Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thewickedchic

Confused about Graco Fertilizer

Denise Becker
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

A friend of mine who is in the citrus nursery business recommended this brand of fertilizer but I don't know anything about the ingredients used. He wanted to sell me the 13-6-6. The word formaldehyde in it scares me. http://gracofertilizer.com/wp-content/uploads/Agriculture-Gardening-2017/Fruits-Berries-2017/13-6-6-Ammonium-Sulfate-Plus-Minors-Super-Plant-Food-50.pdf

I went to the company's website to learn more about the product and found 2 additional citrus specific fertilizers which had lower NPK numbers. http://gracofertilizer.com/wp-content/uploads/Agriculture-Gardening-2017/Fruits-Berries-2017/8-2-8-Citrus-Tree-Fertilizer-50.pdf http://gracofertilizer.com/wp-content/uploads/Agriculture-Gardening-2017/Fruits-Berries-2017/7-4-6-Citrus-Special-50.pdf

Can you tell me in plain English if any of them are good? From what little I know about fertilizing citrus, the 8-2-8 is more in line with what citrus needs compared to the 13-6-6. Opinions please.

Comments (23)

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No, it's not close by. I would probably have to buy directly from the guy who is 1.5 hours away and it's in a 50 pound bag. I cannot imagine the cost for it to be shipped. I have 26 going on 32 trees real soon. I have lots of Epsoma right now, so I am not in a hurry. I don't know enough about chemicals and the NPK numbers to make an educated decision.

Bob, what are you using that is 25-5-15? Brand?

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Denise, my go to brand is Peters H/P from A/M Leonard, free shipping in the fall, but they usely have on going specials. If you need more info of what I am doing, be glad to share.

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was just wondering if there was something better on the market than what I was currently using. I will look at the Peters online and see what it offers in comparison. Thank you Bob.

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What does the H/P stand for?

• Monyet
    4 years ago

High performance. don’t go crazy looking for miracle fertilizers. Here is the make up.The first 3 components are basic fertilizers, used mainly for commercial use, for container culture you need more than those three, you have to add micro,s. I ground trees get there micro,s and metals from the soil. Boron,iron, zinc and more. For micro,s I use this stuff, it’s strong stuff, like a tsp for 5 gl of water.

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This fertilizer looks like it has everything a citrus needs. I am comparing the 3 listed above with the Peters. No calcium. Is that necessary? I am looking at all the percentages and feel overwhelmed when comparing fertilizer ratios. How do I know when I have the right amounts of magnesium, sulphur, boron, etc.? This is way over my head. lol.

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really don't understand what citrus trees need relating to the NPK. I just know that they need more nitrogen than anything else. The other numbers may as well be Greek to me.

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Denise, for flowering and more so for fruiting you need the metals and the micro,s, if you don’t You are prone to deceases, drop fruits, weaker trees to go through winters etc. With other words, healthy trees can handle a lot more. Insects wait for weak trees to kill it for you. You just don’t have this problem with inground trees. Calcium is an easy fix if you have rainwater available,you can add some dolomite lime, if you feed your trees-with city water add gypsum. Lime will raise your P/H. Citrus like acidic stuff, like 6 1/2 for p/h.

Ones you have you feeding straightens out, you good to go and have to worry about nothing. Well water usely has calcium.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    4 years ago

Denise, the ratio you are looking for citrus for is 5:1:3. Foliage Pro 9:3:6 comes close enough to this ratio and it has all the micronutrients so you do not have to go through adding different fertilizers that Bob thinks is necessary. Many of the long time, experienced citrus growers/contributors to this forum use it. I also use Jack’s 25-5-15 Professional. It is a lot less expensive than Foliage Pro but comes in a huge bag which will last you a very long time. With every watering I use 1/2-tsp/gallon, periodic watering: 1.25 tsp/gal. It has the 5:1:3 ratio but lacks some micronutrients. However, I have not had any problems using it. Supplying calcium is usually not a problem because there is enough calcium in tap water.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

Foliage pro is Ridiculously expensive. Yes it has micros, so does a blend of miracle grow acid fertilizer and miracle grow for tomatoes, the two together give you virtually all the micros listed on foliage pro label. I only use foliage pro in dead of winter for every 3rd or fourth fertilizing

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am familiar with Foliage Pro and how good it is through word of mouth. I have it on my shelf, but it's expensive to order online and I didn't see any difference using it compared to the organic products in a bag. If you add up the cost of the organic stuff, Osmocote Plus and the fish emulsion, you are still putting out money here and there.

