Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_rockland

jens munk rose?

mary_rockland
4 years ago

Hi,

Here in zone USDA 4B I've always thought Jens Munk was a wonderful rose, but now as years have gone by I'm not sure. I've never owned one, just observed and pruned one for a friend. It seems to be a good bloomer over a long period, great colour, but awfully thorny. Also I think it suckers. So, I'm wondering with varieties like Morden Belle and Morden Centennial and so many others as choices for a medium-small clear pink hardy roses does it, or would it rate space in your garden?

Comments (18)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    4 years ago

It's a good modern rugosa hybrid. With the strengths and weaknesses of that group. So I wouldn't begin to call it small.

I have yet to run into a rose from Morden that does not blackspot horribly here. So for me, those are all non-starters.

mary_rockland thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • mary_rockland
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess I meant medium-small as in not the 8 feet I can get from say, from my 20 year old my William Baffins, but you are right Jens Munk is not small. Things don't grow to great heights here. Sorry the Mordens blackspot for you. Just wondering if the thorns and perhaps? tendancy to sucker? are worth it due to good blooming, etc.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

I have read your comments and analyzed the situation.

No, it will not be worth it for you. Despite the good blooming, color, fragrance, and disease resistance.

mary_rockland thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

I loved Morden Blush in Alaska. I also loved Jens Munk in a different way. I would let it grow naturally and not prune Jens. I love the naturalistic wild look, which Jens fits into well.

mary_rockland thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • mary_rockland
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good to know. What exactly is a PNW garden?

• wayne
    4 years ago

Pacific North West

mary_rockland thanked wayne
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

Good observation about bad hairdo, oldrosarian. Well put. That’s exactly why White Pavement had to go (Madame Anisette replaced it).

mary_rockland thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • mary_rockland
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do find that most roses apart from my Hansa and Therese Bugnet and Explorers die back to nearly the crown. Even my Morden Centennial from the hardy Morden Series that I adore has a fair bit of dieback, so I did buy Jens Munk. Any other thoughts on expected height, width and placement in my zone 4B?

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Went to the nearby rose garden the other day and took some photos of three Jens Munk planted together, the tallest one on the left is about 6ft, but the one on the right was probably about 3-4ft.

mary_rockland thanked prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
  • mary_rockland
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So good to get opinions and feedback on this rose. Oldrosarian, just for a reference - what USDA zone are you in?

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    4 years ago

mens junk

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Give it room because it does sucker in my sandy loam. The height range is roughly the same as the pic provided by prairie_northrose, just a bit shorter at 5-51/2' down to 3'. I put in one and have easily removed many of the suckers.

mary_rockland thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • mary_rockland
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just curious - Does soil type affect the amount or severity of suckering? I mean say sandy soil vs. clay soil? I mean when making cuttings well drained medium is important, so clay would be the last thing you would ever use, whereas sand is often recommended.. Perhaps I'm just hopeful since my soil is clay based. :)

• moftah Younis
    last year
    last modified: last year

I bought Jens Munk ross by mistake (mislamislabeled ). how bad does it sucker

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

Jens Munk is a wonderful rose. Let it grow to the size you want and you can always snip off extra shoots. I love my roses suckering.

• moftah Younis
    last year

I will. thanks

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last year

Has anyone tried planting suckering type roses like rugosas inside a large bottomless plastic pot to control the suckers?