Software
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Lavender Lassie

7 years ago

I have wanted this rose for a very long time.... I have had three collies.... and I lost my last one in May due to cancer. He was young just turned 6 by a day..... My last one (Oracle) was a REAL gardening buddy. When I dug, he would NOT, but he would come over and check out the up turned Earth.... When I weeded he would sit so close, sometimes I though he was in my lap. When I let him outside to do his business, he would and then walk the yard and actually stop and smell the roses in bloom. I never saw anything like it.... didn't even know animals cared about plants unless they wanted to eat them... My heart is still heavy.... Some days more than others.... but the pain has NOT seem to subside.....




So now I want to REALLY get the Lavender Lassie... I keep going to HelpmeFind.com and it say 10b zone... but I hear from local rosarians that it really doesn't bloom well here.... Have any of you guys bought a rose that you kind of know isn't really well suited for you, but REALLY wanted it for sentimental reasons... I am MISSING my guy so much that I even if the rose only bloomed just once in awhile.... or at least stayed healthy without blackspotting to death.... after all if I am getting a rose to tribute my beloved collie I don't want to have a real regret..... I have enough regrets as is.....

Thanks

Sharon

Comments (23)

  • 7 years ago

    Different zone, but I think Lilyfinch loved this rose and it did well under her significant BS pressure. I finally got mine in the ground and it appears to be rebounding. It's a wonderful tribute to a beloved pet, so why not go for it! I wish I had a cutting rooted that I could send you, but probably better to start with a more mature plant. What a wonderful companion he was for you! Regret can hang heavy and I'm sure you will always miss him; I just hope with time the missing can be joined with a smile of remembrance.

    I still miss my little cats who adored the garden as it's the best hiding place of all and provided endless entertainment. I used to find their long hair on the thorns and figured out that's where they went to avoid coming in and also stay out of the heat. They loved rolling in the dirt and were good voler,s but mainly they just liked to hang out with me. I can now have a birdbath, but that's not much of a solace.

    sharon2079 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I have LL here and it had second bloom cycle of only one new basal this year. It is lovely. I would go for it. So sorry about your loss of Oracle.

    First bloom. LL with Violette on left

    Second flush. At least it's something.

    sharon2079 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, something about LL. It has not bloom for me at all. It is creeping up to second year . It shoot up then nothing. No new leaves at all. I don't know but I was told it needs cold and yet HMF says 10 b and that really confused me.
    I would definitely ask Pam from Angel gardens about it. Apparently, she told someone on this forum who left and she highly did not recommend it. I can't remember his/her name but she / he open another rose forum.

    I am giving a little more time than I have to remove it.

    Sorry , Sharon ! I rather be honest with you. So, you won't waste your money, time and effort.
    I feel awful to tell you this but I rather be honest with you. Something does not add up.

    jin

    sharon2079 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    I am so sorry about Oracle. I really hate to break the above news to you. I truly am :(
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Jin, I know... honesty is always BEST..... I just kind of feel like a person who has broken up and wants to eat a gallon of ice cream.... they know they shouldn't.... I guess my break up is with my Oracle.... he is gone.... and I just seem to be missing him really bad today..... I had to pull LOTS of weeds from all the rain we have had.... and my garden buddy was not there.


  • 7 years ago

    Sharon you need to add another dog to your family. So many lovely dogs would be so happy to have you. Oracle would want that for you.

  • 7 years ago

    Sheila, someday maybe... it would be a collie.... they aren't to plentiful close to me......

  • 7 years ago

    I am so sorry. I just did not want you to be more upset or depressed or disappointed. I know it is hard but Oracle will be always be with you in house and garden.
    I am just hoping that I am wrong but I have been asking around and I can't get any answer. I should not have said above but I will be wrong to be quite.
    I figured you might look into it or perhaps there is another rose that will do well in our weather.
    I really do not want to upset you as you have a lot on your mind and heart. I also don't want you to be disappointed as this rose will be very special for Oracle. I am so sorry Sharon. I feel as if I am doomed to let you know or doomed later if it does not bloom and everybody knows I have this rose.
    It is a special rose for Oracle and you. I know.....

    jin

    sharon2079 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Oh, Sharon, I am so sorry! We lost our sweet sheltie last year, and it is very hard. They are family.

    Even if you can’t grow LL in his honor, you could grow another rose. Maybe one that is similar to the type he liked to stop and sniff, or one that reminds you of his qualities? We planted a Mons. Tillier over my Rufus’ grave, since Rufus means red. And we put a stone there to remember him by. I think the most important thing is that you do something to honor his memory, which helps with the grieving process.


    :-)

    sharon2079 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, in your cruising around on HMF, did you happen to run across Classic Lassie? It states 9b, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it in a spot with afternoon shade. What about Scentimental, or Always and Forever 9b, Puppy Kisses - no zone, Gardener's Friend and Garden Friend, Best Friend and Compassionate Friend, and I even found L'oracle, but no zone designation.

