Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandgradenerct

Need bedding suggestions

I redid this room last year, turning my son's childhood room into a guest room that he and is girlfriend can use when they visit. It is a very small room so I used a double bed. I was going for a British colonial look. I hate the bedding, I used some orange, because I thought it would look less feminine and I had a chair I like covered in a orange and gold fabric. I can ditch the chair. The other furniture is staying. I will figure out the curtains after I am happy with the bedding.

Comments (46)

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

here is one more picture

• HU-991998929
    4 years ago

What are the measurements of the room?

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

10x11

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have no idea how old you son is but that looks like an old ladies bedroom so maybe start with some new bedding and a new wall color that is more modern in maybe blues and green get drapes that match the color in the bedding make them to the floor and then think about different art , remove the dresser and the chair there is no room for either in the space. A fold out luggage rack that can be stored in the closet and some shelves in the closet for clothing but keep some hanging space.

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

He is in his mid twenties. I agree about the old ladies room! There is not a snowball's chance in hell of my husband agreeing to paint the room. The chair will go, the dresser will stay. We only have one bathroom in the house an it is need for a guest to do hair, makeup etc. I like the Idea of blues and greens. How do I do pillows on a bed with such a low headboard?

• User
    4 years ago

Have you thought of adding a sheer canopy above the bed, add longer drapes.

• Helen
    4 years ago

I don't think you need to decorate a guest room for a guest's taste - even a son.

Decorate it according to your own taste and make sure that it is comfortable - i.e. lighting, mattress; appropriate bedding for temperatures - that is what matters.

Your current decor seems a bit bleak in terms of bedding though - There are so many lovely bedding choices which would liven up the room.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

If you want to build on what you have, add a colorful throw and euro shams in the same color to the neutral bedding.

Teenage bedroom · More Info

Teenage bedroom · More Info

• Lorrie H
    4 years ago

I suggest change the art (something larger and rectangular) above the bed, new lampshades, and curtains that go to the floor.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

I'm sorry, you did say you wanted British Colonial. How about this? Add blue and dark carved wood decor items. A floor palm plant.

BRITISH COLONIAL BEDROOM MAKEOVER · More Info

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I have sone some "window Shopping" Here are somethings that I liked

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

There are some decorating principles that would help you out. First, art should hang centered 5' above the floor, or be 5" above a piece of furniture. Chunky tables require chunky lamps. Drapes should hang from just below the ceiling or crown and barely kiss the floor. Is the bed simply a metal frame with the headboard attached? If there is more to the headboard that is hidden behind the mattress, consider detaching it from the bed frame raising it up with some wood pieces or even attaching it to the wall so it has more presence. You could even paint it black. Here are some linens that have established a BC theme. Mosquite netting helps set that feeling too.

Nantucket in So Cal · More Info

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

British Colonial Design Ideas · More Info

British Colonial Master Bedroom · More Info

• njmomma
    4 years ago

If the walls are cream, get a great cream colored bedding set (if the walls are white, get a white bedding set) and build on that. You can add any color with a throw blanket and pillows on cream.

Start by taking down the art on the walls, and all the little trinkets n the room. Give yourself a blank slate. I actually love the chair, but if you want to replace it, buy it last so you know what colors you are dealing with.

Do you have an area rug on the floor? Do you need one?

The drapes can match the walls and bedding. Keep it simple. Add blinds.

Then start adding stuff back. Or buy new accessories that are light in color, but just a few. Less is more.

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

If your husband doesn't want to paint the room, why don't you do it?

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

momma my walls are BM Jute and the bedding I have now is almost a perfect match, and that is what I am finding so dreary. I love my chair also it was my great grandmother's it was in my family room and it can go back there. deco I would love to raise the head board, but it is a head board / foot board with metal rails so the bedding has to cover those rails. Is there a way to do raise the the head board

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No way Dog, I am a terrible painter!

• njmomma
    4 years ago

If you don't like the what you have, you need to change it up. Would this be something you would choose?

Sherry Kline Splendor Ocean 3-Piece Comforter Set, Queen · More Info

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Tqtqtbw...that coral-orange is just the right color to brighten a dull room. The granny may like it, too.
    Accent pillows and bed pillows can stand on edge to disguise the low headboard, which I think was originally a footboard. If it is separate from the bedframe, the “headboard” can be raised on two narrow cement blocks placed against the wall. They will be hidden by the bedding. I know it works because I have done it.

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Momma I like that, do you like the second one I pated above or is it too muted.

Lady, I have looked for something coral-orange not easy to find. That is a headboard there is a also a very low footboard. Metal rails and slats. When that bed was made 60 years ago mattresses were not 10 inches thick! and we got the low foundation.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Newenglandgardenerct, I really like the second one you posted.

Newenglandgardenerct thanked chloebud
  • Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oarangy ..

• MarleneM
    4 years ago

I really like the second one you posted above too. I think it would look great with the BM Jute walls, and additional decor in either white or darker blue would coordinate well. Liking the idea of adding blue rather than orange.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Love the second one Newengland!

• hollybar
    4 years ago

I'd add to the bedding you have with colour and print and change up the too small mirror, the curtains, the lamps and (at minimum) re-hang the art. But first, since that chest is staying, can you take a few more pics of room? How many inches between the chest and the bed?

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Holly I am not in the position to redo the hole room. I spent weeks picking out the art, lamps etc. the curtains are old and when I decide on the bedding I will change them. there is about 2 feet between the end of the bead an the dresser. This is a 50 year old ranch all the bedrooms are very small.

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

pictures

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

This P Kaufmann fabric would be beautiful made into a bed scarf to go across the bottom of your existing bedding. Then you could find two shams in an orange or coral to match and place them behind your existing shams to break up the solid look of the fabric being so close to the wall color.

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/p-kaufmann-finders-keepers-spice-fabric-.htm

I did this on both my guest beds and love the way it breaks up the solid bedding. This is not my bed but an example of what I mean.

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That fabric is beautiful. Maybe over an Ivory comforter.

• User
    4 years ago

That is a beautiful fabric katinparadise is it sewn into the down comforter?

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Thanks Claire. No, it just lays over the bed. It can be made with hem tape if someone doesn't sew.

Newengland, I think it could work with your existing bedding. You can always order a sample and see what you think.

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How many yards do you need for a double bed? I could do it by hand.

• User
    4 years ago

More stuff on the bed for a guest to throw on the floor before they can go to sleep? Uncluttered is always better.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Two yards if you don't want to match seams. A double bed is 54" and two yards with a 1" seam allowance all around will give you 70" so you would have 8" of overhang on each side. You could get an extra half yard if you wanted to make a matching pillow. I did mine in a lumbar size.

Lisa, it doesn't need to go on the floor. It can stay right on the bed or be folded over a chair. My guests have always just left them in place.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I could not detect a footboard in your photos.

• User
    4 years ago

you're welcome

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

deco the room is so small it is hard to get a picture. two small ball topped legs with a strip of wood in between again the bed was designed when mattress were not 10 inches thick.

• J J
    4 years ago

following

• maggierateye
    4 years ago

If you want to stay with neutral bedding, jazz it up with textures... Here is a mattelaise coverlet, a textured quilt, and nubby linen shams. In cool months, I add a black mohair throw. There is no headboard in either photo, but in the first, there are 6(!) pillows, 4 stacked 2 and two, and the last 2 in shams leaning against the stacked pairs. The second photo shows a mattelaise coverlet as well, but with a colorful quilt folded at the foot of the bed. Only 2 pillows, but plump ones!

• Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts an suggestions, I am going to poke around the stores today and look a the blues though I haven't ruled out some kind of coral/orangey color. It would be nice to by it locally so it can go back if I don't like it. I have decided that the bed defiantly needs some fluff. I will post when find something.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Put colour on the windows: hang drapes or Roman shades from ceiling heights. Bigger, bolder art would help.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Keep your neutral bedding, orange accent pillow and chair. Put the animal print throw on the chair with the animal lamp near by. Get some navy and cream/white patterned fabric for the bed scarf. Better if it has a small touch of the orange, but ok if it doesn't. Get two navy euro pillow to go behind the neutral ones.

Your neutral curtains are fine, although I prefer long ones. If you get long neutral ones, you can heat-bond a strip of navy trim to the inside edge to fancy up low cost drapes.

Newenglandgardenerct thanked tqtqtbw
  • Newenglandgardenerct
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What do you think?

I am going to get some long neutral sheers, Maybe change the mat on the map print to navy. But think for a teeny tiny room it looks much better

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Very pretty and looks comfortable.

Newenglandgardenerct thanked tqtqtbw
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

It looks great. I like the pattern on the bedding-it adds some interest to the room.

• Gargamel
    4 years ago

What a difference! It looks great!