kathy_chriest

Need help picking countertop

Kathy

I just installed Lambswool/ taupe cabinets and coretec floors shown below What color countertop? I like Taj Mahal quartzite and Blanca Perla.

• luckyblueeye

I like both stones...that being said, both are close in color to your cabinets. Are you planning on bringing contrast or pattern with your back splash? I would worry about it feeling a bit flat with so many similar tones next to each other. But...that's me...I love contrast.

Brian-Custom Made Cabinets Maker

stone, cabinet door and the wooden floor, they look match each other very well...

• Shannon_WI

I agree with luckyblueeye. While both those stones are lovely, you need to add color. Look at your photos you posted - can you tell if they are black-and-white photos or color photos?

• herbflavor

whitish or blackish counters and color in backsplash tile. Movement in counter will restrict backsplash color/pattern and the kitchen needs backsplash interest as a counterpoint to all the neutral painted cabinets which are nice !

• Kathy

Photos are so deceiving. When I look at the cabinets I see Taupe and the countertops have taupe with light tones. Here is a new stone that I’m leaning towards. Stone person recommended going with a dark back splash.
    Really wanted porcelain Koehler sink. - Any thoughts on sink color. I was thinking cashmere

Flo Mangan

I have Taj Mahal and we love it. Very pretty and easy to care for. Need to pick specific slab. I think using that with your cabinets would be lovely. You can add color with accessories such as tea kettle, towels, salt and pepper grinders etc etc.

Flo Mangan

I would do white sink if you do Taj Mahal. I have stainless which is nice so it boils down to your personal taste. Going to be very pretty.

• herbflavor

Stone person says dark backsplash? Regarding that: it would be a black hole, right at eye level, not at all customary......altho occas you see glossy black mosaics. The point is: with patterned counter, you are left with light or contrasting dark backsplash. Before I would pick any counter with patterns like these I would really be certain you like the options remaining for your backsplash...and not just with the counter but with the cabinets also.

• Kathy

Sorry Stone person mentioned taupe tile.
    I’m trying to have a neutral kitchen. Didn’t want to get stuck with too trendy colors.
    Any backsplash color ideas?
    Also Flo you mentioned you had a stainless sink. Would be interested in knowing what kind? I’m open to stainless if it’s easy to maintain
    Everyone is so helpful here!

• herbflavor

backsplash in white or cream sounds like "neutral" for your purposes...there may be a shade that veers one direction or the other …...this gets to whether cabinets and everything with lighting is cool or warm in your space. Taupe? Backsplash samples of white, cream and ?taupe? need viewing in the space...... the first counter sample shown looks cool with your other elements. The second looks definitely warmer. this will impact which backsplash tiles work . I'd bring some in before final decision on counter.

• Kathy

Floors in!

• chocolatebunny123

I personally would do a dark countertop to "ground" your cabinets, but I also love contrast. I think soapstone would look amazing. While your other choices are nice, they're a bit meh.

• Kate E

Both of your countertop selections are beautiful. I have a hard time visualizing... but wonder if it might be too much of the same and land in the bland area rather than neutral? (Could be way off, though!) have your considered white? We just put in Corian in Designer white (like bright pure white) and it’s really striking but still neutral.

• Kathy

I did consider white but it appears Too stark. Several cabinet consultants indicated I have warm tones and to go white would be too cool and harsh. I’ve looked at lots of pics with taupe and Taj. I am torn! I might have to revevaluate.

• Kate E

Totally get it - I could see how white might be too bright. Of the two you posted, the first was my personal favorite. The design /pattern of the stone I personally like better - both are gorgeous though!!

• Kate E

Also, someone with backsplash experience might know... is the countertop with the more distinct veining harder to find a complimentary backsplash, with the countertops having a visual “direction” to them? Just a thought - may not matter at all!

• Kathy

It sure. Here’s a pic that inspired me

• Kathy

Actually leaning toward this one

Flo Mangan

It can be difficult but key thing is consideration of multiple room elements. Typically, the more action in countertops the quieter you have to keep the backsplash while staying complimentary to cabinets and flooring. So it is tricky and generally speaking I keep “action” countertops to island(s) then peripherals can be complimentary.

• Kathy

Suggestions on countertop- not Taj Mahal? So confused!

