Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Does anyone grow Amaranth?

dirtygardener
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I found some old Amaranth seeds when cleaning out my seed box. I have Red Amaranth, Joseph's Coat and a hybrid ornamental called "Illumination." They're pretty old seeds, but they've been kept refrigerated, so I thought I'd try them this winter, because they need cool temperatures to germinate.

I used to harvest "pigweed" (Palmer's Amaranth) from abandoned farm properties when I lived in SC. I'm sure it had tons of chemicals in it, but I wasn't really into organic gardening back then. I read recently that it's become completely immune to RoundUp, and in fact, it seems to grow larger in RoundUp sprayed fields. The revenge of the pigweed! Gotta love it.

Sadly, it's more nutritious and easier/cheaper to grow then any of the crops it's endangering, but you can't ship it to China, so nobody wants it. I'm thinking of pulling up all my milkweed (which gets eaten every season before it blooms) and red shrimp plant and replacing it with amaranth. Might as well get some food out of this garden before I leave.

If you have any Callaloo Amaranth seeds you'd like to share, let me know.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting