Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfar54

What would you do with this room?

pfar54
4 years ago

A couple of months ago I moved into a new house. Since then, I still haven't decided what to do with one of the rooms. I have essentially three rooms that could be considered a "living room". They are technically called a great room, family room and living room. The great room is the room we use the most for entertaining, watching tv and socializing.

The room in question is the family room, which connects directly to the great room (the great room was a large addition to the house at 700 sq ft). The family room has a fire place and is decently sized at around 18x22 ft. It is in between the great room and kitchen.

I am unsure what to do with this room. All we have in it now is some kid toys and tables. I thought about just getting one couch and calling it a day, but wanted to get other opinions.

In the future, I will be extending my kitchen back further into the dining room (opposite way of the family room) and making the current kitchen an eat in kitchen in case anyone was going to suggest this.

Room in question - family room

Great room

Kitchen - where you can see the family room

Comments (23)

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Eljin Construction of NY, Inc. - Murray Hill Townhouse · More Info

Boulder Residence · More Info

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    4 years ago

Music room, reading room, office.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I want to come play in here:

Family Headquarters Play Room · More Info

• pfar54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not sure why the pictures posted sideways. They aren't like that in the original format. We have a basement that serves as a playroom with a trampoline. There are just some toys up there. Also I have a dedicated office already.

• J J
    4 years ago

following

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

Can you post a floorplan with dimensions?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Adult playroom? Pool table, bar, seats, etc on one sauce and library on other?

• pfar54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the original blueprints for the house build. Where the outdoor deck is located is where the great room is (dimensions 28x25).

• pfar54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To add more clarity: I have a large finished basement that has a kids playroom, bar and workout area in it.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

So in other words, pfar54, your house is too big. ;-)

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I hope I understand - I'd want more access to food and drink while sitting in the farthest room. In middle room [FR?] you could probably easily add a counter of that, adding wine fridge and whatever else suits.

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

That floorplan is helpful. So if I understand correctly, the current dining room is adjoining in the kitchen and in the area with tile floor. You want (in the near future) to open the kitchen to that area and treat it as an eat-in kitchen? Is that right? If so, it makes me wonder if you'll want a formal dining room. That family room is pretty big for a formal dining room but...it's the space you've got.

Aside from any of that, this family room is visible from the kitchen. Would you want a library/study area for the kids to do their homework or crafts, so they are in another room but you can still see them? It looks like your kitchen already has a desk area and you said you have a private office.

What other functionality does your family need? Maybe google around for dream homes to see what other people do with so much space--maybe concern the great room to a fancy media room and have this family room be a more traditional family room. Maybe the Kardashians have idea lol

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Instead of bumping the kitchen back, you could bump it forward. The great room could become the family room in the future.

Or, it could be a theater, billiards room, exercise room, even another bedroom. (some construction would have to take place for some of these.

I also think it's a great space for.........wait.........a deck!

• pfar54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I currently have a formal dining room to the right of my kitchen, You can see the start of it in the blueprint. There is a wall in-between the kitchen and dining room. I will be doing a kitchen renovation which involves tearing out that wall and making the existing dining room and kitchen into one space.

Also, I have two decks that surround my great room.

• acm
    4 years ago

You sort of have too much house. Get a bunch of plant shelves and take up indoor gardening. Make an elaborate computer office. Or just let it sit.

• PRO
    NSR HANDCRAFTS
    4 years ago

100% hand-painted custom luxury wallpaper, make the room decoration more easy!
    This custom chinoiserie Collection and panoramic collection offer an impressive selection of hand-painted designs. We pride ourselves in our ability to create a bespoke scene for your specific needs. Please inquire to learn what we can create for you The fine quality wallpaper and best factory price, and can scale down your budgets , short delivery date, saft and easy, why not contact the chinese manufacturer directly? NSR HANDCRAFTS ( www.chinese-wallpaper.com), with more than 320 cooperators of interior designer / companies in USA, would like help you and more interior designers to realize the perfect design idea!
    Browse our website to see the wallpaper details of every pattern, more big and clear photos thatrecorded every order we have done.
    www.chinese-wallpaper.com, welcome you!

handmade wallpaper from NSR HANDCRAFTS · More Info

http://www.chinese-wallpaper.com/english/design/Chinoiserie-Silver-Leaf-wallpaper-lily-Details.html

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Why are you using the great room as your main tv area, as opposed to the family room? Do you have a swimming pool or do you want one?

• pfar54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm using the great room as the main tv area because it is a bigger room and has better lighting in it.

No, I don't have a swimming pool and don't want one.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I can see that it the family room is a smaller area than the great room. Thanks for confirming. Also, with the entrance to the great room smack in the center of the family room, the dining room side of the family room is, in essence a walkway.

Therefore, for now, I would set up the area by the fireplace with a a a couple of comfortable chairs or chairs/sofa......sort of a second sitting area.....place to get away, etc.

On the wall that abuts the dining area, I'd put 2 bookcases or simple console tables and lamps.

A Royal View · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

NSR has a point, that adding an atmosphere that you really love could make it a place you'd enjoy being in.... and then find a few pieces that go with it.

A fireplace of a different kind than the other room?

• PRO
    Century Billiards
    4 years ago

Pool Table with shuffleboard table sounds nice ;)

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

I would set it up as a library/card table/pool table game room. Bookshelves on the no window wall with a library ladder. Four chairs with a round table that can have a card top/poker top added to it.

If you are eliminating the dining room, I would add a dining space at the kitchen end.

And a couple of comfy chairs by the fireplace.

You can make that large space very cozy.