I do not understand how to use the NPK numbers in relation to fertilizers. I was horrible in school with ratios so I am totally lost. With the 25-5-15, you divide all by numbers by 5 to get 5-1-3? My friend uses 13-6-6 in his nursery and I asked him why he did. He said it's a good all around fertilizer and is used to using it. From looking at the labels of fertilizers, the numbers are all different when it comes to the different percentages minerals and what not. Is there a minimum needed of all these minerals? Does it really matter as long as it is there? I grow in containers so does it make a difference in the amounts listed? Oh, this is so confusing. Am I overthinking it? lol.

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Denise, just keep reading Vlad advise he is the the smartest guy,just ask him. He is also the guy that ask the most questions about the sh.. he is growing. I am not afraid to show what I am growing, he is.

4 years ago

Bob, what is your problem? You keep making gratuitous personal attacks on me. What have I done to you to deserve such treatment?

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Vlad, I don’t have problem, if you tell me, that my approach of fertilizing is bogus,you got to be kidding, which is normal for you And a couple others on this forum. I have deal with you for a while. My approach on this forum is helping others. I am not like you sneaking on a different forum, asking Them to solve your problems . Not me, do you know that I haven’t ask anybody on this forum or others as how to.

I will tell you this, this is my last post or reply to deal with Houzz .forum. Forums are passee for me. Good luck.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

I hope both you guys take it easy and keep contributing, I've noticed its slow here.........as a side note osmocote pellets are not that expensive and has the micros....

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't want a debate about the popular fertilizers that is used among the members here. I have Foliage Pro, Jobes, and Epsoma citrus fertilizers already on hand, but would like to see what else is out there. Please look at the links and tell me what you think about the ingredients and amounts. I want to look outside the box and take advantage of what is available to me as GA is becoming a citrus producing state.

4 years ago

If I had to choose between the two fertilizers, I would choose the 13-6-6 because it has all of the micronutrients, although in different amounts, that the 7-4-6 has but it has a higher proportion of nitrogen. Citrus are heavy nitrogen feeders.

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Vlad for your opinion. It doesn't have boron or calcium in it. Does it make a difference?

• Silica
    4 years ago

In my opinion the very best fertilizer, for container citrus trees is Jack's professional water soluble fertilizer 25-5-15 HPF. It has exactly the nutrient ratio that citrus needs, as citrus absorb nutrients in the ratio of 5 parts nitrogen, 1 part phosphorous, and 3 parts potassium

4 years ago

Denise, I have never heard of citrus with boron or calcium deficiency. Your trees will probably get enough calcium from your tap water. I am not sure if that is also true for boron.

I agree with Jodi about Jack's fertilizer. That is what I use and I have had no boron or calcium deficiencies in my citrus.

• Denise Becker
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the recommendation for the Jacks. My trees have to come inside for the winter. With the high numbers, will this make my trees double in size fairly quickly? I don't want large trees and have to continuously cut the canopy back then no fruit.

Edit: Are there instructions for pots on the back label on amounts to use with containers? From what I have found, it has the micro and macro nutrients so this is complete and no supplements needed. I like this already.

4 years ago

Jack's will allow the tree to grow more quickly but it will also be more healthy because it contains a higher proportion of nitrogen, which the tree needs for optimal health. Otherwise, it might become nitrogen deficient.

For Jack's, I use 0.5 Tsp/gal (125 ppm nitrogen) with every watering or 1 Tsp/gal (250 ppm nitrogen) for periodic fertilization.