Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

'Julia Child'....

7 years ago

Millions of threads on this rose, so I thought it prudent to add to the pile...


...I have to keep her pruned.. I cut the top off to stabilise it as this rose is so top heavy she would be blown over if I didn't do that... otherwise a truly great yellow floribunda - probably like no other... if it does well here for me... she's got to be good - no question..







...I still prefer 'Kew Gardens' more though [...sorry ]...

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    Your Julia is looking real good! As are your other plants...Great photos!

  • 7 years ago

    You're Julia Child is so beautiful what a stellar rose. I was out deadheading mine last night and I notice some pretty funky leaves tucked in among the healthy ones hopefully not gonna be an issue because I have no time it is survival of the fittest right now

  • 7 years ago

    Wonderful pics of ‘julia’! She’s been a winner in N and S Central TX.

  • 7 years ago

    This rose is like a ray of sunshine. Your border is so cheerful and colorful. I love the dark pink/purple companion flower.

  • 7 years ago

    What an eye-catching border? Is this your public view? What do you prefer about Kew Gardens?

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, I can see why you like Kew Gardens so much, nice photo with a bee on it... I recognize a Tea Rose in the border.

    Your border is beautifully designed, so many lovely plants. I like the pink miniature rose as well, near Julia Child.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Julia Child is without doubt a very good rose (I love her in Diane's front garden in Idaho) but I must admit, Marlorena, I prefer Kew Gardens to JC in your situation. Of course there's no reason you couldn't have both, I suppose. I took JC out of my front garden because she seemed too modern and too yellow for the sort of country garden I had envisioned, and I still remember how "right" it all looked once this rose was gone. We may love individual roses but it's the overall picture that's more important, although much more so in a larger garden that has no visible boundaries between it and the greater landscape around it. A smaller fenced garden in some ways gives you more freedom to do what you want.

  • 7 years ago

    I think that is so true, Ingrid. Even in my large suburban city plot, the enclosed areas dictate one sort of planting and the open areas another. Fortunately not all of it is on the same level nor can be seen all at once so the colours are slightly different in the front than the back and sides. hopefully it will come together someday. I like these pictures of Julia when she fades out a bit, but I have seriously considered KG for the very reasons Marlorena states. It will go in my "wild" area where something brazen would seem out of place.

  • 7 years ago

    She's really a showstopper when she's happy and yours is pretty stunning. I saw his growing at the Brooklyn botanical gardens and was quite ratty, so I've stayed away, but maybe should give it a try one of these days. I've heard the lady herself selected this rose to be named after her because the color reminded her of butter. Not sure if it's true but funny story. I can just picture it :)

  • 7 years ago

    I love your JC Marlorena,. Always enjoy your beautiful roses and other flowers.

  • 7 years ago

    She is one of my absolute favorites! Seems to always be blooming. She has very good disease resistance and is very winter hardy. All that and she's beautiful and smells divine! What's not to like?

  • 7 years ago

    Disease resistance varies greatly based on location. JC is rarely with leaves here, very spotty. Good in early spring but by spotty before summer temps kick in to stop BS.

  • 7 years ago

    Where are you Protoavis?

  • 7 years ago

    Was very BS prone here too.

  • 7 years ago

    I can only sigh. JC is poor here in term of BS resistance, which in turn affects its winter hardiness. My grafted one does OK, but the own root one is a puny little thing after 4 years.

    A major dose of rose envylp

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio