love how all your pinks are distinctive, yet complimentary! We really need to press Houzz for that scent upload feature. :-)

    Krista_5NY thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful blooms Krista!

    Krista_5NY thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oh my gosh, Krista, this is your most beautiful post yet! I can't write much because I'm busy scrolling through all these gorgeous rose pictures.

    Eglantyne and The Wedgewood Rose are so dreamy, and Reine de Violettes and Stanwell Perpetual likewise so, as are they all, but there are always some roses that are especially enticing. Your home is so charming; I love the older homes that have so much personality, but my fate is to live in a 1980's ranchburger. Thank you for all these gorgeous roses.

    Krista_5NY thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Love Mme Pierre Oger

    Krista_5NY thanked lynne CA Zone 9B
  • 7 years ago

    Lovely blooms, Krista, and the porch looks very welcoming. I miss my Memorial Dat.

    Krista_5NY thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • 7 years ago

    So beautiful and such a pretty setting for them! Don't be shy about posting more! I love seeing them. : ))

    Krista_5NY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you.

    The house is one hundred years old. I was drawn to the details of the woodwork in the interior and exterior of the house. The porch is a relaxing place to spend time...

    Marlorena, the Biokovo has been excellent. It's over 15 years old, very hardy and reliable. I will look up Hillary Rendell, that cranesbill is new to me...

    Eglantyne


    Marchesa Boccella



    The Mayflower


    Gertrude Jekyll


    Coquette des Blanches

    Duchesse de Rohan










  • 7 years ago

    You have a lovely collection of roses Krista and your home is really charming! I'm sure your garden is wonderfully fragrant!

    Ann

    Krista_5NY thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • 7 years ago

    Krista, love all the pinks. Wishing I can smell duchess of Rohan . Great collection !!

    Your home is beautiful. It is Craftsman style , right ?
    Well, I wanted to write earlier but decided to take a nap by then you already answered. 100 years old, that is full of history.

    Well, throw in another rocking chair and I don't mind joining you at Niagara falls :)

    jin

    Krista_5NY thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    You have a beautiful home, surrounded by beautiful roses (and other plants)!

    Marchesa Boccella keeps pulling me back...so pretty

    Krista_5NY thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you.

    Jin, it's a small house but not Craftsman or bungalow. It's a two story, and I think the style is most similar to an American Colonial.

    You are welcome to visit, and if it's windy and rainy enough, one can get a bit of the Niagara Falls experience. :)

    The upstairs bedrooms have the original doors and doorknobs. The metal has aged with a patina. The keys are long gone that would fit into the keyholes. I have found antique hairpins in the attic, makes me wonder about the people who lived here long ago...

    This is a view of the dining room.

  • 7 years ago

    I love the additional roses you posted, Krista. I can't wait for my young Coquette des Blanches to bloom. I always think of you as the queen of pink roses here; you have such a wonderful collection.

    Your dining room is beautiful, and those inset, glass-fronted cupboards are exquisite. What I wouldn't give for those to house some of my Chinese porcelain. So much more elegant than anything I have. Does your living room have a fireplace? Would love to see that too, and the bedrooms, if that isn't being too nosy.

    Krista_5NY thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Krista, your dining room is gorgeous. I don't know why I did not think of colonial style. I love old house Bec of history .
    Ingrid is so right about the cabinets and all. They look exquisite.
    I would love to own colonial, Victorian or any old historical old house .

    jin

    Krista_5NY thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Love them all, especially MPO.

    Krista_5NY thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. The history of old homes is interesting. I like the Victorian style homes, as well. There are a number of American Queen Anne style homes in the area, they are beautifully painted.

    Ingrid, I don't have a fireplace. The chimney was used to vent the furnace. Now, I have a high efficiency furnace that vents through a plastic pipe in the wall. The chimney has been sealed at the roof. (natural gas furnace) Some of the chimney bricks can be viewed in the kitchen, part of the styling of the wall.