Flo Mangan

With that slab, you want something like a medium to dark on peripheral counters and backsplash could be close to cabinet color. But all colors have to blend nicely together standing 8’ away. If you have no island then plain possibly gray subway type tiles. No glass, no metallics. Simple style for backsplash.

• Kathy

I was planning on a glass subway tile in a beige tone of the cabinets. The cabinets are lambswool Diamond cabinet color.

• Kathy

Is this a better fit. It’s quartz.
    I thought that having natural material was better. Natural material has movement - isn’t that the point?

Flo Mangan

Have you looked at Silestone Lyra? It is quartz and has light veining with some golds and greys. It could work nicely with your cabinets if you want to stay monochromatic. The floor looks amazing. Beautiful. Then perhaps a backsplash with some texture. There are many choices available now with some interesting shapes that would compliment your cabinets. Bbl

Flo Mangan

The perception of that slab will be basically white. When flat on counter it will be cool. Your cabinets are warm. You will like a warmer looking color with your cabinets. All colors are tricky. Also, lighting in stone yards is usually Mercury or florescent which skews color perceptions. Glass tile has to be tested in your space. Do you want highly reflective look? Just trying to understand your overall desire. The inspiration photo appears to have white glossy backsplash.

• Kathy

This is a picture from Diamond cabinets of my cabinets. I guess white is better. But my Taj Mahal has white and taupe. But you all think a white would be better?

• Kathy

The stone people indicated at two different places that I needed a warm stone. They say that’s what I picked. I saw several with more white backgrounds and they said they were too cool.
    So I should go with a warm stone?

Flo Mangan

I think Taj Mahal would be gorgeous. That would be my #1 choice. I thought you rejected TM? I am confused.

• Kathy

I am too.
    I love Taj but everyone says it’s too matchy and monatone with my kitchen
    The pic below is Taj.

Flo Mangan

TM walks the line between warm and cool depending on the specific slab. That slab you posted looks more cool grays than mine. Maybe you need to go to see other slabs at another stone source. Because you have all peripheral cabinets/countertops, you will see edges of countertops the most. So you might do white quartz countertops and put Taj Mahal on backsplash. That would be pricey. So which direction do you want to take? I would want to brighten things up. Be back shortly.

• Kathy

Floors are in
    I think I’ll get some subway tile and take it with me to visit the Taj and see what happens
    Everyone has been so helpful. And feel free to keep making suggestions.

Flo Mangan

Who cares “what everyone” says. It is the look you want. So stay strong to your vision.

• Kathy

Flo good point about the edge. This pic shows the edge and it blends

Flo Mangan

Right. It has to be right slab though. A light, bright backsplash will bring it to life. Are you putting under cabinet lighting?

• Kathy

This pic is a countertop made of the same slab I showed pic of.

• Kathy

Yes I have under cabinet lighting on summers along with dimmable led lights in kitchen ceiling. They are set to daylight and it maybe what is making the cabinet color look different in pics.

Flo Mangan

Yes, lighting it important and you sound in good shape. This is the backsplash that came to my mind for your kitchen. You need some pizazz! This this so beautiful. I have the name in my files. I will dig it up if it is of interest. I have seen this and it is really beautiful!

Flo Mangan

Here is the name of that backsplash. It comes in large sheets. With your new sheetrock, that should give it a good backing and make it easier to install. Porcelanosa - "Madison Nacar". Comes in 12 x 35 and 6x90. 3/8" thick. Grout used in this picture and by a client of mine is Colorstuk-Blanco. It sparkles with good LED lighting. Real show stopper, if you want a show stopper. Everything else is so "neutral" this could be a real winner for you. It doesn't look like you have too much backsplash, but this is pretty pricey. Just so worth it.

Flo Mangan

Do you know how many sq. ft. or linear feet is in the kitchen? I assume your have standard 18" from countertop to bottom of cabinets?

• Kathy

Yes std 18. Sq footage of countertop was 53.
    I’m thinking 36 so ft

Purewal Contractors, Inc

Great kitchen Cabinets

• Kate E

Based on your inspiration pic - I think Taj Mahal is the way to go!

• Kate E

I love it! Subtle enough not to overwhelm the space but enough interest and variation to be stunning!

• Kathy

Looking at this for backsplash

• Kathy

Buying this countertop

• Kate E

Love it!!!