Software
Houzz Logo Print
katie_key63

What should I do??

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Help! Please. My house is a new build, but I hate the landscaping. The tree blocks the window so I’d like to move it to the side of the house. The front lawn looks small, so I’d like to open it up to appear more prominent. Any tips? The plants look randomly placed. I'm considering putting the plants along the driveway in a symmetrical manner. Thanks for your help!
Attached is a photo of the house that has a side gate and no sidewalk yet to the side. Along with a photo of the plants, I'm thinking about changing out to something a bit more modern.



Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    That looks like poorly planned xeriscape on one side, can’t see the lawn you are referring to. Another photo from the opposite side of the street would give a more complete picture of your lot and house. Please tell us what region you are in also.

  • 7 years ago

    Is this the front or back of the house? I don't see how to get to that door.


    There doesn't appear to be much room in between the houses. Do you know what kind of tree it is and what the mature size will be?

    Katie Key thanked User
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Where is your front door? I see no lawn . Where do you live? I don’t think you have space for the tree at the side.I guess you could change the plants along the driveway

  • 7 years ago

    It's desert landscaping. I live in Vegas. The door is right by the garage door, but from this view, you can't see it, which is why I want to move the tree to the side.

  • 7 years ago

    Its a palo verde tree I just had trimmed today.

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    Looks like you share the "lawn" with the neighbor. Maybe you can work together to install a more coordinated and balanced xeriscape.

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    Side view that isn't landscaped but not concerned with right now. Just to give you an idea of the space I'm talking about on the side beyond the gate. Its not a shared yard. Lots are small.

  • 7 years ago




  • 7 years ago

    Used a red marker to show the boundaries of the front.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Are you saying you think the tree obscures your entrance? Are visitors having difficulty finding you? Or is it the view from the window? From the room inside what is it that you will be looking at if you move the tree away? If it's a park, great, but if it's just cars, asphalt and similar houses....you could give the tree a year to establish itself and then prune up the branches in the winter an allow it to send next year's new growth up to the canopy, and get a bit of dappled relief from the sun on that window. As for a touch of modern privacy, and if the neighborhood association allows, you might consider a medium height natural stained horizontal board fence that runs across the front, and turns flanking the entrance walk.

    Katie Key thanked msmliss
  • 7 years ago

    I am not a professional so I will just tell you what I would change. It is too late now so you can plan what you want to do in fall.

    I don't usually like straight lines and alternating plant species. I see you have some low shrub or perennial. I would move them to the foundation area. If they are a plant that can grow big then I would put them to the right of the drive instead.

    I would move the spiky plants to the left of the yard. Staggered plantings look more natural.

    I would only plant low creeping plants near the edges of the garden, at the steps and bordering the sidewalk.

    My concern with the tree is that when it matures visitors will have to duck under it as they approach the house. Distance is misleading in photographs so perhaps it is not that close to the steps. If the house faces east or north I might just get rid of the tree.

    i would plant nothing in the narrow bed to the right of the steps. In fact, if possible I would replace those stones with gray stones. It is just poor design in my amateur opinion.

    How do you plan to water the plants?


    Katie Key thanked emmarene9