snowcountry

Window or upper cabinet in a small kitchen

snowcountry
last modified: July 11, 2019

I have a very small kitchen in the corner of a great room. I wanted to have a window since it will be in the darkest corner of the room. Now I am having trouble finding space for a small microwave not to mention lack of storage space. Shall I give up the window? The kitchen plan is below. Ignore the 36" sink. It will be replaced by 30" sink and a little counterspace next to it.

• herbflavor

Why don't you square the island to get some drawers on an end.....sink on one side and seating on remainder one or two sides. Drawers are best storage. Keep window.

snowcountry thanked herbflavor
  • chicagoans

Some ideas:

low windows under your upper cabinets (not behind cooktop of course):

cabinets in front of windows, with glass panels in the doors:

solatubes in ceiling.

snowcountry thanked chicagoans
  • Kristin S

Do you cook or order in/go out for most of your meals?

If the later, I'd add a window even if it means losing some space, so you have nice light for reheating.

If the former, however, this is a VERY small kitchen. I would think through exactly what you need in a functional kitchen and then think through exactly where you're going to put everything? Forget the microwave, what about the pots/pans/dishes/mixer/etc., let alone the food? People certainly make do with smaller kitchens, but I'm not sure I'd want to plan one when building a home from scratch (and not one in the downtown of a major city).

snowcountry thanked Kristin S
  • snowcountry

I don't cook much. I get by with a small kitchen now. The new kitchen will have about 80% of the cabinet space of what I have now. Maybe I will go with the low window. If I go with low windows, do I need to make it symmetric and put it in both sides of the stove?

• Kristin S

I would start editing your kitchen to the essentials now and make sure you can get by with 80% of what you currently have before you commit to this plan.

If doing the low windows, I would make it symmetrical.

snowcountry thanked Kristin S
  • snowcountry

I am downsizing. I should be ok. I may have trouble if I try to sell the house tho.

• daisychain01

I would try to find more cab space elsewhere before I took out the window. Before you commit to low windows, see if you can go hang out in a real kitchen with them first. Some people find them extremely annoying - remember those peninsulas popular in the 80s that had the cabs hanging down over them? You'd be bending down to try to talk to your guests on the other side - same principle.

snowcountry thanked daisychain01
  • larecoltante Z6b NoVa

Keep the window. If you already know you want light, you will miss it if you substitute a cabinet. Below the cabinet windows are nice, but they don’t have the expansive light that a full window provides. And in some kitchens, they accentuate the visual weight of the upper cabinets.

snowcountry thanked larecoltante Z6b NoVa
  • snowcountry

The real problem is the microwave. Is there a decent way to put microwave in front of the window?

• Kristin S

Do you have space in the island for a drawer microwave?

snowcountry thanked Kristin S
  • snowcountry

Unless I sacrifice seating. I was going to seat 4 people on the island two on each side.

• Kristin S

You have a nice sized dining area just steps from a very small kitchen. I'd absolutely give up island seating (probably altogether, but at minimum two seats of it) for more cabinet and microwave space.

snowcountry thanked Kristin S
  • snowcountry

That's an idea. Just giving up one seat will make room for a drawer microwave.