Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marc_banghart

Mold Counts High - can't find source

Marc Banghart
4 years ago

Hi all!

I am posting this to get some additional thoughts. I recently had an air quality test done in my old 1921 home mainly because I was having a lot of allergies. Turned out aspergillis and pennicilium spore count was about 3500 when adjusted for a cubic meter. External sample was 25 normalized to a cubic meter. House is on a crawl space that does not have a vapor barrier. Only took one internal and one control sample. Internal sample was by one of the two AC returns.

There is no visible signs of mold inside the house. I have not inspected the attic yet, however I have been told it is unlikely to contain mold. I have looked in the crawl space as well and did not find anything.

My insurance company is sending out an inspector to do a detailed inspection (not an adjuster) in a few days. I am hoping they will find the source.

I had a few mold remediation companies come out and give me their thoughts. Both suggested the HVAC system should be cleaned and that we should run several air scrubbers for some period. They seem to think this is sufficient. I have borrowed a Dryez 500 scrubber from a friend, which I am currently running in the house.

Is it possible for mold counts to get this high without an active source in my house/crawlspace? The house is old and the windows have not been replaced. Thus, I suppose given the recent hurricanes and humid weather that external spore counts could have been high. I personally do not buy that the count would get this high without a source in my home, but interested in opinions. High likelihood that my insurance company will not cover this, thus I am trying to not spend money that is not needed. Of course I do want my home safe for my child.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Comments (7)

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Put a vapor barrier in the crawl space. It needs it, and it may be all that needs to be done. Let us know what the inspector finds..

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    4 years ago

I would do a thorough inspection of the attic...you just never know...
    Do you have drainage issues outdoors?
    Does water pond up in your crawl space during a rain event?
    Also a.c. units can be notorious for mold sources.....condensate , ductwork in hot locations etc.
    All the best. Hope you have good luck with the detective work.
    Let us know how you make out...

• Marc Banghart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looks like the crawl space is the issue. My AC ducts are also dry rotted so we will end up replacing those. I live in Florida thus the crawl space humidity is basically the issue. No standing water, but just a humid environment. Vapor barriers have been recommended, but to be honest there is no way we can afford one. Considered doing it myself, but worried about doing it properly. I would assume an improperly installed vapor barrier will make the situation worse. Additionally, we get hit by a hurricane usually yearly, and although my house has never flooded the neighborhood usually does. Not sure how a vapor barrier will hold up in a hurricane. I spoke with some neighbors and thus far have yet to find anyone with a vapor barrier. I imagine the majority of the neighborhood has crawlspace mold.

Of course I will get the mold remediated, but trying to find less costly solutions (even if short term) besides a vapor barrier. Is there any value in installing a dehumidifier in the crawl space without a vapor barrier? As usual I appreciate all the advice!

Thanks

Marc

• DavidR
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I imagine the majority of the neighborhood has crawlspace mold.

Could be. The idea of living at 72 degrees and 40-50% humidity year round is a modern one.

Fifty or 60 years ago, home air conditioning was still considered a luxury. In the summer, it was hot and humid. Things got moldy from time to time, and you wiped them down with a bleach solution, if and when you noticed it.

No doubt hidden mold and mildew was all around us. Cellars and crawl spaces felt damp and smelled musty. That was just the way it was. Somehow, we survived.

Maybe people are more sensitive to molds today. If so, it could be a reaction to industrial and/or agricultural and/or domestic chemical pollutants around us, but that's just a wild guess.

Or maybe we're just less willing to put up with allergy symptoms that our parents and grandparents considered part of normal living.

I've lived most of my life in older houses with those damp, musty-smelling cellars. Where I live now, the cellar dehumidifier runs day and night all summer long, and barely manages to keep the humidity below 70%. I've never had a mold test done in this house, but I wouldn't be surprised if my numbers were even higher than yours. I'm not dead yet, though. :)

This is not to suggest that you should ignore your situation, far from it. I'm just pondering here, and thinking that if this were, say, 1959, this matter probably wouldn't have even come up.

You'd have your windows wide open every night, to fill the house with cooler night air, which BTW is what the architect who designed your 1921 house expected. He couldn't possibly have foreseen nearly universal air conditioning, and for sure didn't design your house for it. Your indoor air quality would therefore be pretty close to the outdoor air quality.

You also wouldn't have spent much of your life with the news media's breathless and profitable fearmongering over every possible potential household hazard, from asbestos in your floor tiles to bacteria in your dish sponge.

So you might not have allergy problems, and even if you did, it's unlikely that you'd be worrying about mold spores in your house.

Food for thought, perhaps, if not for action. Now I'll bow out of this thread, and get out of the experts' way.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

Go on Youtube and look for crawl space encapsulation. There will be lots of videos on what is required and how to do it. It's not rocket science. It's hard, nasty, and dusty work. That's why most people hire companies to do it. But, you can do it yourself. The poly that you are seeing is available on the web. You can buy something very similar at Home Depot or Lowes. It's a question of understanding the goal, the steps needed, and acquiring the right materials. The YouTube videos will help.