akjp7324

Need Help - Dream Kitchen Reno 3D Tile Backsplash

A F

We want the kitchen to be amazing but since our kids cook with us we also need to be practical. The fireplace wall is opposite our kitchen in the great room so that is why we want to go with this 3D hexagon tile for the kitchen backsplash. What do you think? Any advice is appreciated.

• A F

Here are better pics of the tile. We would do all 3D black tiles rather than the black and gray shown here. The white tiles show a combo of the 3D ones and the normal flat tile.

• pittsburrito

Please share why you want to do this. As I understand it, you want to take down a black tiled wall and replace it with a black tiled wall that will need more dusting. What did I miss?

Edited to add: I missed the part that the hexagon tile is for the kitchen backsplash, not the fireplace wall! I still wouldn't choose it due to the cleaning difficulty aspect of 3D tile. Trying to get kitchen grease off of it? Too many different surfaces on each tile to wipe down for my liking.

Kitchen reno - Island, backsplash & new upper cabinets

Hi tberriault, regarding the backsplash: it really depends on personal preference. You could make the range a focal point with a different pattern/tile inset like this kitchen with herringbone, or with the stainless, or keep it all uniform. We could help you do a custom mosaic inset also! Here are some pictures for inspiration!

I need help with kitchen backsplash ideas for almost finished reno.

That's a good idea. The only problem is that the wall is pretty messed up from where I removed the old backsplash (gray tile in the "before" picture). So right now there is the old backing from the tile and ruined drywall where I had trouble removing the old tile. :) I like your idea to just do something solid and simple that doesn't take away from the countertop part that is on the wall. (Not sure what that is called.) So what if we did just a basic white or maybe ivory (slightly off-white) or beige tile with a few colored "accent" tiles thrown in to add some interest? Do you think that would look ok? If so, do you think we should get small tiles or big tiles?

Need help finding kitchen backsplash tile

Certainly looks like a glass subway. It looks as though it could be the Devotions series from Oceanside Glass. 3x6 in Light Medium Beige.

Help Please!! Need tiling advice for kitchen backsplash

Maggys111: Our range is installed to code -- it's 6+ inches from the wall. Thanks!!! Leelee: Thank you!! We are only tiling the back wall and the wall with the fridge under the cabinets. We aren't tiling the ceiling. I can't imagine what a challenge that would be!! Sativa: I like the idea of doing a duct tape mock up!! Thanks!
  • A F

Our kitchen still needs a backsplash. We are thinking of using the 3D black hexagon tiles as our backsplash. We thought it would compliment our fireplace tv wall well.

• Kirsten E.

Love your space! I think it would look cool, but not necessarily cool enough to warrant the increased cleaning 3D tile necessitates. Did you consider taking the counter up as the backsplash? I like how it has the same veining as the fireplace, but lighter. If you want more contrast, have you considered using the fireplace tile in the backsplash? Or maybe the same design as the fireplace tile in a smaller/different shape (eg hexagon) if it exists!

• A F

Thanks for the kind words Kirsten! We thought about doing the same quartz countertop and going up for our backsplash but unfortunately it is not in the budget anymore. We splurged too much on some of the other parts of our renovation. We are trying to gear away from more veining hence the solid black for the 3d wall tile since we thought more veining would be too much especially since our floor tile is also a carrera marble look. It doesn't really show on the pictures that I took in the tile showroom but the way that the light bounces off the different angles of the 3D wall tile is amazing and I think it is a showstopper. Just wondering if the look is worth the extra cleaning. Our house is very minimal with all the white walls so I want the kitchen to be a focal point.

• Jennifer Svensson

I like the idea and I love a hex any day. Personally I would worry a little bit about cleaning a black glossy tile.. would you see smudges and streaks...? I’d go with something simpler and lower maintenance.. but then again, I always tend to play it safe.. and safe can be a little bit boring. best of luck!

Ps: what paint color are the walls painted with? Love it!

• Sammy

I wouldn’t worry about it being difficult to clean. I mean, it’s just not that hard to wipe it off! Now, would I choose that tile for your backsplash? No, but it has nothing to do with the three dimensionality of it. :)

• cpartist

Absolutely do it. It will be stunning and today's tiles are not hard to keep clean. Grout isn't either.

• A F

Thanks Jennifer! I played safe with my first house but with this being our forever home I've been going with my gut even when it went against what my contractor told me. Becoming more of a minimalist now and leaning more toward that style I want everything in my home "to bring me joy" as Marie Kondo says. I'm just wondering if in 10 years from now as styles change if this will bring me enough joy to make up for all the extra time spent cleaning. I already told my husband that I might want him to redo our backsplash in 10 years if I don't love it anymore. Thankfully he agreed to doing it. I will take a look at the paint cans later and let you know. It was a paint color from Benjamin Moore that we color matched with Behr. We went through SOO many whites before settling with this white.

• A F

Thanks Sammy for your input! I love to hear others opinions. Can you be more specific about what part you don't like? I was sold on this tile from a designer from a tile store and I'm hoping I wasn't too convinced by her. Before I spend $30 per sq ft I want to make sure it is THE ONE!

• A F

Thanks cpartist! Do you have tile behind your stove? If so, do you feel the clean up is too much? I originally wanted to use a slab for the backsplash to avoid grout but that is no longer in the budget. I HATE grout but I love the look of the tile.

• Kirsten E.

With that additional info, I say go for it! Personally, I’m going with a thicker sanded grout to get the look I want, so I’m sacrificing some ease of cleaning for aesthetics myself haha. Please share the final results!

• stillpitpat

FYI, TileBar has that in a very dark gray for $18/sf.

TileBar 3d hex

• A F

Thanks stillpitpat! That is way better than the $30/sq ft I was quoted today. Have you every purchased from tilebar? If so did you like it? I've never ordered tiles online since I like to look at and feel the tile in person.

• stillpitpat

You can order 5 samples from them for $5, and they are a good company. My designer recommended them, and we got our 3d tiles from them (she ordered).

(crappy coffee maker and cord are now gone)

• stillpitpat

They were also shipped with excellent packaging. I don't think a single one was broken or chipped.

• A F

Oh nice! Are your outlets under the cabinet?

• daisychain01

I think the tile goes very well with the rest of your kitchen and, since you say it is your forever home, I would do it - but only if it makes your heart sing. Not because a designer sold you on it. It is a real statement and not the sort of thing everyone will love and anything glossy black will need extra upkeep, so you need to really love it. I have black cabs and I love the look enough that I don’t mind the extra wiping to keep them looking good.

Also, think about the whole picture. How are you going to accessorize? How will it go with the rest of your home? Everything is very cool toned at the moment and this tile will build on that. Are u okay with that? Is there some way you can add warmth if you feel you need it? Not trying to discourage you, just trying to bring up things that might come into play.

• stillpitpat

yep, outlets under the cabs. very convenient.

• cpartist

Yep, I have tile behind my stove and had tile behind the stove in my last place. Even spattered tomato sauce one time behind the last one and it cleaned right up. This is my tile now (doors were opened to show the spice racks on another thread. LOL). Not 3D but I do have light colored grout!

• Karen Rose

I think it’s bad @ss and you should definitely go for it. We cook a ton, fry and everything, and I have charcoal gray glass backsplash tile and rarely have to clean behind the stove, and if so just a quick wipe down and windex. Glass tile is easy to keep clean.

• Sammy

Well, you’re welcome, first of all! Now to answer your question, I’m not crazy about a black backsplash for your particular kitchen (which is really sharp, btw). It’s something to do with black, a heavier/grounding color, being used above/sitting on the white counters. If you had black countertops I’d be on board, ‘cause they are cool tiles! However, in this case, I think I’d choose the white version. Actually, I would probably choose a color like Pantone’s Radiant Orchid and do a back-painted glass backsplash...or even that blue tile I see on the periphery of one of your photos. But that’s what brings ME joy — color — and this is not about me; it’s about YOU! :)

• Sammy

@stillpitpat: Your countertops are Corian, if I recall correctly, aren’t they? Really sharp!