    My interior decorating style is rather simple... The fabric has roses in the pattern. It's not possible to tell from this photo, but when I had the paint for the walls custom tinted, a tiny amount of pink was added to the paint. The molding is all white.


    This small dresser is made of pine. I like the many knob handles on it.

    The carpet is rose colored in this room.


    Bedroom doorknob, I don't know what kind of metal it is... it looks really worn from all the years of use...

    I like pottery... one of my favorite objets d'art is this treasure chest set. I acquired it while on vacation in Bar Harbor, Maine. The lids can be removed, so tiny objects could be stored in it...


  • 7 years ago

    You nailed it, Marlorena. I find classic homes so comforting.

    Krista_5NY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Krista, that's the beauty of being simple . It has elegance and style of simplicity which is always be in style around the world. Even the smart homes are simple decorations but very beautiful.
    I absolutely love it. It seems as if you are trying to hold time. You are matching cabinets, knobs and all for being antique. That is so cool. Love the pottery too from Maine. Have you ever been to Mackinac island ? If you haven't..you need to Bec you feel as if you are back in time. Beautiful !!
    jin

    Krista_5NY thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena and Vap beat me to the post...lol.
    Yup, Marlorena nail it !! Totally agree with Vap!
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you.

    Marlorena, that's interesting that you mention Austen. The furniture style is circa 1800 or thereabouts. The English styles are similar.

    I wanted a dining room set that I could be happy with forever. I like the old fashioned styles.

    Jin, I haven't been to Mackinac Island, but it's on my travel wish list. I love the photos I've seen of it.

  • 7 years ago

    Krista - that doorknob is so cool! I love original things that have stood the test of time - it's so cliche to say, but they just don't build things to last anymore.

    Krista_5NY thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks Cyndita. It's nice to have the original doorknobs still in place. The construction of the house is sturdy. The wooden support posts and beams are substantial.

    I appreciate the workmanship of the old homes, built to last for decades or centuries...


  • 7 years ago

    Krista, I love all your pink roses. That’s my favourite rose colour as well and we have some of the same - Mayflower and Gertrude Jekyll - but yours look so healthy and robust. What is your secret?

    Krista_5NY thanked edenchild
  • 7 years ago

    My younger sister owns a old historical colonial house in Singapore. Some if us called it Peranakan house but the upkeep is super expensive. You cannot change anything for example the roofing. It has to be same exact times and they are handmade. It is very hard to find companies in Singapore that does workmanship of those styles.
    I have seen her house outside but because bit was rented out for years . I have never been inside at all. She lives in a modern bungalow. Just a few days ago, she was so frustrated Bec one of the workers broke a panel of window. Just to replaced a panel is total stressful. Can't find stuff like that on Google but go individual places to inquire and match the glass. If she can't find it then she has to go neighbouring country that is Malaysia. Maybe small places that do work like that . ( hopefully )
    Singapore is very strick and she has to comply the laws if not she faces hefty fines. She just went through fire inspection and electrical. All the old houses has to follow Bec of preservation of historical value.
    Krista, you have to Google colonial houses on Google. They are very different and unique.

    I have not seen the movie call "Crazy Rich Asian" but they sure shows a lot of colonial style houses when I saw the trailer.

    jin
    P. S. I think I wrote this a few times but deleted it. I almost got a Victorian house in Titusville, FL many years ago when I just got married and could not get the finance. It was vacant for at least 10 yrs and the owners ( new) took more than 5 yrs to restore it. It looks beautiful as I imagine. We still swing by it whenever we go there. It is the only Victorian house here in Orlando and Titusville.

  • 7 years ago

    Correction : same times is actually same tiles. Really hate my phone. Yikes !!
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Krista, your interiors are lovely, and I see that the rose theme is repeated inside on your couch! The inside and outside of your home, and the garden, all complement each other beautifully. It's been a privilege to see it all.

    Krista_5NY thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Edenchild, thank you. I use organic fertilizers and topdressings. I think tending the soil helps the roses to thrive. The soil is friable. I don't spray, and they get blackspot and defoliate in summer.