    What an absolutely stunning dog. i know you are devastated and hope you find a way to commemorate your little guy that helps with your grief. I'm sending you a virtual hug.

    sharon2079 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago

    flowersaremusic.... thanks I think I need the hug today..... your suggestions are good today. I will have to go look them up.... especially the Puppy Kisses and Classic Lassie....


    Posies.... I am sorry about your sheltie.... I like the stone for him. That is a nice touch.


  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, I'm so sorry for your loss. I had collies growing up and the are the most beautiful, kind dogs ever. Really great dogs. Take all the time you need to mourn your pup's loss. I try to put something in my yard to commemorate companion animals I have lost: a special rock, or planting a tree or something, like you were hoping to do with Lavender Lassie. I've also had get togethers with people (who understand) where we sit around and commemorate the animal's life, bring pictures and share experiences, etc. I think our society thinks you should just "get over it" when a companion animal dies. People mourn at different rates and take all the time you need to mourn the loss of your precious dog.

    sharon2079 thanked debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Those are beautiful suggestions, PmP! Debby, we did the same for your kitties and knowing that others appreciated their unique qualities did help to share the grief.

  • 7 years ago

    I can't comment on you Lavender Lassie question as I am in a different zone and only have a small plant waiting to go into the ground. But I wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost your sweet dog. I think it's so nice to have a memorial in the garden for a beloved pet...especially a gardening companion one.

    sharon2079 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, I'm so sorry that you lost your wonderful and beautiful dog. The fact that he left you at such a young age makes it even more difficult, and he was obviously your close companion. Give yourself all the time you need to grieve. Such a precious animal leaves a huge hole in one's heart, and it's a space that's never quite filled, no matter what other animals come along that we also dearly love. I can only say that with time it gets easier, but each wonderful spirit leaves an indelible imprint, and that's as it should be. I wish you all the best during this very difficult time.

    sharon2079 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, just a note to say that I'm so sorry about Oracle. I'm also a dog lover, and know that they hold a very special place in the heart. As other's have suggested, maybe you could plant a different rose in memory of Oracle? Something that feels right to you.

    sharon2079 thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, it is too bad about your dog. It is hard to lose a pet buddy. I still grieve sometimes over the loss of my cats, but I believe that they have gone on to a better place where they won't hurt any more.

    I do not know where you are or what zone, but I can comment on Lavender Lassie as it does here. It gets to be a big, sprawly climber that has a big display of lavender-pink flowers in the spring provided the weather has not been on a rampage in some way. The cooler it is, the more lavender the flowers are. Warmer temps favor the pink. If we have had a late, hard freeze, there will be no repeat bloom in the fall. The fall repeat is quite minimal, but just enough to say that it repeats, sometimes. There is no bloom cycle for summer after the spring flush. Some hybrid musks are better than others for repeat bloom. Bishop Darlington does well for that, but it is only marginally hardy here. I hope that I have helped in some small way.

    sharon2079 thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, I am so sorry for your loss. My two beloved cats died more than 10 years ago, and I still miss and remember them. They aren't people, but still...

    As for the rose Lavender Lassie, I have 2 ,but they are still too new to my garden for me to be able to comment with any authority. I'm in Tuscany, Italy, Med climate that has been ruined by global warming,so now we get extreme,muggy heat in summer ,and drought is a constant threat. It's so unpleasant outside usually in summer that flowering during this time of year isn't important to me at all, but LL did bloom nicely in May. However, I f you decide against getting LL, I did look up the name "Oracle" on HMF https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?searchNmTyp=5&searchNm=oracle&rid=3647&sbSearch=SEARCH&tab=1 The gallica probably would not work in a hot climate , but "ORAclelon", being an HT, might be an option...

    sharon2079 thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Bart I did the same thing and was going to recommend this rose to her as well.

    I grow Little White Pet in memory of my dog (yellow lab) that passed. I have a little statue at its base.

    sharon2079 thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago

    I'm so sorry for your loss. You sweet gardening buddy was gorgeous.

    sharon2079 thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago

    Bart Thank you! Over the Moon really hasn't been on my radar because it is kind of like Medallion (which is my favorite rose) however, I know I can get it on fortuniana and that it grows well here in Florida! I am so thankful that you put me on to this rose. I plan on getting one in the fall.... It says it doesn't do well in the heat, but I have actually seen it locally.... I don't know what that means, but I will be giving it a try... at least I see it here, where I never see Lavender Lassie. Thanks again for your suggestion.

  • 7 years ago

    Sharon, I could offer another rose for your consideration that is also an apricot. It has hybrid tea-type flowers and does well here. It is the rose Fragrant Apricot. It is a floribunda that is available from Roses Unlimited, but it is on its own roots. I don't know if that would work in Florida, but it might as a potted plant. It is one of my more sturdy varieties, and I would like to have several of them if I could. If Over the Moon does not do well for you, you might look at this one. From my understanding, Over the Moon likes more southern climes. It did next to nothing for me here and did not survive our winters. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    sharon2079 thanked the_bustopher z6 MO