• cpartist

Well, you’re welcome, first of all! Now to answer your question, I’m not crazy about a black backsplash for your particular kitchen (which is really sharp, btw). It’s something to do with black, a heavier/grounding color, being used above/sitting on the white counters. If you had black countertops I’d be on board, ‘cause they are cool tiles! However, in this case, I think I’d choose the white version

I disagree. The black will help define the space and tie it into the fireplace. Putting white tile up is the safe choice and honestly safe is getting more and more boring.

• A F

Thanks Daisychain01 for pointing out all of those different things. We are minimalists who love sparse white walls and open spaces hence all the black and white. We find that clear countertops (when they are actually clear which is rare with 2 kids) are very calming to us. In terms of accessorizing we weren't planning on it. Our last home had tons of stuff on the counter (toaster oven, salt & pepper, decor...) but with this kitchen I designed it so that everything would have its own place in a cabinet or drawer so nothing would have to be out. We want to accesorize but can't think of anything that we should use to accesorize. We have the large fruit bowl in the middle of the island. We love the look of it when it has fruit in it and also when it is empty. We don't know how else to accesorize it. We don't want anything out on display unless it is useful and/or beautiful otherwise we don't feel like it is worth the extra clutter or the extra time dusting/cleaning. Any suggestions for accessories?

As for the cool vs warm tones. I hope this isn't a stupid question...do we NEED warm tones??? I love the monochromatic look. Even our pics in our frame were deliberately done in black and white. We have our fiddle leaf fig tree and a few other house plants to add some life to the space but aside from that our home is pretty black and white aside from some random areas that have a little color. Is it bad to just use cool tones???

Below is our entry way. Notice all the black and white? Lol! Please try to disregard the missing baseboards and the nonmatching door frame. That is the current project my husband is working on. The front door also needs to be painted black and the ceiling light needs to be replaced to a black light that makes a little bit of a statement.

• A F

Stillpitpat do you remember how much you spent to have the outlets put under the caninet? I didn't think of doing that and now I'm wondering how much it would cost to have it done. I can't imagine a 3D black tile backsplash and some ugly outlets destroying the look! My husband said to just do black electrical wall plates instead of white but I'm thinking that will still look ugly.

• A F

Cpartist I'm glad to know that your tile backsplash behind the sink hasn't been.to much of a problem to clean since that is what I'm worried about! Do you guys cook often? Do you ever have kids cooking? Ny husband and I are careful when we cook but my 4 and 6 year old boys are a different story. When they help us cook it looks exactly like what you would expect to see when a 4 and 6 year old cook...a disaster! A disaster in a beautiful kitchen but still a disaster.

• A F

Thanks Karen Rose! Gives me hope that we can keep it clean.

• A F

Thanks Sammy! At first I wanted a completely white kitchen but then realized I want contrast. I can't do white because I really want a contrasting backsplash. That is why I was thinking gray or black.

• A F

Thanks cpartist! I agree with you on the black and defining the space. I definitely don't want to play too safe. I am just afraid of getting sick of the 3D tiles. Thankfully my husband agreed to replace the backsplash if in 10 years or something I get sick of it.

• Sammy

Huh? You can’t disagree (or agree for that matter) with how color makes me feel. And I suggested the white 3D tile not because I like to play it safe but because, again, of how it makes me feel, and because of the yin yang it will create with the black fireplace wall.

• Sammy

Not sure if you saw what I added to my previous comment, which I was editing pretty much as soon as I hit the submit button:

Actually, I would probably choose a color like Pantone’s Radiant Orchid and do a back-painted glass backsplash...or even that blue tile I see on the periphery of one of your photos. But that’s what brings ME joy — color — and this is not about me; it’s about YOU! :)

• Sammy

Btw, who made your cabinets—and did they also make the pieces in the foyer? Do you love ‘em?

• drsaj

The black hex tile will look amazing and tie in the fireplace. I think you should go for it!

• A F

Thanks drsaj!

