dwashing

This big ass wall...HELP ME!

Dawn Washington

There is a big, white wall in my family room. Currently, the only thing on this wall is the TV. I'm thinking of adding texture to it, maybe some shelves? I'm desperately seeking suggestions. It measures something like 12 x 16.

• acm

That doesn't seem such a huge wall. Start by getting a long console for under your TV, and be sure that the TV itself is hung at seated eye level.

Beyond that, we're going to need photos of the room, so we can see what else is in there and what abuts this wall. Maybe give us shots of every wall from the middle of the room.

• Dawn Washington

I couldn't capture the entire wall from the angle I took the picture.

• Joe T.

Needs more art! Hang a bunch of paintings and hide the wires to the TV.

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

The TV is hung to high, and it's a little small for the space too. TV's aren't that expensive these days so if you can afford it maybe upgrade to a bigger one. Then get a low console for under it (25-50% longer than the TV), and hang the TV a few inches above it.

Dawn Washington thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Yep first start by purchasing a larger TV, minimum 55" and then hang it the correct height. I think i purchased mine for $249 when Best Buy was having a sale, which is every week these days. Purchase a low cabinet from Wayfair, Overstock or IKEA.

Here are various examples of how your wall can be addressed. How much would you like to spend?

• Dawn Washington

I really like the last pic. Floating console, sound bar below the tv? Is the green area a cutout?

BeverlyFLADeziner

No the green is simply paint on the wall to focus attention and pick up the color of the rug.

• mtvhike

I got a console from Costco which I really like. It's 56" wide and 22" deep and includes three methods of mounting your TV, up to 65". If you mount the TV on the console, the mounting bracket has ways to route the cables so they are hidden. It has two drawers and two lower shelves, where you can put your DVD player, Cable box, etc. It even has two receptacles and 3 USB ports (on the back). My only complaint is that I really need more than two receptacles and the USB ports are relatively useless because they are on the back. I think it was about $250. It does require assembly, however.

• Dawn Washington

Can you post a pic?

BeverlyFLADeziner

There is no reason a TV cabinet needs to be 22" deep. That takes up way too much floor real estate.

• mtvhike

Dawn, here is my Costco console, with a 55in TV on it. It's in my basement entertainment and computer center. I added casters so I could move it around more easily.

LB Interiors

I would create a free standing storage area. A console under the TV. 2 tall bookcase shelving units, one on each side of he TV, to create a grouping, provide storage and visually balance the elements as one large unit.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Expand you design horizons. That Costco unit is not attractive, although the height of the TV is correct. Take some time and view examples on line of how people have put together a TV wall in their homes and then come back in a few weeks with a fresh approach to the problem.

Ask yourself if you need to store some items behind doors? Do you have books worthy of display? Do you have some artwork you have wanted to add to your walls? Would you like to add a linear electric fireplace to make the room more cozy?

All of that can be accommodated in a media wall if you take the time to think it through.

• Dawn Washington

I love the unit in the last pic! The two white chairs in the second to last pic would look great in my living room!

• Not a Pro

following

• Patrick Washington

To give somes more context the size of the room is approx 18 x 26. The ceilings are super high.

• acm

also, people seem to be assuming that you want to make your TV wall into a feature wall, but I see a fireplace with lots of stone on the adjacent wall. it might be enough to have tv+console on this wall, however huge, and keep the decorating focus on the fireplace wall, with nice art, etc. enough to flank your TV with the floor lamp and maybe a tall plant in the corners...

• wdccruise

IKEA offers a bunch of TV & media furniture. You can also create your own design using its Besta products, some of which are also shown on the first linked page.

• calidesign

I would use a long low console under the TV. Something simple so the focus stays on the fireplace. Then move those great yellow chairs out of the walkway and into the seating area. I can't imagine anyone uses them behind the sofa. You can fit at least one where you currently have your floor lamp. Maybe one on the other side of the fireplace? Or slide the TV down the wall and use the chairs together. The wall only needs one or two pieces of large art, but get your furniture situated first.

LB Interiors

Maybe I missed something here

Calidesign.... are you on the wrong thread?

• calidesign

@LB Interiors - click on the OP's second photo in the comments. She has two yellow chairs facing the back of the sofa, right in the walkway by French doors.

LB Interiors

Smiling.... Caldesign... thanks.