    Jin, the Peranakan houses are gorgeous, I like the beautiful colors. The colors remind me of homes in Florida. A contractor once told me that "old houses are full of surprises." It does take knowledge and skill to maintain old homes, and preserve their character.

    I like to see the Victorian homes in the neighborhood, exterior and interior. There are many Queen Anne homes along the river, beautifully painted with historic colors.

    Thank you, Ingrid. My love of antique roses is intertwined with an interest in history and historic architecture. When I was looking at fabric swatches for the couch, once I saw the rose pattern I knew it was the fabric that should be selected...


  • 7 years ago

    That does sound very challenging for your sister, Jin. One would need to be very wealthy to handle all those requirements.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, Jin, I looked them up...the houses in Singapore are gorgeous! I hate that it’s so expensive to maintain them. I’ve read that many English estates are falling apart because they’ve become too expensive to maintain. It’s sad to lose such significant architecture.

    When we lived in SoCal, our very first home purchase was an 1850s Greek Revival. It needed everything. We were young and eager, and needless to say, naive. I remember taking out some of the original widows to scrape down all the layers of paint, and we got “cease and desist” letter from the city, threatening fines if we were changing the windows without a permit. Everything required a permit, and every permit was $200-400, and that was 20 years ago!

    This was my first experience with OGRs; a neighbor down the street had a yellow Lady Banks, and I was so taken with that rose. It was the first one I planted there. When I look at photos of the house now, the LB is still there. That makes me really happy. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Perma, I would be so ignorant to think that was federal or southern styles until I read about the entrance structure.
    They are very beautiful as I already love the farmhouse Greek Revival...haha. Well, I am happy with what I have.
    Permits here and there. I have to get a permit to change my front door. Front door are so expensive as I told you in my emails. It's not that I am putting a new entry door but replacing an old one. I think it is worst now. It is nice to have a family member who a handyman but time changes.
    This is funny and I think I told you or Vap. Not sure who unless it is Lisa. This happens to one of the members in my rose society. An oak tree fell uprooted in a storm into her pool. It was sitting there for a month. She was so upset looking at it then it turns by just thinking. She paid cash money and did not bother the insurance Bec of the deductible plus they will jack up the prices. Then the contractors were expensive and charging her for removal of stump. What stump ? The tree is all out. Then to make things worst, she needs to get a permit for removal. It mount up to a lot esp if you are a school teacher. They all know how to choke you. But in the end she has to pay permit and find a contractor who will charged her stump removal cost.
    What if a historical house belongs to you that is pass down for generations . I surely don't want to be in that boat and hoping to have money to pay.

    I don't think I will ever own a colonial house or farmhouse. It is a dream and a good dream. Have you ever seen a log house in FL. It is really, really expensive. You don't want me to tell you about their insurance here but it is finally paid off. So, they stop insurance and put the money aside for emergencies for the house which is a very smart moved.

  • 7 years ago

    A few more......
    I have never seen a log house here ever definitely not in Central or South Fl. It is very rare. Think the have to spray it every 3 years and chinking every 4 something like that more than in Northern Bec if our rain and bugs ( termites)
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    I love it, Jin. I'm not used to seeing a log home in Florida!

  • 7 years ago

    I didn't think I was a fan of log houses, but this one is really nice, both inside and out. It has such a feeling of coziness and warmth.

  • 7 years ago

    It is very , very rare in FL. I have never been inside a log home ever. Very warm feeling, very spacious.
    I have never been in a colonial, Greek, Southern homes but I bet the feeling must be wonderful.

    Krista , have you ever did the history of your home ?

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    ..is that your property Jin, in the first pictures? I'm a bit confused... I like the kitchen and lounge area... aren't those logs huge !..

  • 7 years ago

    From gorgeous roses to gorgeous homes. I don’t know where to look first. I too especially love that picture of the door knob. Simple and beautiful. We once found a whole small wooden box full of old door knobs at a garage sale in front of an old house. There were many more antique objects, it looked like the new owners, a bunch of students by the looks of it, were getting rid of all the old “garbage”, and making the inside convenient, modern and horrible. We just admired them for a number of years, but in the end we sold them to someone who restores old homes. Our house is from the eighties, and lacks any character. Those door knobs there would be like a flag on a mud barge, as we say in Dutch. Now they would find good homes.

    Krista_5NY thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Gdinie. Even the small details such as doorknobs can be interesting in an old home.

    Jin, that's a beautiful log house, amazing woodwork and stone fireplace. Nice kitchen as well...

    I haven't done a lot of research on the house. I think it was part of the expansion of the village after WW I. It would be interesting to learn more about it...


  • 7 years ago

    Krista, I finally got a moment to write how much I've been in awe with your roses, garden, and the house. Both the exterior and interior are gorgeous. Preserving history is a passion I share with you, and undoubtedly with most on this forum, but I haven't even thought about some details such as a door knob. Yours is exquisite and I've just checked mine, I think they are probably original. Your dining room is very much evocative of the period when the house was built. Your roses, as always, are gorgeous. So many wonderful pink and other shades and splendid flower forms.

    Krista_5NY thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • 7 years ago

    Gdin, that is so sweet of you to give away treasures like that which I am sure will be in good use.
    Krista that is wonderful from WW1. Perhaps one day, you might get that information. I can imagine your place with all pink roses. Must be very attractive and inviting. Do you have any climbers ? Bec I think it brings more character matching with your house ? Maybe it is just me. I feel like old castles in Italy, France or England always have some rose climbers. They go hand in hand. Hard to describe what I meant but I hope you understand.

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Vesfl. I like rose themed décor throughout the house. I'm very attached to the house, and the rose garden is such an important part of my life.

    Jin, I don't have any climbers. My tallest roses are about 6 feet tall. I've been growing roses for more than 25 years, but have never trained a rose on an arch or tall trellis. I like climbers, but with space constraints did not allocate space for one, yet...

    Climbers are beautiful roses, and awe- inspiring to see so many blooms on one rose plant.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Krista, where you need climbers is at the sides of your porch on wooden. trellises. Somewhere I've bookmarked what I'm talking about, but they are made to correspond with the house and were very common on this style house. It seems all the homes had climbers on the porches at one time. Actually pillars and climbers are a great way to fit in more roses! My BF just got a similar , but smaller bungalow and I think I have him talked into doing the same. He's a carpenter so can make anything I design. He already has some roses he's going to transplant and I have some rooted cutting that he can have also. I'll post pics when it's done, but it may not be until next year. We'll see.

    Krista_5NY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Vapor; some roses on your porch would be lovely! Your garden and your home are both such beautiful, tasteful spaces. Great job! :-)

    Krista_5NY thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Krista, my suggestion was by no means a critique, btw!!! Your home and garden is awesome!!! ))

    Krista_5NY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Vap, I was trying to explain but you said it way better. No pressure , Krista. Like you said you been growing roses for many years. I just thought you did already had climbers but wasn't sure. That's all. As long as you are happy and that counts the most.
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    100 % agree with Perma.

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Vapor, for the info on climbing structures. The pics would be interesting to see.

    I have a few roses around the porch, they are compact... one would never guess that one is Mme Alfred Carriere. It's to the right of Reine Victoria. It's about 5 feet tall, or a little shorter this year.

    Mme Pierre Oger on the western side of the porch





  • 7 years ago

    MPO is outstanding!

    Krista_5NY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    MPO is mouth dropping gorgeous. Whoa !!
    Now, I have to Google more about that rose. They look so perfect and happy.
    Can't wait to see your other roses. Krista, you have great collection. Whoever nickname you Queen is correct.
    Your photography is great. Absolutely love them :)
    Thanks !
    jin

    Krista_5NY thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you.

    The camera I use is 11 years old, so when it comes to electronics, I like antiques as well... :)