• A F

Sammy I did reread your post. I used to love accent walls with lots of color and I've totally changed since then. There is something to be said when I have to rent out 2 storage units to hold our stuff while looking for a house then seeing all the boxes upon boxes in our new home that made me get rid of nearly half our things. Thankfully my husband quickly got on the minimalist boat.

Which blue tile were you referring to? The only blueish tile is our floor tile. It is 24" x 48" blue carrera tile but it is gray with blue undertones.

The foyer cabinets are Ikea Besta and the kitchen ones are Ikea kitchen cabinets that my husband installed. We LOVE the cabinets for the different options we had and the versatility and storage capabilities. There are so many different cabinet options and storage options that make organizing a breeze. The foyer cabinets even had different depths because I had to take into account the front door swinging inward. It is nice to be able to pick and choose each different option (depth, doors, glass vs wood shelving etc). When I organized my kitchen after my husband installed the cabinets I was even able to add on drawers inside a drawer that we did not reach really plan for but after I organize my kitchen things I realized I needed it. The organizers built for the cabinets are amazing too. I can't imagine being able to organize my kitchen especially my kids snack drawer without the Ikea organizing trays. Everything has its place.

• A F

Sammy with the Ikea Besta foyer cabinets I was even able to choose which parts would be drawers and which ones would be cabinets based off organizatinal needs and accesibility for my kids. Plus they store a LOT!

• zinnia

A F, I know exactly what you mean about the joy of no clutter on your counters :) Love your ikea planning and your decor. Don’t change a thing!!!

I am a person who loves accent color, and I love those turquoise tiles on the sample pic, last pic of I think your first post! I never heard of 3D tiles, how cool!!!

• A F

Thanks Zinnia! Since you get where I'm coming from with the clutter on the countertop can I ask what you have on your countertop? I just have my fruit bowl on my island (I need to have my router that you can see in the corner of the kitchen relocated) but am not against having something else out so long as it is functional and/or beautiful. I haven't been able to find anything else to have out on my countertop.

• zinnia

I fail the functional and beautiful countertop decor :) I have a cookie jar that was a gift from a dear friend underneath the cabs of our L and a knife block my husband made in the far end! That is it, and nothing makes me happier! I honestly would not have those two items but for sentiment! I do have glass inset in the upper cab doors, which I have put some decor pieces, but I am not a knick knack person, with that being said I am on the hunt for those special pieces myself for the uppers :)

• A F

Thanks Zinnia.

• zinnia

A F a picture of my countertops! Shannon in WI please note the gray floors :) Ugh can’t get photo to load... A F my kitchen Reveal is posted here around the 4th of July lol!

• A F

Zinnia I can't see the pic. How do I see it?

• zinnia

Ugh, it won’t load, edited my post above!

• zinnia

A F it is titled Kitchen Reveal 1970 Update and I bumped it for you to find easier :)

• stillpitpat

Your countertops are Corian, if I recall correctly, aren’t they?

Yup, I love them. And the long wall of my backsplash is back-painted glass. We did the funky white tiles on the one wall because kids would be sitting there and we figured tile would hold up better to their kicks than a painted wall. And since we had enough tile, we did the tiny space in our beverage center.

do you remember how much you spent to have the outlets put under the caninet? I didn't think of doing that and now I'm wondering how much it would cost to have it done.
    I don't know how much that cost specifically. It was rolled into the electrical costs. What I do know is that it cost us $600 to move a lightswitch box from the middle of (what would become) my glass backsplash. I signed off on the placement because I was a bit overwhelmed and just wanted to be done with the electrical walk-through. Then, of course, I had second thoughts, and I realized how bad it would look to have a lightswitch there. I asked the contractor to move it a day or two later, but it was already wired, hence the cost. The electrician wasn't too happy with me because he had to redo all his work.

• Jennifer Svensson

Good on you for making your IKEA items look so high end! I love IKEA (it’s in my Swedish genes, I’m biased I know..) My kitchen is also IKEA and now I’m looking at bestå for my living room wall (it used to have a fireplace and I contemplated doing something like you did, it’s stunning, but we’re going to save that money and splurge on something else..

Post pictures of your kitchen once it’s done- would love to see the end result!