katie_dornfowler

Big Rectangle—What should we do??

Katie
July 11, 2019

We are adding about 8’ to our front bedroom to make a master suite but we need help designing the space. We need to have bedroom, closet, and bathroom. We won’t do a tub, but would like a nice shower. Attached is what our kitchen designer put together but is there a better plan? It will be aprox. 18’ wide and 20’ long. I think it would make sense window wise to have the bedroom face the front but it would be closer to the road and my husband thinks it would be weird to walk through the closet to get to the bedroom area. Also is a photo of the outside, the bedroom is the white section on the right hand side. Any thoughts and ideas would be so appreciated!!

Comments (4)

• Katie
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Also, we have room to go out 10’ but think that might make the exterior look disproportionate
  • damiarain

It's not bad... I might think about your vision / needs, like:

- do you have a TV in your bedroom? If so, is there a convenient spot to mount it?

- if the bedroom door is open - there could be privacy issues with the view ~straight into the master bath

- depending on where you live and how the toilet gets installed, you may need to plan for extra insulation in the wall behind the toilet

- re: having bedroom in the front - it looks like you have a pretty deep front yard + you're in a residential area... the benefit of reorganizing the space so the bedroom faces the front is you can have >1 window in the bedroom - one on each wall of the corner

What is in the room that shares the wall with the headboard? If it's shared with another bedroom, then there could be an issue of noise transfer if your bed is up against that wall

• Katie

Thanks for the ideas damiarain. It is a nice country setting, the road is a bit busy and there is about 40 acres of wooded state land across the street, however there is an unofficial parking area for mountain bikers directly across from our house. We are up a little on a hill so it’s not a direct line of vision but still a bit of a negative. We won’t have a tv in our room but I think if future owners wanted one they could be creative with a wardrobe or angled tv mounts of some sort. That’s a good thought about a direct line of vision with the bath, which we could solve by simply switching the closet and bath. Thanks again!

• cat_ky

i have to agree with your hubby, it would be a bit odd to have to walk through the closet to get to the bedroom. :-)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268